View Diary: Paul Weyrich wanted fewer people to vote for a simple reason: When more do, Republicans lose (73 comments)

•  Yep.. they've been trying to usurp democracy for (15+ / 0-)

a long time.  He's just one of a long line of spawn dating back to King George.

The nice thing about the History of the USA - so far, we have won.  Sometimes we have to fight (i.e. the Revolution, the Civil War, the Civil Rights movement, Democracy for America, etc), but we, so far, have always won in the end.

We will this time too.  God bless America.

Howard Dean will always be my president.

by 4democracy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 12:01:05 PM PST

•  Story of America: (14+ / 0-)

From the earliest election in which only white, males, land owners were allowed to vote.  Each on of those categories had to be forced down by people with a stake in the country.

Even beyond the right to vote, it can be seen in the direct election of senators, it is the same pattern.

BTW - - how many sharks is Tom Brokaw going to jump before they put him on ice???

He is on my teevee, right now talking about "the tea party is not going away". . .

Yeah, well, guess the f'*k what Tom?  Neither are all the brown people, or the African Americans, or women and everyone else that is going to mow them over this year.

Now he is talking Benghazi!  Just send him across the street, they eat that up over there Tom, good God!

Blessed are the peacemakers, the poor, the meek and the sick. Message to Repug Fundies: "DO you really wonder "what would Jesus do?" I didn't think so.

by 4CasandChlo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 12:10:50 PM PST

•  Universal suffrage finally got tenuous foothold in (17+ / 0-)

1960's.  Constitution was written in 1787.  Except for roughly 10 years during Reconstruction, however, only white men could vote until about 1920.   Black people of either gender couldn't meaningfully participate until the VRA in 1965.

Now we have 5 Supremes w/ the VRA in its sights.  We already have voter ID laws specifically passed to restrict the franchise.   Early voting hours are curtailed in some jurisdictions, and GOP election officials play games w/  hours in other jurisdictions.

Personally, I wish that Goopers would start wearing white hoods and robes and be honest about their intentions.  Cross-burnings would not, I guess, help them attract Catholic voters.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 12:37:53 PM PST

•  You know, as a kid or teen, I guess, I used to (6+ / 0-)

like Tom Brokaw's broadcasts.

But these days, he just seems like a despicable bitter man. His attitude seems to be:  "You all are worthless. I know who's important and decent and it isn't you!" (the general public, I guess)

He seems like the ultimate "Get off my grass!" crank - disdain for practically everyone.

by YucatanMan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 01:15:25 PM PST

•  Hilarious! (3+ / 0-)
        cotterperson, 4CasandChlo, chazz509

"how many sharks is Tom Brokaw going to jump before they put him on ice???"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two." - Nisargadatta Maharaj.

by mkor7 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 02:01:01 PM PST

•  God bless America, indeed: (6+ / 0-)

Der Spiegel online staff have a really good synopsis of the state of America -- a lot of blame thrown towards the teapublicans and the goopers' obstructionism:

Faux News ruined my state

by sc kitty on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 12:30:16 PM PST

•  after 2000 and 2004 (1+ / 0-)
      LNK

you call this "winning"?
      Hardly.
      we squeaked by in 2008 because we had a guy who was two steps ahead of their lousy game.
      We'll see what tomorrow brings, but even if we squeak by again, this is NOT what I call "winning".

We have GOT to revamp the entire election process/procedure. Federal elections should be under FEDERAL jurisdiction, period. One process, one procedure, the same for EVERYONE EVERYWHERE, period.

Centralize the "shenanigans"--at least that way, they're easier to keep track of/keep in check.

•  THe odds were against women in 1920 and blacks (4+ / 0-)

in the 1960's.  The right-wing bullies of power had an edge that was unfair, and yet people organized and won change.  We are most certainly not where we need to be in this young country, and the electoral process is a good example of what's still wrong.  However, don't forget the miracle that happened in 2008, happened because the People did win.  We won something that many would have thought was impossible - we made the impossible, possible.

Every last shred of change and hope we have in our nation is because somebody, somewhere, fought really, really hard for something, and won.

Howard Dean will always be my president.

by 4democracy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 01:37:55 PM PST

•  I guess that's why I call it the (4+ / 0-)
          mkor7, howabout, 4democracy, alice kleeman

"best of all impossible worlds"....but I'm really getting tired of us having to deal with these "impossible worlds" they set up, because the world doesn't need to be this way. It really doesn't.

And I'm not so sure the shit these assholes are pulling now can be "fought" successfully. Just don't know.