View Diary: Compassion Side Jesus and Bob's Red Mill Foods (126 comments)

•  I definitely want the blue cornmeal pancake (16+ / 0-)

recipe!!! I need all the new GF/lactose-free recipes I can get. Don't worry if the recipe has milk in it; I can probably get away w/subbing almond milk.

GREAT story, KoSC!

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 03:24:28 AM PST

•  There's a recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet (12+ / 0-)

that I loved making when we were trying a GF diet for our autistic son.  Most important, he loved eating it.  It's a crustless quiche. I made it with seafood but you could put anything in it I suppose.  Let me know if you want it.

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 03:44:41 AM PST

•  I'd like it please! Pretty please! n/t (6+ / 0-)
        •  Here it is: Crustless Seafood Quiche: (2+ / 0-)
          earicicle, SchuyH

1/2 C sliced mushrooms
          2 Tb butter or margarine
          4 eggs
          1 C sour cream or nondairy substitute, low-fat is fine
          1 C small-curd cottage cheese (low-fat is fine)
          1/4 C sweet rice flour
          1/4 tsp salt
          2 C grated monterey jack cheese [I used a blend of
                    Asiago, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Swiss]
          6 oz shrimp or crab meat [I put in 1/2 lb to 1 lb of shrimp]

Saute mushrooms in butter, then drain on a paper towel.

In a large mixing bowl, blend the eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, rice flour and salt.  Stir in the mushrooms, grated cheese, and shrimp.  Pour into a 9" or 10" quiche dish or deep dish pie plate sprayed with Pam or greased lightly.

Bake 45 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven, or until kniffe inserted in center comes out clean.  Let stand 5 mins. before cutting.  Serves 4 to 6.

Per serving:  Calories 400, Fat 29 grams, carbs 9 grams, cholesterol 235 mg, sodium 511 mg, Fiber 0, protein 25 grams.

Note:  I also added in some herbs/spices that went well with seafood, such as tarragon, black pepper, and sometimes a touch of pimenton dulce (sweet spanish paprika).

Enjoy!!!!

by concernedamerican on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 02:38:00 PM PST

•  Sounds delicious... (1+ / 0-)
            SchuyH

But lactose went out the window at the same time too. [Cancer treatment seems to have trashed my gut.]

Okay...now I'm hungry! ;-)

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 06:28:26 PM PST

•  You could use Tofutti sour cream, I am sure. (2+ / 0-)
              earicicle, SchuyH

It would blend really well with eggs.  As to the cheese substitute, try soy cheese.  Not sure what to do about substitution for the cottage cheese, though.

by concernedamerican on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 06:39:37 PM PST

•  Not all of these substitutes are sitting so well. (2+ / 0-)
                SchuyH, concernedamerican

So far, the coconut-based products, esp. the yogurt & coffee creamer--are working out best. Baby steps right now. I've lost almost a year to this GI stuff. And I miss cottage cheese--a daily staple!--most of all...

Thanks for being so thoughtful. ;-)

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 08:23:26 PM PST

•  Good luck! It is not easy eating dairy free or GF (1+ / 0-)
                  earicicle

and we tried both over a period of two and a half years.

We're in the process of severely cutting back our meat consumption (well I am, and I'm the family cook, so everyone else has to eat what I make, and they're on board with it).  Lots more fish, and beans and grains combos.  This is the easiest major dietary change that I've had to make so far.  Time was, we were vegetarians (before our son was born) for years.

Grains and dairy are staples in our diet, though-- and cutting the gluten grains out in a country where wheat is king and it's hard to get other grain-flour mixtures to rise, is hard hard hard.

by concernedamerican on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 04:07:25 AM PST

• Recommended (121)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (31)
  • Elections (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Environment (27)
  • Law (26)
  • Hillary Clinton (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • Culture (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Science (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Iraq (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site