View Diary: I know you think praying at government events is normal, but it's really not. (302 comments)

•  It is only not equivalent (2+ / 0-)
    mahakali overdrive, MichaelNY

In that you don't like bigotry against some groups, but find bigotry against others perfectly acceptable.  I have seen this before.   ( see of example civil rights activists who opposed marriage equality).

Please elaborate on why you think blanket negative pejorative statements against Mormons are acceptable but such statement against Jews, for example, are not

The floor is yours to defend your proposition

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:19:24 AM PST

•  no content discussions with HR abusers (0+ / 0-)

Here is a diary to help explain Troll Ratings to you:

I am not the diarist. I am not arguing about your position. We are not having a discussion about the content of the diary at this point in time. There is no chance that we will have a discussion while you still have HR'd the Tip Jar.

Your are using the hide rating to indicate your disapproval on an idea. This is not their purpose, nor is it their evolved usage.

You are not allowed to HR and then try to debate the idea. You can do one or the other. You can hide rate it an perhaps explain your reasoning for doing so. If so, then you cannot try to have a discussion about the content.

In the alternative, you could have chosen not to HR it and try to have a discussion (at whatever level of civility you feel is warranted within the bounds of acceptable behavior on the site--given the nature of the subject matter, a wide berth would likely have been allowed).

I would have been very interested in hearing a discussion between the original diarist and those that disagreed. Since my disagreement with the diarist is in regards to potentially inflammatory tone and hyperbole that isn't necessarily clearly identifiable as such, I am really in no position to drive the "against" part of the discussion.

You are not in such a position either. You could have been. You still could be if you remove your HR and thus admit that you were engaging in abuse of the HR system. Until that point, I suspect that you will continue to be largely ignored in this diary (except for getting your own hide ratings when you engage in personal attack).

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:20:37 AM PST

•  You are in no position (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Because you are defending the proposition that calling Mormonism a brain disorder is somehow within the bounds of acceptable statements here

This notion that one cannot HR a comment and then engage in discussion with the stammers defenders runs entirely counter to practice here

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:28:05 AM PST

•  done commenting on content (0+ / 0-)

I apologize for discussing content. It was unfair of me to comment on the content of your comment when I am not going to continue the discussion because of your blatant HR abuse.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:22:10 AM PST

•  It is a sad day (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

When blatant bigotry isn't HRable

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:25:43 AM PST

•  no content discussions with HR abusers (0+ / 0-)

I apologize for giving you the impression that I was going to discuss content with you.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:28:40 AM PST

•  No I wouldn't expect (0+ / 0-)

Any discussion with unapologetic defenders of bigotry like yourself

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:29:35 AM PST

•  baseless accusation (0+ / 0-)

You are skirting the edges of another HR for yourself right there.

Please provide a quote from this thread where I am defending bigotry or retract your completely baseless accusation.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:46:15 AM PST

•  Retracted (2+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY, mahakali overdrive

Even if true, there no real need to be nasty

My perception is that the diary contains a very bad statement which I HRd and seeing widespread support for it, argued against it.   You have seen fit to defend the statement against my assertion the this statement should be invisible (you should refer to the FAQ for a fuller discussion than is contained in Hunter's piece)

Now we will have to agree to disagree.  To think such statements are within bounds and I do not.  I beleive the site policies and practice support me, although apparently only certain groups are actually subject to this principle

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks