View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Election aftermath (240 comments)

•  I think we're a mixture (12+ / 0-)

of a lot of political beliefs. We're center right on some issues, center left on others.
    What we need to do is restore the reputation of the government, because all the right has been doing since Reagan is tearing it down, and when people think more government means more problems, rather than more solutions, they're not going to vote for Democrats.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 04:10:19 AM PST

•  On what issues is the U.S. center-right? n/t (2+ / 0-)
      Just Bob, bontemps2012
      •  i'd say gun ownership/laws and probably also (10+ / 0-)

defense/military.

I know I'm probably to the right of most liberals on guns - even if slightly, despite the fact that I consider myself a democratic socialist.

I think the nation also leans right on military issues and defense spending. No we don't like wars but we also have a bit of trepidation about lowering military spending by too much, right or wrong.

I also think issues like torture and the patriot act and such are not that big a deal in most of america and really only have strong resonance with the left. I know I personally, although I'm opposed  to torture, don't place it anywhere near  the top 10 of the issues I can about. And as for the patriot act, again, I have mixed feelings about it and its constitutionality but I also acknowledge that we live in a different age where information gathering is central to preventing or minimizing the likelihood of disastrous events happening. And I think I'm to the left of most americans on those issues, even if I'm to the right of most other liberals.

I do think the country is center right on some issues.

For the record, I am not a member of Courtesy Kos. Just so you know. Don't be stupid. It's election season. My patience is short.

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:00:42 AM PST

•  You raise good points. (3+ / 0-)
          skohayes, IM, mdmslle

I think one of the areas where we're decidedly center-left is on economics and the role of people within the economy (equal pay for equal work, etc).

While there are areas where majorities hold a more conservative opinion, it's that economic worldview that puts us (as a diverse & changing population) in a generally center-left category.

But as humans, just like in other countries it's hard to put us in a clean little box.

"Nach dem Spiel ist vor dem Spiel." -Sepp Herberger

by surfbird007 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 06:19:49 AM PST

•  oh and one more: israel. (6+ / 0-)

I just saw a chart the other day I saw this article about international views/opinions of israel.

the U.S. and Nigeria are the only two nations with net positive view of the country IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Center-right.

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:02:55 AM PST

•  Well that poll was 2005-2007 (3+ / 0-)
          mdmslle, dkosdan, glitterscale

It would be interesting to see if the views towards US has changed since Obama took office.

Overall the poll is not suprising. I don't think many countries approve of Israel and the obsessed attraction our Govt has with them.

This is our moment...this is our time! President Barack Obama

by ankae on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:13:22 AM PST

•  actually it's gotten worse. Sorry that one was (2+ / 0-)
            dkosdan, skohayes

old.

Here's the most recent one

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:20:59 AM PST

•  I should say the U.S. has a MORE positive view (1+ / 0-)
            dkosdan

of israel since 2005-7 survey (!).

The global average is slightly more favorable buttressed mostly by US, Kenyan and Nigerian "approval" numbers. A few other nations increased a positive view slightly, like Russia and Brazil and Germany.

But the overall numbers are about the same

17/56 in 2005-7

21/50 in 2012

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:25:27 AM PST

•  Boot-up-the-ass jack boot military. (0+ / 0-)

Fly-by events at football games.

Kill towel-heads..... etc.

Crazy as video game players.

•  I'd agree with your comment above, sort of, that (5+ / 0-)

the country is left of the media.
        However, I think you could say the country thinks it is center-right, until you start looking at the issues individually.

This is partly because of the strong sales pitch of the term "conservative". Everyone likes it. "Liberal" was demonized almost to oblivion, now it's been rehabilitated somewhat.

In reality we need to move beyond the old "cold war" bipolarism.
        The people calling themselves "conservatives" are not really conservative, they're destructive. They're destructively regressive. They're recklessly, destructively regressive. They're radically, recklessly, destructively regressive.

The average moderate/liberal Dem is more conservative. They are in favor of enough regulation of the markets to keep capitalism sustainable, as opposed to being disastrously unbalanced and dominated by cheaters.

Obama's expressed objective is to restore the public's confidence in government, not to throw money at problems but to restore the sense to the public that government is "by the people, for the people, of the people" and that it is a responsive, adaptive servant performing necessary duties.
        This is not an ideology or dogma driven vision. It is a functional/analytic vision.

The "left/right" polarity really doesn't fit the reality anymore.

The racial/religious animus stirred up by the Kochs and Wall Street won't go away completely, but it will settle.
        The window of opportunity is available now to go forward and re-explain why rebuilding the middle class will help the poor, and why caring about whether the poor innercity kid gets a decent breakfast and a chance to study science and math (or arts and humanities) is in the best interest of the children and grandchildren of the privileged white suburbian.
        Global warming and clean energy will in fact bring the country together and restore a sense of community.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:29:08 AM PST