View Diary: Daily Kos Elections 2012 downballot liveblog thread #13 (177 comments)

•  I remember my shame that New York (4+ / 0-)
    Audrid, ArkDem14, ER Doc, Woody

voted for Reagan in 1984. That is a really long time ago. Before that, it voted for Nixon in 1972. Without checking, I think those are the only two times in my lifetime (b. 1965) that New York voted Republican for President, but we voted for Republican governors and senators a bunch of times.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 02:57:12 AM PST

•  I literally can't (4+ / 0-)
      kleinburger, MichaelNY, ER Doc, elfling

come up with reasonable math for a Republican winning a statewide office in New York under normal circumstances. That isn't possible any more. Even with excellent candidates, excellent political environment, and damaged/very liberal and/or non-incumbent races, Republicans still came well short of winning the Attorney General and State Comptroller in 2010, and Kirsten Gillibrand just got 73% of the vote.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 03:03:22 AM PST

•  Republicans used to be different... (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, Woody, elfling

There used to be a whole bunch of "Rockefeller Republicans," socially liberal but fiscally conservative, named after Nelson Rockefeller. Those folks could still do well in New York & other places, but they can't get nominated because the Teapublicans have driven them from the party.

-7.25, -6.26

We are men of action; lies do not become us.

by ER Doc on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 03:45:51 AM PST

•  But we also elected non-Rockefeller Republicans (1+ / 0-)
        ER Doc

Neither Governor Pataki nor still less Senator Alphonse D'Amato was a Rockefeller Republican.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 03:52:20 AM PST

•  they were still palatable for dems like myself (1+ / 0-)
          ER Doc

D'Amato's lifetime ACU was still only like 56 and if Pataki was a senator, I doubt his would have been much higher.

RRH expat (known as AquarianLeft). Also known as freepcrusher on leip atlas forum

by demographicarmageddon on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 07:20:17 AM PST

•  Yeah, Pataki was no John Lindsay, but (2+ / 0-)
            Woody, ER Doc

I don't think he was THAT conservative, either.

"The election of Mitt Romney and a supporting congress this November would be a...disaster for America. Think of the trainwreck that has been the Conservative government in Britain since 2010. And square it."--Brad DeLong

by bjssp on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 08:10:13 AM PST

•  D'Amato is pro-life (0+ / 0-)

He was also a corrupt though unindicted machine politician.

Pataki was actually more moderate - basically, a social liberal and decent environmentalist, but aggressively screwed New York City and other cities, and particularly poor people, such as through extreme underfunding of public education in cities generally and poor neighborhoods specifically.

So you are obviously not very liberal if you found guys like that palatable.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 04:56:58 PM PST

•  well here's how I view it (0+ / 0-)

guys like D'Amato, Pataki, Conte etc are benign meaning their harmless and I see nothing wrong with them. Guys like McClintock, Pence, Garrett etc are more malignant and to be avoided at all costs.

by demographicarmageddon on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:00:58 PM PST

•  Silvio Conte (0+ / 0-)

was actually a pretty liberal Republican. Pataki was very harmful, as I indicated. He wasn't harmful only if you don't give a damn about cities and the poor.

D'Amato was as right-wing as someone could be and still win elections in New York in his day. He couldn't have been Jesse Helms.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 06:36:12 PM PST

• Recommended (149)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site