View Diary: NHL owners demanding nothing short of full capitulation from locked-out players (140 comments)

•  I am nothing but an ATM for the NHL (8+ / 0-)

They don't care about fans.

They know that we will come back no matter what because we love the game.  For many of us, it is our "religion".

I support the Players.  They are being shat on by the 1%ers of the NHL.  Fuck Bettman.  Fuck the Owners.

My favorite players are playing in Europe and Russia now.  They aren't even at the table, they aren't allowed to be at the table, to have a voice.

This is not a lock out about the game, or about some crazy rule, or changing something that will decrease injuries... it's about the owners wanting more money from the players.  Fuck that.

This year I took my money and I bought season tickets to my local Western Hockey League team.  The Portland Winterhawks.  They are kicking ass and this is fun.  It's not big money versus big money.  There aren't even any real big egos out on the ice.  Just kids playing for a chance to be winners.  The Winterhawks are a development team and is all about education.  5 of our players from last year went to the NHL.

Greed has killed the NHL.  No Heart Left.

Don't blame the players.  And don't dare blame the fans.  Blame Bettman.  Blame the greedy bastard owners.

I think, sadly, I am down with being nothing but a ATM for Betman and the 1%ers of hockey.

They deserve a game misconduct.  Unsportsmanlike behavior.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 10:06:10 AM PST

•  oops typo (4+ / 0-)

I think, sadly, I am DONE with being nothing but a ATM for Bettman and the 1%ers of hockey.

I feel horrible for the young players who will now lost their shot at being in the NHL.

Sven Baartschi for one.  He should be playing his rookie year for the Calgary Flames.  A young kid with a fantastic future he worked hard for ... all gone because of fat, greedy white rich men.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 10:09:08 AM PST

•  If you have a local college or University team - (2+ / 0-)
      Damnit Janet, PapaChach

that's an option, though when the lean years come, they tend to last a while.

Best part - never sitting in the nose bleed section.
      Best part 2 - the student pep band.

•  My in laws gave up (3+ / 0-)

their season tickets to the Boston Bruins when they moved to the Fleet Center and every stoppage in play meant loud music being blasted at them.  As they said, "if we wanted to go to a concert, we'd get concert tickets".  They said it was no longer a hockey game but more of a circus.

They started supporting the college team at NH.  They said it was ten times better hockey.

I now support the WHL. :)  Have been going since we moved to Portland.  Finally I am a STH :)

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 10:20:50 AM PST

•  Ummm (3+ / 0-)

I like the nosebleed section.  You get to see the game better.  You see plays develop, you see how things flow.  And you don't smell the players ;o)

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 07:12:47 PM PST

•  i agree that the nosebleed (4+ / 0-)
          newfie, jakedog42, salmo, Damnit Janet

seats in hockey and football actually in some ways are the best places to watch a game. the main difference between the two sports, fan wise, is that football is truly much more fun to watch on tv, whereas hockey is not - hockey is like baseball in that camera angles can't capture the totality of what is happening away from the ball/puck, and that is often where the real beauty of the respective games lies: watching the sports ballet of eight other fielders running around after a ball is hit into the right-center field gap, or of watching hockey defenseman moving toward places where their anticipatory skills, honed through years of playing the game, tell them they need to go based on where the puck, three-quarters of the ice away, happens to be, are just not things that tv can do well.

for many years i was a huge fan of a local college team (rensselaer polytechnic institute) and went to almost every game from about 94 thru 93, and that was way more fun than i ever got from watching the nhl on tv (note: i grew up an islanders fan, and they've provided about as much fun as a case of shingles for most of the past quarter-century). also true: when minor league or college teams go bad, as rpi did, they tend to stay bad for a long, long time.

anyway...fuck the owners. they are weasels of the worst order. the players risk so much, and, well, i'm rambling here, but i just a week or so ago watched an espn "30 for 30" movie about athletes going broke. these guys may make a lot of money, but that earning power is compressed over a very short period of their lives, and lack of planning, bad advice, and injury often leave these guys in a bad place once their leagues have chewed them up and spit them out.

•  My son (1+ / 0-)
            Damnit Janet

is currently a fan of RPI hockey as he is now a student there.  Are you still in that region?

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 08:56:55 PM PST

•  I get it too (1+ / 0-)
            salmo

I'm not a team sport person, but when my kids started Soccer, I saw this:

in a soccer context, and when my son got to high school and college and pretty good it was really fun to watch the experienced players do what you said above.

So I see Soccer as Hockey without being cold (although here in the Colorado Rockies nothing is certain...)

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 09:01:30 PM PST