View Diary: Pregnant woman dies in agony as doctors do nothing by command of the Irish Catholic Church (549 comments)

•  Not sure your ignorance adds anything constructive (5+ / 0-)

to this discussion. Just a thought from a religious person whose religion bears no resemblance to your stereotype.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 08:16:25 AM PST

•  That's the thing; I am not ignorant... (7+ / 0-)

I probably know more about religion and religious beliefs than the average believer does.

The logic remains; The Catholic Church opposes abortion because life is sacred, yet are willing to let a young woman die when there is life saving treatment available simply to maintain the opposition to abortion.

This Orwellian thinking is so common amoung ALL religions that it leaves only two possible conclusions: 1) They are making all these rules up themselves, thus the contradictions or 2) Their God is a psychopath.

Tax and Spend I can understand. I can even understand Borrow and Spend. But Borrow and give Billionaires tax cuts? That I have a problem with.

by LiberalCanuck on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 08:22:02 AM PST

•  raincrow: your comment is uncalled-for (1+ / 0-)
      pasadena beggar

as the commenter you're in dialog with has not demonstrated ignorance, albeit has demonstrated a lack of what might be considered proper respect for some one set of superstitions.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 09:19:04 AM PST

•  LiberalCanuck is being a bit absolutist (3+ / 0-)
        TheHalfrican, raincrow, tardis10

which is often perilous. But I agree with their sentiment, if not the absolutism.

Moving forward, consider the Congressional Progressive Caucus' Deal for All as a solution to the lame-duck budget and sequestration crisis. Democrats won, now use that!

by tytalus on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 09:24:16 AM PST

•  I disagree. (3+ / 0-)
        raincrow, TiaRachel, evilstorm

The characterization of all religions as holding the belief he or she describes is either ignorant or dishonest.

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 09:50:15 AM PST

•  Broadbrushing, bigotry, marginalization, and (2+ / 0-)
        AaronInSanDiego, TiaRachel

ignorance are unattractive and unhelpful, no matter who is doing it and no matter what the subject.

I, too, am grieved and outraged by the people who stood by while Savita Praveen suffered and died, and I hope the people of Ireland finally stand the fuck up for themselves and demand the right to determine when, whether, and how they will control their bodies.

But the commenter made a thoroughly bigoted asssertion about all religion, in the face of abundant evidence to the contrary. Problems cannot be mindfully addressed by people who refuse to observe the world mindfully.

Thus I stand by my comment.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 11:18:23 AM PST

•  The issue is that "religion" includes all (0+ / 0-)

these things. You can say that your religion wouldn't do this, but there are plenty of sects out there that not only would but do. How would you go about preventing this from happening?

•  Two can play this game. (3+ / 0-)
        AaronInSanDiego, zett, TiaRachel

Political parties include "all these things," too: rules, written and unwritten, ancient and new, that can be twisted out of ignorance, lack of empathy, or outright sociopathy; grants of power to those who should not have it; opportunities to lie to others about their worth, desensitize them to the reality around them, invent bullshit rationalizations for your misuse of power, etc.

So let's see here: You're presumably a Democrat since you're here at DK. How you would go about preventing forced-birth DINO/Blue Dog Democrats from joining with other forced birthers to limit my right to abortion? How would you go about preventing the misuse/overreach of Executive power by Democratic presidents?

Let's double down: You're a member of tribe H sap. EVERY human institution includes "all these things." How would you go about, say, preventing humans from tolerating (and even materially benefitting from) the suffering of others because of ancient, wrongheaded beliefs that such suffering is deserved or "just the way it is" or "for their own good"? Let's start with violence against children and move on to rape culture.

I mean, these ARE the actions of your tribe, so of course I am justified in assuming you have significant responsibility in bringing your tribe members to heel, aren't I? So, why haven't you and all the people who share your belief system done this already? Why is any of this still a problem after thousands of years? When will you finally address these problems in a way that satisfies my skepticism about your tribe's sanity, morality, and social worth?

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03:07 PM PST