View Diary: Slate gets it wrong on "liberal schadenfreude." (290 comments)

•  I don't know if it's out of control... (13+ / 0-)

but I remember how I felt after Nov. 2004 and maybe this is superstitious, or to quote Michael Scott, maybe it's just a little stitious, but I don't want to rub their noses in it because I don't want to accrue bad karma.

I mean, it's hard not to enjoy winning right? Winning is fun - losing sucks.

But I'm trying to remember that if we get too big for our britches, we can be the ones asking How the hell did this happen? And really, I never want to go there ever again.

That said, Mitch McConnell's claim of a mandate not to raise taxes is enough to make me want to cut a bitch.

Women do 2/3 of the world's work, receive 10% of the world's income and own 1% of the means of production.

by LibrErica on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:17:57 PM PST

•  This is what I call payback for prior deeds (61+ / 0-)

I have never fully gotten over being called a coward and traitor, which happened more times than I can remember, for opposing Bush and his wars.

I still remember how Democrats were treated in Congress by the republicans. Remember John Conyers having to hold hearings in a closet? Remember the republicans turning off the lights and microphones of Democrats while they were speaking on the House floor? Remember Dick Cheney telling Patrick Leahy to "Go fuck himself"? I remember these well and I also remember all the republicans cheering every time things like this happened.

This is payback for all the bad Karma these bastards sowed for the past 10 years. I hope it gets even worse for them.

And what could be worse... Let me dream... I'd like to see a couple House republicans flip sides to the Democrats because they see the future handwriting on the wall. Oh, how I would love to see the republicans reaction to something like that!!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:16:31 PM PST

•  Yep (9+ / 0-)

I do remember those things.  And I think you're right, in that the bad karma they accrued 2001-2007 may have resulted in their unexpected karmic payback on Tuesday. (In a way, it would have been sweet if Obama had lost the popular vote but won the electoral college, if only to allow republicans to taste that bitter fruit like we had to... but I digress.)

In much the same way, Fox News backfired on them too. When Cheney was president, the Fox News propaganda arm's ability to put out a story and get the rest of the media to follow them was very helpful to the republicans in pursuing their (I would say evil) agenda.

But over time, Fox News began to lose credibility with more and more non-koolaid-drinkers. So by the time of this election, the solid conservative base continued to believe their Fox News stories hook, line and sinker as always. But the rest of us thought, What the hell are they looking at? They DO know that just saying things doesn't make them so, don't they?

So I guess I just look at it as Yes, their big, humiliating defeat that they didn't see coming AT ALL is their karmic comeuppance. But that still doesn't mean that I should risk accruing negative karma by overly enjoying their suffering.

Some balance has been restored now. I'd like for us to keep doing things that will help us accrue good karma and eschew those things that might bring us bad karma. Because we're the good guys.   :)

by LibrErica on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 05:38:35 PM PST

•  Uh, what? @closet (3+ / 0-)
        weatherdude, nellgwen, reflectionsv37

I was too young to pay attention to hear about that, and google turns up nothing.

Is this just math that you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better?

by ConfusedSkyes on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:44:56 PM PST

•  Oh, what fun you missed! Here's the scoop.... (24+ / 0-)

In 2005, members of the Democratic Party decided to hold hearings about the Iraq War and the Downing Street Memo.

The secret British memo of 2002 that reported that President Bush was determined to go to war against Iraq months earlier than he publicly acknowledged will get its first official hearing on Thursday - sort of.

In the closest version so far to a congressional hearing on the Downing Street memo, Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., will head a forum examining the document. That will be followed by an Internet-organized rally in front of the White House. Conyers plans to deliver the signatures of 105 congressional Democrats and more than 500,000 citizens on petitions demanding a detailed response from the Bush administration to the memo's allegations.

The memo, minutes of a meeting that British Prime Minister Tony Blair had with aides on July 23, 2002, in London, said it "seemed clear that Bush had made up his mind to take military action." Bush has long said he didn't decide to go to war until shortly before the bombing began in March 2003....

Witnesses scheduled to appear at Thursday's forum:

Joe Wilson, former U.S ambassador to Africa and a critic of the Iraq war. After his opposition to the war became public, his wife, Valerie Plame, was identified as a CIA officer in a controversial leak to news organizations.
          Ray McGovern, a veteran CIA analyst who prepared presidential briefings during the Reagan administration.
          Cindy Sheehan, founding member of Gold Star Families for Peace, an organization for those whose loved ones were killed in the Iraq war. Sheehan's son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan, was killed in Iraq in 2004.
          John Bonifaz, a constitutional lawyer from Boston who believes the memo's allegations may be an impeachable offense.

Republicans - who were then (as now) in control of the House - refused to allow them to hold the hearing upstairs, in their regular chambers. They had to hold the hearing in what was, basically, a basement broom closet.

As Rep. John Conyer's explains:

John Conyer's Letter to the Washington Post

Published on Saturday, June 18, 2005 by CommonDreams.org
          John Conyers' Letter to the Washington Post

June 17, 2005
          Mr. Michael Abramowitz, National Editor;
          Mr. Michael Getler, Ombudsman;
          Mr. Dana Milbank;
          The Washington Post,
          1150 15th Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20071

Dear Sirs:

I write to express my profound disappointment with Dana Milbank's June 17 report, "Democrats Play House to Rally Against the War," which purports to describe a Democratic hearing I chaired in the Capitol yesterday. In sum, the piece cherry-picks some facts, manufactures others out of whole cloth, and does a disservice to some 30 members of Congress who persevered under difficult circumstances, not of our own making, to examine a very serious subject: whether the American people were deliberately misled in the lead up to war. The fact that this was the Post's only coverage of this event makes the journalistic shortcomings in this piece even more egregious.

In an inaccurate piece of reporting that typifies the article, Milbank implies that one of the obstacles the Members in the meeting have is that "only one" member has mentioned the Downing Street Minutes on the floor of either the House or Senate. This is not only incorrect but misleading. In fact, just yesterday, the Senate Democratic Leader, Harry Reid, mentioned it on the Senate floor. Senator Boxer talked at some length about it at the recent confirmation hearing for the Ambassador to Iraq. The House Democratic Leader, Nancy Pelosi, recently signed on to my letter, along with 121 other Democrats asking for answers about the memo. This information is not difficult to find either. For example, the Reid speech was the subject of an AP wire service report posted on the Washington Post website with the headline "Democrats Cite Downing Street Memo in Bolton Fight". Other similar mistakes, mischaracterizations and cheap shots are littered throughout the article.

The article begins with an especially mean and nasty tone, claiming that House Democrats "pretended" a small conference was the Judiciary Committee hearing room and deriding the decor of the room. Milbank fails to share with his readers one essential fact: the reason the hearing was held in that room, an important piece of context. Despite the fact that a number of other suitable rooms were available in the Capitol and House office buildings, Republicans declined my request for each and every one of them. Milbank could have written about the perseverance of many of my colleagues in the face of such adverse circumstances, but declined to do so. Milbank also ignores the critical fact picked up by the AP, CNN and other newsletters that at the very moment the hearing was scheduled to begin, the Republican Leadership scheduled an almost unprecedented number of 11 consecutive floor votes, making it next to impossible for most Members to participate in the first hour and one half of the hearing.

[...]

By the way, the "Downing Street Memo" is actually the minutes of a British cabinet meeting. In the meeting, British officials - having just met with their American counterparts - describe their discussions with such counterparts. I mention this because that basic piece of context, a simple description of the memo, is found nowhere in Milbank's article.

The fact that I and my fellow Democrats had to stuff a hearing into a room the size of a large closet to hold a hearing on an important issue shouldn't make us the object of ridicule. In my opinion, the ridicule should be placed in two places: first, at the feet of Republicans who are so afraid to discuss ideas and facts that they try to sabotage our efforts to do so; and second, on Dana Milbank and the Washington Post, who do not feel the need to give serious coverage on a serious hearing about a serious matter-whether more than 1700 Americans have died because of a deliberate lie.

Milbank may disagree, but the Post certainly owed its readers some coverage of that viewpoint.

Sincerely,
          John Conyers, Jr.

Not even I expected Romney to let his entitled Lord-of-the-Manor freak flag fly as proudly as he did on Tuesday night ~ Charlie Pierce

by AuroraDawn on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:05:00 PM PST

•  Thank you!!! n/t (5+ / 0-)

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 12:07:44 AM PST

•  You're welcome. People need to be... (4+ / 0-)
              fumie, lirtydies, reflectionsv37, The Nose

reminded of how the Republicans' have behaved during the last 18 years. I don't think they have legitimately tried to "reach cross the aisle" since Newt Gingrich became Speaker and began the "Republican Revolution"  in 1994. They view bipartisanship as a one way street - we give and they take.

by AuroraDawn on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 09:03:04 AM PST

•  unfreakingbelievable (6+ / 0-)

I'll assume, neither Dan Milbank nor the Washington Times responded, or posted this reply.

"Please proceed, Governor."

by Dema Broad on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 01:07:52 AM PST

•  cut off their mics & light??? (7+ / 0-)

Cheny told Leahy to "go fuck himself"?
            What the hell???
            If social media had been as ubiquitous as it is today, maybe they wouldn't have gotten away with these gangster tactics?
            Actually, they probably still would.

"Please proceed, Governor."

by Dema Broad on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 01:11:28 AM PST

•  Did you miss all that? Lucky you! (4+ / 0-)

Cheney was deeply proud of his behavior. Here he is laughing about it on Fox News. After all, if you can shoot a good friend, and then are shameless enough to insist that HE apologize to YOU for it, well, you are hardly going to be ashamed of saying a few swear words on the Senate floor.

I just wish I could find clips of the GOP cutting the Dems' mics and turning off the lights. I remember it all quite vividly. End result - I would never consider voting for a Republican in any race - not even for dog catcher!

by AuroraDawn on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 08:56:18 AM PST

I have been thinking of this incident every time somebody opens his or her yap about "reaching across the aisle" & etc.

If I can get my act together, I want to find the YouTube recording of the mic cutoff (I believe it was a hearing on Iraq, and actual Iraqis were testifying?  Boxer and Feingold I think could be heard on the recording, amazed and shocked at what was happening).

I don't think the dems should, like, retaliate, or act as pettily as the Bush-era Repubs did, but these are the people we're still dealing with.  They behave like children.

The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?” - Aldo Leopold

by Knockbally on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 07:17:09 AM PST

•  You're welcome. I have NEVER.... (5+ / 0-)

forgotten how brazen the Republicans were during the eight year reign of Bush/Cheney, and probably never will! That broom closet hearing just stands out for me as a shining example of the GOP's contempt for both the Democratic Party and for democracy in general.

by AuroraDawn on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 08:46:15 AM PST

•  contempt for democracy (3+ / 0-)
                AuroraDawn, reflectionsv37, The Nose

That is it.  It's not just disdain and contempt for the other party, but for the whole democratic process.

I remember how kickass Boxer, Feingold and the Congressional Black Caucus were during those 8 years where no one else would dare peep at the prez.

Because, of course, they'd be shoved into a broom closet.

by Knockbally on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 09:06:23 AM PST

•  The Congressional Black Caucus... (5+ / 0-)

really seemed to act as the soul and conscience of the Party during the Bush years, with some help from individuals like Bernie Sanders, Feingold, Boxer, Kucinich and others.

I called Rep. Conyers at the time to thank him - and those who participated - for having the tenacity to hold that broom closet hearing. It made me proud that the Dems - some of them, at least - had the backbone to continue in spite of the shameful and disrespectful treatment they received from both the GOP and the supposedly "liberal" Press.

by AuroraDawn on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 09:13:20 AM PST

•  forgot Kuchinich and Sanders (2+ / 0-)
                    AuroraDawn, reflectionsv37

and I know there were others.  Too few, unfortunately.

Good for you to support Conyers at that time.  I'm sure it was great for him to hear.

Oh, yeah:  and go-to pundit Dana Milbank wrote that barely-researched piece?  Why do I repeatedly find myself shocked by the incompetence of the MSM?

by Knockbally on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 09:28:22 AM PST