View Diary: Let's make Daily Kos even more efficient. (137 comments)

•  Yup. I'm a data guy. (0+ / 0-)

The majority of people who've commented on my stuff have no problem with the way I publish it. Or at least they forgive my back-linking transgressions because, whodathunkit, I have something thought-provoking to say (as do a lot of the people who've responded to what I've written here and elsewhere).

As for your 275 diaries and 12000 comments over seven years...hrm...looks like you've got a much bigger sample size than what I've got. You really can't tell what the trajectory of my comment versus dairy entry posts will be. And even if you could, what does it matter? For all you know, I've read every single thing every person has written on DK in the last month, but just not commented on it. Instead, I've chosen to spend my writing time on original posts. And there should be absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for people getting to know me before I get too brash? Meh. I get brash when people's irrational behavior annoys the crap out of me, even if it is only a few bad apples (in fact, about three bad apples across all 16 of my posts). I'm not going to genuflect to those people, but I will raise a stink about how irrational they're being. And if that's not in the spirit of DK, I don't know what is.

Brash Equilibrium /brASH ēkwəˈLIBrēəm/ Noun: a state in which the opposing forces of snark and information are balanced

by Brash Equilibrium on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 08:33:53 PM PST

•  I'll quit here (3+ / 0-)

in the hope that you stop digging.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 08:38:11 PM PST

•  What do you mean? (0+ / 0-)

The hole I'm digging for myself while shouting obscenities? ;-)

by Brash Equilibrium on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 08:44:52 PM PST

•  Every comment you make that (2+ / 0-)
          Murphoney, BruceCA

seems to elevate your perception of what Daily Kos should be over that of the existing Daily Kos community itself.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 09:33:40 PM PST

•  ? (0+ / 0-)

I've made three major suggestions for the Kos community:

1.) People need to lose their irrational disapproval of blog back-links.

2.) Ignore-a-tag option (not an ignore-a-person option).

3.) Syndicated tag; let's people know this stuff has been published elsewhere in case they have the thing that (1) addresses.

As for the rest of the DK community, seems okay to me (including the snarkiness and assholery. Seriously, look at me!)

by Brash Equilibrium on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 09:48:39 PM PST

•  Look: (3+ / 0-)
              Sylv, TiaRachel, Neuroptimalian

You've gotten good advice in the comments here, especially from twigg, about becoming part of this community, a word that you yourself use to describe dkos. If you truly want to be a member of this community, offer comments to others' diaries. Yes, I know you said you're so busy writing original stuff that you don't have time, but I don't buy it; how long can it take to read a diary, think, and then add something useful in the comments?

As I said at the start, you've gotten useful advice; unless you simply want to demonstrate your "brashness," you might ought* to take it.

(I'm a Southerner; double modals are an important part of our linguistic repertoire.) :)

Being the single intellectual in a village of 1,100 souls ain't much fun, especially when 1,099 of those don't think you're all that smart.--Lucy Marsden

by Miniaussiefan on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:00:37 AM PST

•  Well, you might could... (1+ / 0-)
                Sylv

...give me more than a month to demonstrate my community-ness.

by Brash Equilibrium on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:13:56 AM PST

•  Yep - I might could. (1+ / 0-)
                  Sylv

It's just that you sounded so determined in this diary's comments to resist the good advice you were getting--until your "fair enough" comment to twigg, for which I (quietly) applaud you.

by Miniaussiefan on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:18:09 AM PST

•  I didn't take most of the advice these comments? (2+ / 0-)
                    Sylv, TiaRachel

The best advice in the comments has been:

1. comment more on people's diaries. I'll get right on that as soon as I have something better to say about what somebody else writes other than, "Yup! Thumbs up for writing something I agree with, buddy!" Because that's basically half of what I would say to a lot of the writers here, who write stuff I agree with. Come to think of it, perhaps I'll use the recommend feature more often. I completely forgot about that (at least for original posts; I do lot of comment recommending).

2. Post your syndicated entries verbatim. Which is a practice I said I had adopted already.

3. (twigg's piece) People don't "suffer fools gladly" here. Have a thick skin. Which I say, "Fair enough" to, but I think my argument against knee-jerk Diary policing that clutters up discussion sections still stands.

by Brash Equilibrium on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:28:20 AM PST