View Diary: Breaking:Eric Cantor involved in outing of Petraeus (346 comments)

•  What is a non-Government Type Doing (2+ / 0-)
    buckstop, Compost On The Weeds

with information that the CIA's lover, also a non-government type, is attempting to obtain access to Petraeus' e-mails through a secure computer?

Did Ms. Broadwell tattle on herself to a civilian friend with a conscience?  Hardly seems likely because such a person would have to have a profoundly overdeveloped sense of patriotism and an underdeveloped sense of friendship to go with that piece of "gossip" to a Congressperson.  Illogical that Ms. Broadwell would select such a person

I can't imagine that it is NOT a CIA type who finds a gopher to perform the whistleblower task.  Then one is forced to ask. . .1)  Why would said shy CIA type want to blow the covers off a secret FBI investigation and make it a public scandal?  2)  And why the timing?  3)  What kind of idiot government type thinks anyone would believe a non-government type would have access to such information in the first place -- unless it were planted?  Dumb.

Readers & Book Lovers Pull up a chair! You're never too old to be a Meta Groupie

by Limelite on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:02:18 AM PST

•  She has a husband. (6+ / 0-)
      MariaSquared, Empower Ink, dougymi, Sarea, MJB, CJB

Maybe he was pissed.

Sticks and stones may break your bones. So those are good choices for bone-breaking--TheTweetOfGod

by Flyswatterbanjo on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:22:01 AM PST

•  His Timing to Get "Pissed" (0+ / 0-)

is odd, since the affair had ended months ago.

Remember, it began August last year, right around the time Petraeus was being vetted for this job or had just been appointed to Director.  An irate husband is irate when he first finds out about an affair, not long after its over.

Are the Broadwell's still a couple?  That's a detail I've missed.

by Limelite on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:25:29 AM PST

•  She was using his email (9+ / 0-)

to send threatening emails to another woman she was jealous of - that is what I read. The leaker could be the recipient. Maybe she is a resident of Cantor's district.

•  Correction (4+ / 0-)

The recipient went to the FBI, someone at the FBI then told Cantor.

•  The recipient of the harassment did the right (13+ / 0-)

thing. She didn't know who was sending the emails, and first complained to Petraeus about them, and was so scared that she went to the FBI for protection.

The recipient of the e-mails was so frightened that she went to the FBI for protection and help tracking down the sender, according to the officials. The FBI investigation traced the threats to Paula Broadwell, a former military officer and a Petraeus biographer, and uncovered explicit e-mails between Broadwell and Petraeus, the officials said.

snip

One of the officials said that the recipient of the e-mails complained to Petraeus about them and that the FBI later obtained e-mails between Petraeus and Broadwell in which they discussed the harassment.

Recipient is not the wife. Was someone Broadwell felt threatened her affair with Petraeus.
        •  Thanks! (5+ / 0-)
          mjbleo, LilithGardener, myboo, KenBee, Cliss

I've been trying to keep a friend of mine on top of this because she is without both internet and tv (Suddenlink).  My original Breaking News was simple and to the point...then as things got more complicated, so did my second hand reporting.

Friend and I are now both sitting back and waiting for it all to be explained in The National Inquirer...

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day? George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:06:52 AM PST

•  Paula Broadwell (10+ / 0-)

And now we see why this is a big deal.

Paula Broadwell is a predator. If she was willing to send frightening threatening emails to someone, going out of her way to disguise who is sending them she's totally capable of blackmailing Petreaus.

Petreaus poor judgment includes not going to the FBI right away when he knew his lover was threatening someone else.

Scumbag.

•  I watched one of her book tour (5+ / 0-)

guest shots on one of the tv shows and she is one determined woman.  Even if the scandal had not been broken, it was evident that she intended to "speak" for the General in a very unsavory way.

She is, as you say, a predator and he is an old fool.

I do believe, however, that she was not the first and that over time it will be discovered that he was involved with more than a few other women.

by msmacgyver on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:46:40 AM PST

•  I'm sure you're right - a mere slip in judgment (4+ / 0-)

when going through a tough time does not get you into this mess.

And that is what predators do - they have to display their "kill."

•  Do we have mutual acquaintences? (4+ / 0-)
                  LilithGardener, skwimmer, KenBee, Cliss
                  And that is what predators do - they have to display their "kill."
                  Like you, I've seen this behavior up close and personal and I'm quite certain that the gossip which surrounded these two was based on her very possessive attitude.

I do think that he's been able to have discreet affairs but this particular lady was not going to go quietly which I'm guessing is the direction he was headed.

by msmacgyver on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 10:48:25 AM PST

•  Recipient from State Dept. (2+ / 0-)
          KenBee, middleagedhousewife

A senior U.S. military official says the author who had an affair with David Petraeus sent harassing emails to a woman who was the State Department's liaison to the military's Joint Special Operations Command.

The official says 37-year-old Jill Kelley in Tampa, Fla., received the emails from Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell that triggered an FBI investigation.

•  Boom, there it is. General Horndog (2+ / 0-)
            middleagedhousewife, Cliss
            Another person who knows Kelley and Petraeus confirmed their friendship and said she saw him often.
            Geez, yet more humiliation for Mrs DP.

Ugh.

so my theory below is not correct..back to writing dream sequences for me..

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 12:33:05 PM PST

•  We should await a denial from Ms. Kelley (2+ / 0-)
              KenBee, middleagedhousewife

Maybe Broadwell was imagining things happening that weren't. If, however, there is no denial that comes from the State Dept. employee, well, then that can lead to some assumptions.

Incidentally, Mrs. Petraeus worked under Elizabeth Warren at the CFPB to help veterans, so she strikes me as a good egg. And she was stuck stateside while he was deployed year after year. It just sucks all the way around for her. Another "Good Wife". Sigh.

•  yes, but that article is pretty clear in it's (1+ / 0-)
                msdrown

statement of facts and the implications...and I smell lawyerization as well, especially for something soooo out there as this story.

That's also from AP and seasoned reporters, I accept it at this point.

I hope Mrs P is tough enough, this will surely test her.

And thanks for posting that link, solves me/us from yet more irresponsible speculatating and babblerizin any more about it.

Now we can get on to the real important issue:

What did Cantor know and when did he know it?

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:03:53 PM PST

•  I am still thinking it could have been a proxy (1+ / 0-)
          Cliss

especially if as you suggested below he was dialing it back once in washington spooksville.

She (Mrs P) is a govt official after all as well, and if Broadwell was as possessive as you all have indicated below, I agree, I can see where  Mrs P could have objected to her appearing on talk shows and really almost flaunting it, like maybe the daily show there was some innuendo...now that would grate wouldn't it? And even if Broadwell was not with DP anymore, Broadwell could still have irked Mrs P to where Mrs P or a busy proxy friend, a lawyer even (oh when will Gloria Allred show up?) started the convo in DP's and family interest..after all, that would be pretty humiliating for Broadwell to be capping, capitalizing on some inferred sex like that. also.

It could have started a conversation ending with threats from the Broadwell. ("I was banging your husband under the desk while they were shooting at us, that place is dirty and dusty and the people are crazy,  so shut your mouth, I have a book to sell, and I earned it, don't make me come over there or I have another book I could write!")(my imagination at work...)
          And ask yerself this: if he had dialed it back with Broadwell once back in Washington why the reported (ouch!) thousands of emails begging her back? If that's true, and remember we are way down the old disinfo hiway here....was that some 'message' to DP to go quietly or else?

So if he had tried to avoid her (just a guess at this point) why would there be yet another woman other than the wife, given the premise he was trying to be discreet 'back in spooksville'. That's why I think this third woman is near the wife and not, well, that we 'know' another lover.

Da hell if I know! :>

And on a very real basis, this has just got to be awful for Mrs Petraeus, who as asst Director for Consumer Protection or whatever it is, she's very likely on our side. No matter how gritty, how salacious this story is, factoring in the creepy republicanism that goes with it, this is essentially a sad little sordid tale with real humans.
          Gawd.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 12:27:28 PM PST

•  heh, while I was out...posted above (0+ / 0-)

is the story and link to who the third woman is...and yes it's a third woman, not Mrs P or her proxy or Gloria Allred.

Were she and DP lovers..who knows....sounds like maybe the article is saying they were without saying they were: 'seen together etc'

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 12:38:00 PM PST