View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Weekly Open Thread: What races are you interested in? (513 comments)

•  Cabinet Appointments (1+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY

Anyone want to toss out some names for Obama's second term? Should have open spots for State, Treasury, Commerce, Transportation, CIA Director and probably Attorney General if I had to guess. Many more sub cabinet spots will open up as well naturally.

Support Shelli Yoder for Congress! http://www.shelliyoderforcongress.com/home/

by drhoosierdem on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:14:02 PM PST

•  EPA as well. (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, marieperoy

Apparently Lisa Jackson is interested in a political career, either in New Jersey or New Orleans.

20, Dude, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus! (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 at 10:23:06 PM PST

•  What I read (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

State: Obviously most people think it is between Kerry and Susan Rice and that the CW that Kerry is favorite because of Benghazi isn't a sure thing because that would mean Menendez takes over Foreign Affairs Committee in the Senate and he has contradicted the WH on foreign affairs constantly in the past four years and they can't stand him. Maybe a wildcard here that we don't expect.

Treasury: Jacob Lew is almost a sure thing here.

Commerce: I don't think many people care about that one but from the grapevine this is a post where many of the potential "first openly gay member of cabinet" could be named (like Fred Hochberg or John Berry).

Transportation: Like LaHood or Mineta, it will be a random local official name.

Attney General: Napolitano really wants that one but the rumor is around Deval Patrick. But because he promised to stay one until the end of his term, I think she may get it. Granholm was mentioned by someone on here and while it is unlikely, she'd be fun in the post. And of course if Janet is chosen, we need someone at Homeland. Maybe the latter is the post Barack chooses to put the token Republican cabinet member in?

Defense: You forget to mention Panetta is leaving soon too as he is tired to commute. Many many names here so no way to know. His second in comand Ashton Carter is in line and so is Michele Flournoy. I'd bet Obama picks the latter to have a "first" woman to be head of Defense and she is a recognized expert. Also a post where many Republican names are bandied about (Chuck Hagel ... urgh) but I'd be surprised if he gave it back to a GOPer after only 18 months in Dem hands for the past twenty years

Interior/Energy: Salazar also is leaving and the WH can't wait to be rid of Chu. I saw no speculation as to who will replace them but we can assume it will be somebody from the West in the first case.

Kathleen, Shaun and Arne are pretty safe I think and I hear they want to stay but I don't think anyone is very impressed with Hilda so I bet she leaves too. I mean, the fact she was NOWHERE to be seen during the campaign even though she is the Latino member of cabinet is so telling that they don't care for her very much.

•  Did any cabinet members campaign? (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

27, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-14 (formerly PA-02/NY-12).

by Xenocrypt on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 08:19:05 AM PST

•  Gov Gregoire for Interoir has been mentioned (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Did anything come from the prostitute issue with Menendez?  Maybe enough to keep him out of the Foreign Affairs Chair? Who would be the one to leapfrog him? Barbara Boxer?

I think Kerry is a lock.  I think Lew is a lock. You're right about commerce as well.

Could Ash Carter be willing to stay on as #2 if Flournoy was brought in for the SecDef job?

I like the idea about Napolitano moving to AG and using the Homeland Security spot on the token Repub as well.

If LaHood is done, I've heard LA Mayor Villagarosa could get the gig.

They have the billionaires, We have the Big Dog!

by Jacoby Jonze on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 09:45:35 AM PST

•  Villa & Kerry (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

Villa would be interesting pick and makes sense since his advocacy for LA subway to the sea is probably his big legacy item.

But I am very skeptical Kerry is a lock. They can't use the prostie thing. It is irrelevant, landed with a thud and using it as justification would be taking it as true when the media has shrugged it off as thinly sourced. And Reid will probably advocate against a special election that Dems can win but that will cost money which we need to pile up for a tough 2014.

•  If it's not Kerry, than who though? (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

I think Rice has been disqualified by the Benghazi issue.  GOP would LOVE to make it huge focus and party line vote against her with SoS usually gets strong bipartisan support as it's supposed to be a non-political role.

I think the dinner with Patrick at the WH is Pres Obama trying to set-up things and seeing if Patrick would run himself for the open Senate seat.  If they could get a top level recruit to run in the special election they could beat Brown.  Also Patrick would be the only African American Senator if he were to be elected.  Patrick does seem like he wants to run for the Presidency in 2016 but I think timing would work against him (as much as it shouldn't matter) and I think Hillary is running and the deck will be cleared for her.

Patrick could go to the Senate for four years and then in 2016 under a Clinton Admin he could get a cabinet spot with Brown a non-entity by that point.

They have the billionaires, We have the Big Dog!

by Jacoby Jonze on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 11:44:37 AM PST

•  That's the question (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

If not Kerry, who? What I read though is that HIllary may stay on a couple of extra months to finish the Benghazi clean up and that is why observers are not totally excluding the possibility of Rice.
              I personally think she is going to end up at the NSC since I hear Donilon wants to take other jobs (chief of staff maybe although i see Dashle's name coming up a lot today).

Patrick as Senator would be fun but he really wants A-G. I dunno. Definitely agree that at the first occasion we do need to work hard on electing an AA Senator. I imagine that when Barbara Mikulski retires, this will be an opening but it is a disgrace we don't have any yet.
              Oh and I think he'd make a fine Presidential candidate but everything about him is way way way too reminiscent of Barack. It'd feel like we are running the same candidate twice in a row. Plus, come on, I would think that by now parties would have learned  not to run politicians from MA as Presidential candidates anymore LOL

•  What did Rice have to do with the incident (0+ / 0-)

in Benghazi?

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 12:55:40 PM PST

•  she claimed it was because of the movie (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

19, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                politicohen.com
                Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
                UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 12:57:41 PM PST

•  Wasn't that the initial CIA assessment? (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

Or am I totally off with that?

29, M, Swingnut, CA-38 resident. Chairman of the DKE Ginger Left-handed caucus. Huge Angels, Lakers, Bruins, Kings, Galaxy fan. Follow me on Twitter: @Artesialove

by uclabruin18 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 12:58:37 PM PST

•  yes (2+ / 0-)
                    MichaelNY, SaoMagnifico

but it turned out wrong, and she was the one who most publicly stated it.  she sounded very definitive, far more than she should have been.

19, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                    politicohen.com
                    UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 01:18:43 PM PST

•  Homeland Security should defintely not be a GOP (2+ / 0-)
          James Allen, MichaelNY

pick. If we have to have another GOP pick, I'd say transportation when Ray LaHood leaves.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:51:13 PM PST

•  What's wrong with Chu? n/t (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY
      •  What do they have against Chu? n/t (0+ / 0-)

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 12:53:08 PM PST

•  transportation (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, drhoosierdem

Earl Blumenauer.

by James Allen on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 01:18:22 PM PST

•  That's interesting about Menendez. I hadn't heard (2+ / 0-)
        James Allen, MichaelNY

that. Is it just the Cuba foreign policy differences or overall?

You are wrong on Hilda. She can't campaign as a cabinet member and she has been very effective as head of Labor. It's just not a position that gets lots of media coverage.

Kathleen stays through 2014 implementation of Obamacare.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:50:05 PM PST

•  The CW is that Solis isn't going anwhere, at least (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, askew

for the foreseeable future. They like the work she has been doing.

by ndrwmls10 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 04:30:39 PM PST

•  What I've heard (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

State - John Kerry - because he's earned it, he's qualified, and if he asks for it Obama won't be able to refuse him. I personally think he's been an excellent chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and I look forward to his selection.

Treasury - WHCOS Jack Lew - rumor is that Obama personally requested this.

Commerce - will be given part and parcel to Wall St.

Defense - Chuck Hagel - because Obama will want a prominent Republican in his cabinet. Hagel will make an excellent ally in the DOD for the upcoming austerity deal, and, despite being a Republican, his prominent criticisms of how the Iraq war has handled make him a safe pick with the media. His endorsement of Kerrey is the icing on the cake for selling his selection.

AG - Janet Napalitano - because she's earned it and Obama's inner circle likes her. I don't know why I keep hearing Gov. Patrick's name, because I think he wants to run for President, and I think he realizes AG is not a good place to run from.

Energy - Cathy Zoi - I honestly don't know how likely this is, but she's the only name I like that I've heard mentioned. Many corporate private sector names are floating around, and I'm not optimistic about this.

(-9.38, -7.49), Blood type "O", social anarchist, KY-01, "When smashing monuments, save the pedestals. They always come in handy." — Stanisław Lem

by Setsuna Mudo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 10:39:46 AM PST

•  All this is coherent (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

But I still think there needs to be a woman at the table for foreign affairs stuff. If this scenario comes to pass, I would bet Susan Rice gets the NSC.
        And I do think giving Defense to Hagel would be a shame. That means that in the past 15 years we would have had only 18 months of a Democratic Secretary of Defense.

•  There isn't a prominent Republican in Obama's (1+ / 0-)
        tommypaine

cabinet now and there certainly doesn't need to be one. You have too many men in your picks. Obama will appoint at least one woman to State or Defense.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:53:32 PM PST

•  ? (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, jncca

I predicted two male-to-female picks (Energy and AG) and one female-to-male pick (State) so I don't know why you think Obama's team would object to the gender ratio of this cabinet. But, again, I don't think that the administration cares that much about keeping a gender ration in the cabinet in any case, I think they're interested in installing their preferred political allies, and that they could care less what gender they are.

by Setsuna Mudo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 03:17:33 PM PST

•  Hmm, let's see (2+ / 0-)
      drhoosierdem, MichaelNY

I think it's pretty much understood Sen. Kerry is likely to be named Secretary of State.

Secy. Napolitano moves to Justice. Not my top choice, but I think it's likely.

Susan Eisenhower to Homeland Security? I dunno, I was surprised she didn't get a Cabinet spot last time, and she probably won't this time, but I'd like to see her in the administration. Secy. Shinseki is another option, rotating over from Veterans Affairs.

Commerce is sort of the Defense Against the Dark Arts position of the Obama administration. I think President Obama wants to do away with the position anyway.

Raj Date seems like a logical choice for a new Secretary of Business position. Not sure the Senate would agree.

For Treasury, Jack Lew seems like a lock.

I'll guess Ron Klain is promoted to chief of staff.

If Secy. Salazar doesn't stay on at Interior -- and I think he will -- what about Gov. Schweitzer? He's not a major environmentalist figure; if Obama wants a "greener" face at Interior, Gov. Gregoire seems like a better option. Obama could also make a preemptive 2014 strike and tap Gov. Parnell, if he wants to pursue a "Cabinet of Rivals" route, but 1) I'm not sure that Parnell would accept, and 2) the environmental lobby would probably have a heart attack. Not that then-Sen. Salazar was seen as such a "green" choice, either. I suppose another cross-party option in the same vein would be Gov. Sandoval.

I'd be surprised if Secy. Chu remains at Energy, but I don't know who would be a likely successor. That will probably come from within the industry.

I think Secy. Panetta will and should remain as Secretary of Defense.

Acting CIA Director Morell is pretty much guaranteed to be named to the position on a permanent basis.

Secy. LaHood has said he is leaving as Transportation Secretary. David Bragdon would be an outstanding choice to replace him.

Why not give Veterans Affairs to Rep. Chris Gibson? It's a good cross-party appointment, it gets a fairly well-liked congressman out of a swing district, and he's eminently qualified for the job. Richard Carmona would also find a good home in the position, though I'd rather keep him free for a 2014 or 2016 run.

If Secy. Solis wants to do other things -- I think she'll stay, but she might not -- then maybe Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak?

I definitely think HUD, Education, and HHS secretaries will stay on.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:31:38 PM PST

• Memorial Day (31)
  • Media (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Education (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • GOP (22)
  • Science (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site