View Diary: GUS: Past, Present, Future (77 comments)

•  Awww (7+ / 0-)

Roger looks like he's thoroughly enjoying himself. From what I can tell with Jack's toys, the catnip effect is intense at first, and then it sort of wears off and they don't seem to feel it for a while, and they kind of have to "reboot" for a few hours to get all wiggy again.

That's great you were able to get good info on diabetes for your little buddy. Sounds from previous comments that his Mom's on board too, so between the two of you I bet he's in good hands until he's old enough to manage things himself. And hey, with the threat of stem cell research being eliminated off the table for now (whew!), who knows how fast medicine catches up and figures out how to cure it. He's a youngun; odds are good they crack the code before he has to deal with the long-term ramifications of the disease.

I laughed at this:

I'm at the point of "where the hell did those past decades go???"
    You and me both, sistah! :-D

Glad you liked the diary. :-)

All I had yesterday was a piddly little outline and I didn't have it in me to write it last night after 7! You've been doing double diary duty for a while and I for one am most grateful (and enjoying the recipes!).

"When did it fall apart? Sometime in the '80s / When the great and the good gave way to the greedy and the mean." - Billy Bragg

by Vacationland on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:00:16 PM PST

•  Yeah, he's up from (8+ / 0-)

his little catnap.  Did a chew the pad thing for awhile and is now sitting on the armrest of the futon.  I'm guessing he's anticipating going after the tassles on the shade on the antique jade lamp.  He's alread knocked the damed thing over once and it weighs a ton.

I should start thinking about my Sunday diary.  I've been looking at recipes to for bottom round in my Romertopf clay roaster.  I discovered, online, that the company that now owns Romertopf products is discontinuing at least the clay cookers -- the most popular item.  That's what happens when you sell out to a company that sucks and only wants to bleed your assets.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:06:43 PM PST

•  I would be forever grateful... (8+ / 0-)

...if you could somehow find a recipe that tastes anything like the old Moroccan Tagine Simmer Sauce that Trader Joe's used to sell in jars. That was my secret weapon for making simple rotisserie chicken and rice or couscous taste like I'd actually cooked something from scratch. It's funny, I don't normally even like olives (and I understand they were in there) but I miss those North African flavors and I've never been able to find a reliable tagine recipe since. I know they are often prepared in clay pots or roasters.

Of course anything you come up with will be tasty!

by Vacationland on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:23:02 PM PST

•  Hmmm, now I'll be off on (8+ / 0-)

a search.  Besides olives, did the sauce have a citrus taste?  Preserved lemons and olives are part of Moroccan chicken which I cook in my Tagine.  I do have a recipe for that.  Was it a thick or thin sauce??

by gchaucer2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:41:16 PM PST

•  I found someone who (8+ / 0-)

was working off the label of a TJ's tagine simmer sauce with might be somewhat adapted.  While no lemon, it seems authentic.  Does it sound right to you?

Moroccan Tagine Sauce

"Tagines are stews that meld sweet and savory flavors. Release the full flavor of saffron, a spice used in Mediterranean cuisine, by crushing its threads before adding to the tagine."

Original recipe yield: 6 servings of sauce.
          Prep Time:15 Minutes
          Cook Time:25 Minutes
          Ready In:40 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon olive oil
          2 medium onions, sliced into thin wedges
          1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
          1 teaspoon Cinnamon
          1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
          1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
          1/4 teaspoon Saffron, crushed (optional)
          1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
          1/4 cup honey
          1/3 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion in skillet 7 minutes. Add garlic salt, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, and saffron, if desired. Stir in tomatoes and honey. Stir in raisins. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree until smooth.

Add to vegetables, chicken, seafood...

by gchaucer2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:47:31 PM PST

•  Ohhhhhh that kind of looks like it! (8+ / 0-)

Definitely a chunky, tomato-based sauce with those spices in it. I think you may have hit the jackpot!

Bless you!

by Vacationland on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:05:04 PM PST

•  Great! (8+ / 0-)

If it was chunky -- take out about 1/3 and set aside.  Puree the rest then blend the chunky sauce back in.  I love texture in a pureed or creamed sauce.

by gchaucer2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:13:30 PM PST

•  Sounds like that would work. (7+ / 0-)

I used to dump the sauce over veggies and sometimes toss in leftover grilled meat (usually chicken) and it was super tasty. Hard to find those spices in any kind of prepared food outside of specialty shops or big urban centers. Even in my little foodie town you can't find much (and we have Halal markets all over the place now, and African food at the regular supermarket); for some reason, North African/Middle or Near-Eastern products are hard to source.

Thanks for the tip!

by Vacationland on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:45:13 PM PST

•  wow, that is hard to believe (7+ / 0-)

that a foodie town would be missing North African/Middle or Near Eastern products.  Of course, I'm in a meat and potatoes town so the exotic stuff is limited.  I buy some great stuff online from Woodstock Farmers Market in VT.  They carry a brilliant line of foods from Tunisia.  I started with their couscous which is 100% better than the Israeli couscous you find in the market -- and makes the other couscous taste like sand.  They also have food stuff from these guys in Seattle, I think -- The Skillet.  They make bacon jam!!!!  I think it is labeled "spread."  Sounded disgusting until I watched the hilarious video and actually think it would be yummy even though I'm not fond of sweet stuff.

by gchaucer2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 05:33:57 PM PST

•  Oh, we have some stuff (6+ / 0-)

We're not hurting for falafel mix or (locally) pre-made falafel, middle-eastern flatbreads, tahini, and the spices, but not much in the way of pre-made stuff. Our local African population asks for stuff from a different region (Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopian, Sudanese) so we have things like halal camel meat & goat, and even some packaged South African entrees, but not much from North Africa (Algeria, Tunisia, etc.).

I suppose it's just a matter of time, though...for a little town (< 70K), we have a lot of restaurants and specialty shops!. :-)

by Vacationland on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:06:57 PM PST