View Diary: The colossal failure of National Organization for Marriage (186 comments)

•  What an incredibly (0+ / 0-)

thoughtless and condescending response.

I think if you look at the general frame of how people respond to the use of transgender as a noun, instead of an adjective, you might find a great number of trans people feel as I do.

But what do I know?  I am just a trans person who transitioned 18 years ago, and you are in touch with the leaders of our community.  When we've finished our little tranny squabbling, I'm sure one of the more responsible ones will be in touch with you directly, no worries.  In the meantime,  I'd like to suggest you consider what it means to turn an adjective into a noun.

In the interim, here is a post on feministing, though likely she's not one of our leaders so perhaps it is just more of that tribal stuff, y'know:

...j'ai découvert que tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos dans une chambre.

by jessical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:34:12 PM PST

•  I am sorry. (8+ / 0-)

I didn't mean to be condescending or thoughtless, I tried and clearly failed very miserably to be humorous.

I am serious, that my transgender friends, Autumn Sandeem, Mara Kiesling, Jillian Weiss and others have counseled me and other activists to say "transgender" not "transgendered."

So, I apologize. Yes. You do know what you know are you are transgendered, if that's what you'd like to be called.

But so are the other people counseling me have trained me to use the word "transgender."

So please have some mercy that I want to do the right thing.

The GLAAD media guide says "transgender" is preferred and "transgendered" is "problematic."

Problematic: "transgendered"
      Preferred: "transgender"
      The adjective transgender should never have an extraneous "-ed" tacked onto the end. An "-ed" suffix adds unnecessary length to the word and can cause tense confusion and grammatical errors. For example, it is grammatically incorrect to turn transgender into a participle, as it is an adjective, not a verb, and only verbs can be used as participles by adding an "-ed" suffix.
      Obviously no one appointed GLAAD God, but they will have an influence on how mainstream media chooses words, so AP, NY TImes and others do respect their authority on LGBT terminology.

Supporter: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!" Adlai Stevenson: "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"

by Scott Wooledge on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:42:22 PM PST

•  we're talking about different things (1+ / 0-)
        Scott Wooledge
        where she will be the first open transgender to serve.
        Really, that was it.  Transgender person or transgendered, person, well, the truth is you're going to hit a lot of usage fuss there.  Both are fraught and that's why I use "trans ".  I would not have bit your head off for that.  But note the person part.  I think the feministing article hits it well.   And yes, omitting the "person part" -- I'd bet your other sources also prefer transgender not be a noun, in vast majority.

by jessical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:50:50 PM PST

•  Again apologies. (1+ / 0-)
          jessical

Leaving "person" out has an odd, personal ring to me. "A transgender?" I guess I'll get used to it, if it's preferred.

I guess I hadn't contemplated the grammatical implication of avoiding the "-ed" part, that I've been conditioned to avoid.

Sorry. A learning moment for me.

by Scott Wooledge on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:55:50 PM PST

•  I think I am still failing here... (3+ / 0-)

...I agree with you, don't leave "person" out.  As in "where she will be the first openly transgender person to serve."  Was the change I wanted to suggest considering, way up there...

Is all.  Is all I meant to say!  My car broke today perhaps I no longer make sense to anyone.  That would be bad.

by jessical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:02:52 PM PST

•  But with that "trans" could also refer to (0+ / 0-)

a transhumanist as well.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:09:19 PM PST

•  These sort of exchanges... n/t (1+ / 0-)
        FishBiscuit
        •  I'm sorry it hurt your eyes (0+ / 0-)

I'm glad you feel that it's great to say "transgender found in park".  It makes no difference to you.  Wonderful.  It made a difference to me. Scott was very nice about it, it made a difference to him too.

by jessical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:05:58 PM PST

•  Actually, I enjoyed the exchange (4+ / 0-)

I learned something from both you and Scott, and that's always a good thing. Polite discussion should always be welcomed.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:27:44 PM PST

•  I think you misunderstand me (1+ / 0-)
            jessical

I thought you each should have given more benefit of the doubt to the other rather than being so quick to take offense.

•  you're right (1+ / 0-)
              bythesea

Though in my own defense, my initial comment was "you might consider" and I only tweaked when we'd managed to thoroughly misunderstand each other.  I should give someone like Scott the benefit of the doubt (and do, generally, here).  That particular usage sucks though, it really does, it has been used toward me in ugly ways many many times, and I hate it.  It says "I get to totalize you".  I think I'm far past offense. but not past the burden of history and language and some rage that will fade slowly in my cold grave and heat the earth for a week.  Scott deserved better.  But honestly, so did the otherwise excellent diary.

by jessical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:44:56 PM PST

• Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site