View Diary: Mitch McConnell offers a helpful reminder of why Senate Democrats must reform the filibuster now (226 comments)

•  If I were a betting man (9+ / 0-)

I think I'd place my bet that the filibuster will remain at 60.  I'd be very surprised if Reid rocks the status quo with a rules change.  Both sides have it good with gridlock.  Republicans can say "hey we're stopping those kooky libs at every turn!" and Democrats can say "we keep trying but those wiley Republicans keep outfoxing us!"

NOW SHOWING
    Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
    Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 10:58:28 AM PST

•  Probably agree..they wouldn't in 112th..but we'll (4+ / 0-)

See they may be brave enough to push some change through even if it is only that filibustere must remain on floor! as it used to be.

Proud to be part of the 21st Century Democratic Majority Party of the 3M's.. Multiracial,Multigender and MiddleClass

by LOrion on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 11:02:42 AM PST

•  I wish he would at least (20+ / 0-)

stop letting them get away with this "soft filibuster."  If they are going to filibuster, make them get up and read the damn phonebook and not go to the bathroom for hours on end and let the whole world see who is being obstructionist.

•  I can't remember where I saw it, but (6+ / 0-)

I thought there was something about Reid saying he was going to change the rules and he wished that he had paid attention to those who wanted them changed last time.

•  No, that cannot stand, quoting ?. (7+ / 0-)

The filibuster rules must be changed. The Obstructionists, formerly known as Republicans, must get the message there will be no "compromises". They WILL be steamedrolled, they will be called out for any temper tantrums, any stupidity, any racism and misogny.

I realize the calling out of the latter will take more than 24/7. We'll help.

No reaching across the aisle, hands get cut off, haven't Democratic critters learned that yet?

President Obama, you don't need to talk nice now, call them out as obstructionists, use the power of the Presidency.

Please note my new sig line. The Dead Man, aren't you willing to pressure your Congress critters? If you haven't any Congress critters, pressure the President, Harry Reid, or any Democratic critter you like. Send them email via their committee assignments.

Five likes. Five ready to give up now. A sixth proud? of giving up.

2012-2016 President Obama, Vice President Biden, Senator Warren. For a LIFETIME, federal judges. Get the filibuster changed. Harry, the people have spoken. To all Democrats: do not reach across the aisle, your hand will get cut off. Steamroll.

by CuriousBoston on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 11:21:36 AM PST

•  My senators are worthless Republicans (1+ / 0-)
        eps62

and now one of them is a stinking asshole mother&*#$(#$ #&$(@ #$(&# $&(@ #(#@&$ teabagger.

NOW SHOWING
        Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
        Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 11:55:53 AM PST

•  I sympathize, can't claim to understand, I've (2+ / 0-)
          Laconic Lib, Calamity Jean

never been in that position.

You can reach any Democratic critter by phone, if you can afford it. (i can't afford long distance calls, or too many close distance.)

You can email any critter you want by emailing to them on their committee webpage. Senator Reid has his own webpage, you can set a link to him on your favorites bar.

I just took down the one to Scott brown, that misreable SOB, need to add Senator Warren.

I have a link to Thomas, the guide to Bills in Congress, who sponsored, co-sponsored, actions taken. Good data to have to nudge, pressure, push, or harass critters with. The more informed you are about what you want done, the more responsive AND less dismissive the critters will be.

It's possible for you to pressure Reid to change the filibuster law. Warren Senders writes an LTE every day about the enviroment. He wrote a diary describing how to write an LTE that would have a good chance of being published.

Are there Democratic groups in your area you could get in touch with? Kossacks? Maybe you/they would have some ideas on local level projects to work on.

Take or burn any or all of the above. I can't begin to imagine what I would do in your place.

by CuriousBoston on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:00:48 PM PST

•  May I ask what state you are from? (0+ / 0-)

by CuriousBoston on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:02:23 PM PST

•  Texas and the scum I'm bitching about is named (1+ / 0-)
            CuriousBoston

Cruz.  He'll probably be the "New Rubio" to prove that not all Republicans hate "Mexicans."

NOW SHOWING
            Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
            Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:09:31 PM PST

•  I know that a few Kossacks went GOTV. I don't (1+ / 0-)
              Calamity Jean

blame you for bitching. Doesn't DKos have a couple of Texas groups?

Do you think Cruz can be pressured into being human? FSM, listen to me!

I'm in a Spanish class now, to aid the Spanish I learned OJT decades ago. Maybe learning Spanish would be useful.

Please notice I am trying to inject a bit of positiveness into your situation. Not knowing how.

by CuriousBoston on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:23:23 PM PST

•  Oh I'm not despairing ;) (2+ / 0-)
                CuriousBoston, Calamity Jean

I'm pretty much used to having two useless senators.

And besides, my representative survived yet another attempt by Republicans to kill him off by gerymandering.  And that counts for something.

NOW SHOWING
                Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
                Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:32:56 PM PST

•  OH! A Democratic Rep! Good. You can help him get (1+ / 0-)
                  Calamity Jean

something done, if only reassuring she/he that you appreciate their existence. I do think they deserve pats on the back sometime.

by CuriousBoston on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 02:52:41 PM PST