View Diary: KosAbility: A Yawn of a Diary by an Insomniac (85 comments)

•  I read that also. (11+ / 0-)

The devices reset  our sleep cycle:

… a new poll by the National Sleep Foundation suggests one of the things keeping us up at night may be our smartphones, our laptops, our TVs, all that technology in the bedroom keeping us mentally engaged until later in the evening. [...] And those devices may be impacting the chemistry of our brains, too, by exposing to the bright lights of those screens at nighttime, sort of pressing the reset switch on our sleep cycle.
    I think that Busy Brain Syndrome is the "keeping us mentally engaged until later in the evening" part of this. The brain needs a cycle down time.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:30:32 PM PST

•  That looks like what I saw. (10+ / 0-)

I go around the house turning things off after 8 pm,  I am only kept awake at night by having too much to do "tomorrow",  busy brain?  I do like the routine of News, weather, sports near bedtime.  I am rarely still awake for sports.

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

by weck on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:01:25 PM PST

•  I have tried the total darkness routine, and (12+ / 0-)

my bedroom is very dark, laptops and fish tanks off. (I find the water sounds soothing before they shut off at 10PM.) Believe me, I have tried about every routine there is!

Also tried several kinds of meditation, and what keeps me awake is not my brain, busy or otherwise. There is no interior mental chatter when I want interior silence.

Something different goes on. What it is, I'm not sure, but there is enough of an EEG variance to indicate some neurological malfunction.

It has been well said that a hungry man is more interested in four sandwiches than four freedoms. ~ Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.

by 4Freedom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:16:22 PM PST

•  Sports can be a real problem. (10+ / 0-)

For example, tonight the Packers play the NY Giants in a game that starts at 7:20pm. If I watch the entire game and we lose, I have all the bad plays replaying in my brain when I try to sleep. If I watch the entire game and we win, I have all the good plays replaying in my brain when I try to sleep. So even if the game ends at 10:30pm, I can't go to sleep for at least another hour or hour and a half which could be midnight ... and I have to get up at 4am to start my day. Not enough sleep to be productive.

So I will likely watch the first half and watch the end of the game off my DVR.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 03:31:29 PM PST

•  It just doesn't seem fair that the East coast (7+ / 0-)

teams' games have to start so late!  And on the West coast they start so early!  My worst sport for staying up too late is hockey; I won't be worrying about that any time soon. Ha!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

by weck on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 04:26:01 PM PST

•  Have they cancelled the season yet? (4+ / 0-)
            4Freedom, KelleyRN2, weck, Sara R

I am a college women's hockey fan. Wisconsin has a long tradition of hockey but the state has never had an NHL team.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 04:36:59 PM PST

•  The season is canceled through Dec. 15, and both (4+ / 0-)
              JanF, Sara R, 4Freedom, KelleyRN2

the new years special game and the all star game are canceled.  I Get Rochester NY tv, get to follow RIT teams, men and women.  Also we have an AHL team that feeds the Buffalo Sabres.  I'm missing hockey; even If I have to listen to it on radio because the dish can't get the rights to broadcast, I still need that thrill!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

by weck on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:27:02 PM PST