View Diary: Mourning in America (432 comments)

•  What is it about "one nation, indivisible" (1+ / 0-)
    TexasTom

that you don't get? I mean, I have never recited the Pledge and never will. But I am guessing you did.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:15:43 AM PST

•  I used to think preserving the union was the right (3+ / 0-)

thing to do and certainly the South wanted to start the Civil War and got thumped for it. But, I now think (only semi-joking here), that most of the Southern states have continued 150 years of unbroken warfare against the rest of the country and against the modern world. I think they are a drag on the rest of the country, and I have to wonder if Chuck Thompson got it right in his new book Better Off Without 'Em.

Just doing my part to piss off right wing nuts, one smart ass comment at a time.

by tekno2600 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:31:40 AM PST

•  They signed onto the New Deal in a pretty big way. (0+ / 0-)

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:58:16 AM PST

•  Johnson also did some good things, and bad things, (0+ / 0-)

not to mention the circumstances which brought him to office. But remember I was responding to a comment about how 15 states had petitions to secede (who knows how serious they are). I simply said that they were welcome to and perhaps we should turn this around and say do certain states even deserve (or want) to be in the union, giving their continued actions to removed themselves from the rest of the country. I'm not going to apologize for that.

by tekno2600 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 12:10:18 PM PST

•  Black population... (10+ / 0-)

...in Mississippi: 37%
        Alabama: 26%
        Georgia: 31%
        Louisiana: 32%
        Texas: 12% (Latino: 38%)
        Arkansas: 16%
        Florida: 16%

Total: 13 million African Americans.

What do you suppose secession will mean for them?

by Meteor Blades on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:25:42 PM PST

•  I think Blacks and Latinos will finally seize (0+ / 0-)

permanent power in the Southern states. It's amazing that the shrinking White population has managed to keep control for so long. I did not realize until you mentioned it that the Blacks and Hispanics in Texas now make up 50%. This election is the beginning of the end for White privilege in the South, and thankfully, all this talk about secession will finally come to an end as well.

by tekno2600 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:37:31 PM PST

•  When I checked (2+ / 0-)
          Meteor Blades, a gilas girl

the Alabama petition it only had 56 signatures.   And most of them were from out of state.  Please don't ax us off just yet.  Some 40% of us voted for Obama...twice.  It's not our fault the "lied to" folks are so goddamn loud.

“Nice country you got here. Shame if something were to happen to it” --the GOP philosophy to governing as described by Paul Krugman

by dwayne on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 01:53:38 AM PST

•  Here in the south (1+ / 0-)
      a gilas girl

so damn many of my friends and neighbors are so hung up on the words "one nation under God" that they almost forget there are words after that.  "Indivisible" is  a word they'd laugh at, even if it's part of the same pledge.

by dwayne on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 01:51:12 AM PST