View Diary: Soon to be Senator Tammy Baldwin Snaps Back to Senator Ron Johnson's Condescending Put Down (233 comments)

•  not finishing the MBA (18+ / 0-)

should actually be a point in his favor. It doesn't seem like MBA programs teach anything useful, and they may actually teach things that are detrimental to running a quality business (or at the least, morally bankrupt).

I'm sure there are some good, smart, competent MBAs out there, but I'm starting to think that they're good at business in spite of having a MBA.

Is this impression wrong?

What offended me most about this guy was that he publicly outright refused to offer ANY idea of his policy ideas, saying that voters would find out after electing him. Certainly, plenty of people knew without being told, but it really offends me that someone could run that as a campaign strategy and win. Guess he knew that if he actually told people what he thought, he'd lose. That he beat Feingold still hurts, and I'm not even in Wisconsin.

•  That seems to be the Republican way (11+ / 0-)
      saying that voters would find out after electing him.
       See Romney, Mitt.
    •  MBA - the ruin of Anerica (9+ / 0-)

Came along with Reagan,

Leveraged Buyouts, Credit Default Swaps, Outsourcing, Offshoring, Underfunded Pensions...

All brainchildren of the MBA

•  My MBA was useful at understanding how (10+ / 0-)

the more deceptive politicians - and businesspeople - cook the books to their temporary, personal favor and away from the better interests of employees and the larger business, itself.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 03:26:41 PM PST

•  My dad (10+ / 0-)

has 7 masters Degrees.  Mostly in various sorts of science.  He got his MBA when he became the liaison between the engineers and the managers, and has said it should be a 1 semester course, because it is really not anything deep or special.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 04:26:45 PM PST

•  My Dad said the same (3+ / 0-)
          wader, JVolvo, bfbenn

He was a math/engineering guy who eventually moved to management and later set up his own business. Was also chair of the local Chamber of Commerce in a large city, and has a resume a mile long of other things. He's a smart guy, and was a successful businessman.

He started on getting an MBA years ago, and given that it was a timesuck while working full time and raising a family, he decided that he just wasn't learning anything terribly useful from it to justify continuing. His success in business had more to do with using his natural smarts and common sense, reading independently, watching and talking to others in business, and planning for contingencies.

I've heard way too many anecdotes of bright young MBAs coming into a company and screwing things up. Then there's GWB and Mitt. It seems that good business skills rely more on an individual's talent and drive, and I've had occasion to wonder just what kind of crap they're teaching people in these programs.

My evidence is anecdotal, so I appreciate hearing your Dad's opinion.

•  I have to defend us MBA's (4+ / 0-)
            wader, PrahaPartizan, wasatch, badscience

I feel that I learned a huge amount in my MBA program from University of Southern California, as my previous degree in Mechanical Engineering had very little to help me understand the company and the policitics within. The finance and accounting classes helped me argue with the asshats and keep people from being laid off, the Human resources and management and communucations classes helped me handle ensuring that  the transition of a transgendered employee was harrassment free for that employee, and the strategic planning classes have helped me in my whole life.  Now that I'm a self employed Realtor, it is all still very useful.  It's not the MBA programs that are terrible, it is the country's belief that those newly minted MBA's are wasting their degrees if they don't go to work for a venture capital firm.  Just as Obama didn't "waste" his law degree, not every MBA goes only for the money.

The GOP -- Hating Women, Gays and People of Color since 1854

by Former Chicagoan Now Angeleno on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 09:16:04 PM PST

•  Different Types of MBAs (2+ / 0-)
              wasatch, badscience

MBA degrees come in all flavors.  It depends on whether they focus on operational aspects of business or just finance.  The finance types think that a business can be distilled down exclusively to the finance numbers, as if one could model a business using only that metric.  Unfortunately, that particular flavor of MBA has been in the ascendant for the last forty years with the financialization of the American economy and all its attendant defects.

"Love the Truth, defend the Truth, speak the Truth, and hear the Truth" - Jan Hus, d.1415 CE

by PrahaPartizan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 11:52:49 PM PST

•  thanks n/t (1+ / 0-)
              badscience
    •  He also said (4+ / 0-)
      Mathazar, wasatch, ER Doc, badscience

that he felt he should have some time to "learn on the job" - maybe that's when he was going to figure out his policy details - and was surprised when people thought he should hit the ground running.

•  Feingold is old news (0+ / 0-)

Somebody tell Russ NOT to run against Ron Johnson for his old seat. The only reason RoJo is in that seat in the first place is because Russ unilaterally disarmed mid-campaign.

Russ Feingold will NOT clear the Democratic primary field if he runs for his old seat. He'll probably face one ambitious primary challenger who will defeat him in the primary in a landslide by attacking him for unilaterally disarming in 2010, and then go on to defeat Ron Johnson in the general election.

Wisconsin Democrats cannot trust Russ Feingold to run a dedicated campaign from start to finish.

Committed to making sure that Mark Kirk and Ron Johnson are shown the door in 2016!

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:00:15 PM PST

•  While I can see your point (0+ / 0-)

your paragraph about the Democratic primary is incorrect. Feingold might not clear the field (though he probably would), but going hard negative on him in the way you describe is a great way to get blown out in at least Dane County. Madisonians hate nasty primaries in general (see Falk, Kathleen), nasty primaries against popular local candidates in particular (see Roys, Kelda), and nasty primary attacks from the right (which is how attacking Feingold on unilateral spending limits would be seen) against popular local candidates most of all.

Now if Feingold does run, I hope he shows some sense on that issue and at least allows the party committees to run ads on his behalf. And if we could get another good candidate, that would be good as well.

Male, 22, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02. "You're damn right we're making a difference!" - Senator-Elect Tammy Baldwin (D-Madison)

by fearlessfred14 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 03:21:07 PM PST

•  Jon Erpenbach considering 2014 WI-Gov run? (0+ / 0-)

Jessica Pieklo, a personal friend of Dane County Supervisor Jenni Dye, said that Pieklo wanted to watch election returns someday with Dye, hopefully for her "senate win". I asked Dye (who lives in Fitchburg, which is in WI-SD-27) if Pieklo (a pro-choice activist from Minnesota) was trying to goad Dye into mounting a 2016 WI-Sen run, and Dye herself that she was hoping that Feingold ran in 2016.

I'm wondering if Pieklo has inside knowledge that Jon Erpenbach may be considering a 2014 WI-Gov run, because Dye would probably run for Erpenbach's state senate seat (and would likely have the backing of pro-choice groups in the Democratic primary if she ran for state senate) if Erpenbach retires or runs for a statewide executive office in 2014.

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 03:57:56 PM PST