View Diary: Golden results in the Golden State: Democrats dominate California (368 comments)

•  I love the top-two primary system. (6+ / 0-)

It's a model for the nation. The more centrist candidate will win more often. Extremists are an endangered species.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 07:20:07 PM PST

•  I'm not so sure about that (1+ / 0-)
      Aunt Pat

Here in Amador County I had a choice of two Republicans for State Assembly because of that change. And, prior to the change, we had a Democratic member of the State Assembly. So, I'm not sure I like the top-two business.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:03:42 PM PST

•  Give it time (1+ / 0-)
        Mr Robert

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:22:03 PM PST

•  Oh yeah, didn't redistricting (1+ / 0-)
        Mr Robert

force Richard Pan and Alyson Huber into the same District?  I was happy when both first won office so I'm sorry that they both couldn't stay in office.  Glad to see Andy Pugno lose again even if to a Republican.

Check out my new blog: http://socalliberal.wordpress.com/

by SoCalLiberal on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:20:29 PM PST

•  It came down to (0+ / 0-)

Frank Bigelow verses Rico Oller for state assembly in district 5. I voted for Bigelow and it looks like he won, but it would have been good to have a Democrat on the ballot.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:35:58 PM PST

•  I'm sorry you had to deal with that (1+ / 0-)
            Mr Robert

I had no Republican on my Congressional ballot (well I did but he was pretending to not be a Republican.....long story......) but I did on my Assembly ballot.  He got 16% of the vote I think.

Check out my new blog: http://socalliberal.wordpress.com/

by SoCalLiberal on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 08:50:19 PM PST

•  I'd prefer an instant run-off system (2+ / 0-)
      Simplify, offgrid

so people can safely vote for the candidates that best reflect their values.

•  Me too. But the reality here (1+ / 0-)
        ozoozol

is that people don't like it much. Our biggest problem electorally is that primaries favor the selection of extremists, particularly in Republican districts. Whether or not the top two system favors democrats is beside the point. It's better for the country if pressure is exerted to make it harder for extremists to win a general election. The top two system does that. If I were a non-TP Republican, I would be pushing for that everywhere.

by Anne Elk on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 07:39:52 AM PST

•  Perhaps so, (0+ / 0-)

but then you have districts that end up with representatives that aren't representative of their district at all, as happened a couple districts over from mine in this last election.  Too many democrats running split the vote, so even though the Democratic candidates got a larger share of the vote, only Republicans were on the ballot for the general election.  I'm not sure if it did, but the same could easily happen in Republican districts as well, and that wouldn't be right, either.

•  I understand that (0+ / 0-)

But it means that Democrats have to get a bit smarter about getting behind a candidate early. In any case, wouldn't you expect that the more moderate Republican would win given that Dems have to choose between 2 Repubs? The underlying goal of this approach is to squeeze out extremists. It may not always be good for Dems, but it's probably good for the country.

by Anne Elk on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 12:14:29 PM PST