View Diary: The most annoying liberal freakouts of 2012 (674 comments)

•  Whatever. I still think there is and will be plots (7+ / 0-)

and plans to steal votes using vulnerable machines. It's my own personal piece of paranoia and I'm keeping it.

But I'm really, really happy about how the election went.

"I believe more women should carry guns. I believe armed women will make the world a better place. Women need to come to think of themselves not as victims but as dangerous." Anna Pigeon

by glorificus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 09:47:39 AM PST

•  I logged in just to rec this (13+ / 0-)

It amazes me that few diaries or posts could ever be written here , with a sense of optimism that we were winning, without someone adding a response about stealing the election and magical voting machines.  It was almost a knee jerk response... like a bless you after a sneeze.  Look, stealing the vote is possible but not very likely.  I have no idea why people keep putting emotional energy into a remote possibility rather than simply being buoyed by good news of a likely victory.

I vote Democratic because I am a woman with self-respect , who rejects bigotry of all kinds, subscribes to science, believes in universal health care, embraces unions, and endorses smart internationalist foreign policy.

by Delilah on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:27:02 AM PST

•  It is something that needs occasional addressing (2+ / 0-)
          glorificus, Delilah

I think one reason the GOP is so ardent in such time consuming and expensive methods of voter suppression, is that such attention has been focused on the integrity of machine voting.

There are sites and groups for serious discussion of software and security methods, so we really don't need to spend too much of our daily attention on voting machines. Doubts will linger, though. If people feel they've been wronged by a machine, I don't mind taking a few seconds to look up the history and tell them it's a known bug in a crummy machine.

Why is there a Confederate Flag flying in Afghanistan?

by chimpy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:35:14 AM PST

•  Republicans are super committed to fair elections (4+ / 0-)

That's the lesson we are to take away from the shining commitment of John Husted to ensuring that all Democratic voters get a fair chance to vote and that those votes are counted fairly!

Seriously, you think the integrity of the voting machinery is not an issue?  That stretches credibility to be that naive.

The GOP has pulled out every dirty trick, many of them illegal, to suppress, crush, and deny the vote.  THAT is your evidence that we need to pay attention to this issue.

Yes, there was apparently no vote stealing this time, but dismissing the issues shows a distressing willingness to dismiss the importance of those who raise a stink in keeping the vote fair.

Honestly.

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:45:03 AM PST

•  That's our goal.... but (0+ / 0-)

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 11:33:57 AM PST

•  Hello, Markos (0+ / 0-)

OK, I see that, unfortunately, you're in onion-skinned chest-beating phallus-waving prima donna mode again -- so let's have this out.

My concern -- and I think I'm the only one you called out in comments after the first debate, though I could be wrong -- was that CNN/ORC was intentionally using a strained poll to push a narrative that Romney had outpeformed Obama far more than he had.  I stand by that 100%.

After I and the diary's author and others blew up in fury at the CNN/ORC poll -- despite your snottiness towards us -- and after I started a pretty well-read Facebook page going after them and other people took their own actions that you deride as "unskewing," CNN finally noted (in a small print note on the technical details page of their poll) that Party ID in the sample they were using was highly discrepant from the ones in their other contemporaneous polls.

In other words, IT WAS SKEWED and they weren't telling to public that.  But by the time that that was admitted, the CNN/ORC's role in helping to augment the negative reaction to the President's first debate had been completed.  It was the right early bump in the trajectory at the right time.

But if you're still so annoyed at the "liberal freakout" to the CNN/ORC poll, which was represented to the public in headlines and stories simply as a sample of "voters who had watched the debate" (a phrase that I'm paraphrasing from memory) maybe you can answer this question:

Of what initial universe of respondents was that poll supposed to be a representative sample?
        If you can't answer that question -- and I don't think that you can without looking it up and maybe initiating a phone call or two -- then you have got no fucking business criticizing anyone else, because you're the one who didn't get it -- and somehow you still don't seem to get how damaging that single, first-appearing, mendacious poll was to the campaign.

(Yes, Biden and Obama then salvaged things with three strong subsequent debate performances.  But what if they hadn't?)

Pro-Occupy Democratic Candidate for California State Senate, District 29 & Occupy OC Civic Liaison.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 03:49:48 PM PST

•  I think there were plots (4+ / 0-)
      glorificus, blueoasis, hopesprings, Chi

There were plots, not too subtly disguised, to select an electorate favorable to GOP candidates. Purging rolls of people with felonious-sounding names. Restricting early voting in the wrong precincts, or at the wrong times of the week. Preferentially staffing and supplying the right precincts. Hiring and training election watchers to keep the wrong sort away from the polls. Phoning and mailing false information. All worth watching.

And, even post-election, there are fights on both sides to influence which of the absentee and provisional ballots will be counted. It's even plausible that ethically challenged governors or secretaries of state might coordinate with campaigns to delay or accelerate the process. Officials might forbid or allow independently organized intimidation of the counting process. Lots of bad things, all just this side of the law or at least plausibly grey.

But whatever levers of power Rove thought he was pulling Tuesday night, the controls were blessedly failing to respond.

Why is there a Confederate Flag flying in Afghanistan?

by chimpy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:20:01 AM PST

•  Agreed. (2+ / 0-)
        chimpy, Chi

Because truth be told, we have evidence at several botched attempts at GOP-directed fraud.

No grand Rovian conspiracy, but a lot of little shenanigans and none of them (as far as I know)  by Democrats.

I think these are legitimate concerns - as long as there are elections, there will be those who try to steal them.  The question is, what is being done to prevent that?  In this election, a whole strategy implemented by a lot of heroes made it impossible for any significant tampering to happen.

But those of us not on the inside tend to get nervous nonetheless.  Still suffering PTSD from Florida 2000.

"The ignorant mind, with its infinite afflictions, passions, and evils, is rooted in the three poisons. Greed, anger, and delusion." - Bodhidharma

by hopesprings on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 11:11:30 AM PST

•  A little paranoia isn't bad thing. (3+ / 0-)

The whole voting machine fraud concept is strong because it's plausible and has strong motive.  I don't trust "black box" machines to do what they say they do without confirmation, and confirmation is sorely lacking; thus the suspicion remains.

Still, there is not and has not been any proof that such shenanigans have taken place; and a healthy respect for reality has to acknowledge that.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ. (and donate to Bill!)

by rb608 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:40:39 AM PST

•  shenanigans? (2+ / 0-)
        glorificus, rb608

we know that electronic voting machines have lost hundreds of votes per machine, and redirected votes from one candidate to another.

IMO "crazy" is believing that this has never gone uncorrected.

It's been a hundred years, isn't it time we stopped blaming Captain Smith for sinking the Titanic?

by happymisanthropy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 06:31:54 PM PST