View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: It’s a Wrap!! (122 comments)

•  I didn't think (13+ / 0-)

I'd really be interested either, but I just ordered a second, used e-reader (model is discontinued) in case iomething happens to my current one. Especially good for carrying around "books" in my pocket that would be a real tome in print.

•  I Find Typing On It Sucks (8+ / 0-)

outside of a line or two. But all the apps I use online for my personal life and business, all have toned down apps (Android) for the tablet. So I can get my to-do list. Contacts. Calendar. All that stuff and a lot more.

Smart phone users get this, but as much of a tech nerd as I am, I only have a "semi" smart phone.

In a month when my contract comes up I can get basically the tablet I have as a smart phone for free. Then at anytime I can sync my online accounts on my desktops/laptop with my phone and tablet.

That is going to be cool.

Oh I might note we do live in interesting times ...

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 05:32:33 PM PST

•  You have betrayed the Luddites. I completely dis- (3+ / 0-)
        cfk, webranding, Monsieur Georges

agree with all you say. But I recommend your comments for their sincerity and information.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 05:53:52 PM PST

•  LOL. If You Came To My House This Second (4+ / 0-)
          Brecht, cfk, Monsieur Georges, MT Spaces

and asked to use the bathroom you'd find books there. In fact there might be one or two rooms in my house with nothing but books.

Now all joking aside I NEVER think that tablets will replace books for me. But I like folks to read and I'd prefer they read, well actual books, but if only they do that on a tablet or reader so be it.

One of the biggest issues I have is copyright.

My dad is a reader that makes me look like a child. He is retired and bought the house across from where he lives for his books. Around 10,000 of them.

We don't have a lot in common, but we can't drive by a used bookstore and not stop. We share books 24/7.

I can't send my dad that eBook I just bought when I am done.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:03:53 PM PST

•  Wow, 10,000 books. I'm not sure I've ever seen (4+ / 0-)

that large a private library (but I was well brought-up, so I usually don't count people's books).

I'm loving the wealth and opportunity of public libraries, right now. Someone who works at this one told me that they pretty much always buy a book, if you request them to. Hooray for government doing good.

I'll eventually get one of those evil cyborg book thingies, but not yet.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:10:00 PM PST

•  About 70% Is My Dad (4+ / 0-)
              MT Spaces, cfk, Brecht, Monsieur Georges

The rest his parents and grandparents. I come from a family of readers. We don't sell our books. I keep saying I will take pics of his office and I don't. My dad has a PhD in military history. Taught at the Army War College.

In that house he also has bought mannequins to display military garb. The place isn't at the level you'd call A&E for hoarders, but close.

I am somewhat OCD and it is hard for me to walk into the place.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:29:13 PM PST

•  Let Me Give You An Example (4+ / 0-)
              cfk, Brecht, Monsieur Georges, MT Spaces

I was talking with my mom the other day. I suggested I get them a tablet or smart phone for X-mas. Something that would have a bar code reader.

My dad often buys two or three of the same book.

He doesn't even know he has them until he gets home.

I could help him archive his books so that doesn't happen.

I was told it would never happen .....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:35:27 PM PST

•  You see, that makes no sense. I know, you do see. (3+ / 0-)
                cfk, MT Spaces, Monsieur Georges

I have 6,000 albums, and I've always been proud of never buying the same album twice. But now that I've done it a few times, I'll have to make a database of my collection, and print it out, to avoid expensive duplication.

And books aren't cheap. Your dad needs a bar code reader. But I've seen plenty of this with my relatives - the getting stuck in a habit long past the bounds of rationality.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 07:05:25 PM PST

•  I totally understand the many advantages (4+ / 0-)
          MT Spaces, webranding, cfk, Brecht

of e-readers and storing music in clouds and all that, but it's hard to give up one's collections.

•  Balancing the books I cherish vs. the space I need (3+ / 0-)
            cfk, MT Spaces, Monsieur Georges

I'll eventually have a library of only those books I think worth reading thrice; for those books I expect to read just once, a temporary electronic version will suffice.

I just hope there aren't any books worth reading exactly twice.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 07:01:25 PM PST

•  I have to get one. (5+ / 0-)

I'm not sure it will appeal to me as much as a book does, but we travel frequently and it would be so much better to take on trips.

•  IMHO And You Didn't Ask (5+ / 0-)

if you can afford the iPad ($547 was the model I was looking at) that is the best. But I can't, even if I can afford it, paying that much for a tablet that in the grand scheme of things is my third computer.

My Nexus was $249. I spent dozens of hours looking at stuff. The Nook and Kindle Fire are nice machines. I don't mean to belittle them.

But they are not something like the Nexus and here is why.

The Nexus runs on the OS Google owns, Android. The Nexus has all the hardware of Samsung (neither make their hardware).

So IMHO you look at either the Google or Samsung (they have more than one or two at least).

BTW: Also, cause Andriod if different then the iPad OS, well I am doing everything I want on my machine and paid about $25 for apps. Android has an app for that that is free.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 05:45:46 PM PST

•  Public library books (5+ / 0-)

Just a note that while there are some downloadable (free) titles compatible with Amazon Kindle format, there are far more (in E-pub format)  that work
        with B & N Nook, Sony, etc.