View Diary: John McCain thinks Susan Rice is "not very bright" (289 comments)

•  well, the mensa threshold used to be (6+ / 0-)

138 as the 98th percentile (20 years ago) ... so 128-133 is not too bad.

Scary thought: 100 is median, so half the people you meet are below that .....and some of them are in congress....

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 10:15:35 PM PST

•  Scarier yet police have to get a score on their (2+ / 0-)
      Carol in San Antonio, Wee Mama

entry test that witihin a narrow range  and the average IQ is about 104.
      That came out when a man denied acceptance to police academy because he scored too high, IQ equivalent of about 125 sued claiming discrimination. He lost. Smart people are not a discriminated against group.
      Better find link since that sounds made up.
      Here, from ABC in 2000
      My numbers are right. This article says it seemed a good policy to reduce job turnover. I think smart cops would be a good thing but then I am just a (smart) girl.

Stats say about 1 in 10 have an IQ over 120 so 90th percentile, 1 in 20 over 125 or 95th percentile and 1 in 50 over 132 or 98th percentile.

Maybe John was that smart once but the harder and meaner the heart and more rigid the brain... you get dumb.

•  problem is w/entire idea of general intelligence (6+ / 0-)

there are also question about some of the tests being used.

When I was in the Marine Corps as I recall the highest possible score was 150, although on some dimensions a higher score was possible.  I was told I had the highest score anyone in my training battalion had ever seen, which may be part of the reason why abou 8 months after bootcamp they wanted to send me to Annapolis.  Who knows.

And yet when my parents explored the possibility of sending me to a private school and I took an IQ test the woman with whom we were working said I did not qualify as a genius.

I was briefly as a freshman in college a member of Mensa, and found it not of that much interest.

Someone can be brilliant and totally lack any people skills.   Richard Nixon was like that, and more than I might want to admit I am more than awkward in people skills.

Others might be bright but not that brilliant but are more effective in their ability to work with others.

I think we put too much emphasis on scores achieved on any kind of standardized tests, and I feel free in  saying that since I am usually at the top of the charts on such tests, in part because I read very quickly, and I do not think they necessarily provide an accurate portrayal of the testee.

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:42:13 AM PST

•  There are also many who don't test particularly (3+ / 0-)
          Wee Mama, wintergreen8694, ScienceMom

well who make up for it with hard work and studying.

•  oh as a teacher I understand that (0+ / 0-)

having seen students whose standardized test scores and SATs were not all that spectacular who went on to graduate with honors from top colleges and universities

by teacherken on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 07:21:15 AM PST

•  As an aside ... (1+ / 0-)
          LSophia

there is s strong cultural bias to these tests.  Susan Rice, as a minority, should not have tested well so ... therefore, she is not so bright.

It always scares the willies out of racists when a minority, especially a minority woman, shows intelligence.  Shouldn't be possible since most of the ways to prove intelligence is stacked against minorities and women.

"Life without liberty is like a body without spirit. Liberty without thought is like a disturbed spirit." Kahlil Gibran, 'The Vision'

by CorinaR on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 08:10:05 AM PST

•  I agree at the limits of what IQ really measures (0+ / 0-)

But what I find scary is that they place such a low cap on who qualifies.
          Because testing well also doesn't mean you would make a bad cop or have bad skills or would grow bored and leave

•  I bet there are plenty of people with an IQ (0+ / 0-)

below 100 who have more sense than the average Republican. IQ does not equal wisdom.

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 08:19:24 AM PST