View Diary: Papa John's CEO is exaggerating when he tries to scare you on Obamacare's cost per pizza (140 comments)

•  I found a quaint, local pizza joint a few years (13+ / 0-)

ago. Haven't ordered a chain pizza since. Actually, this local joint uses real ingredients and no meat fillers, etc. Worth the dollar more for a real pizza.

They also give me a helium-filled balloon too! Just how fucking cool is that?!

Hope has a hole in it when Republicans come, bringing shackles and sorrow; branding their greed on the backs of the poor. - Wendy Connors

by Wendys Wink on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 08:40:11 AM PST

•  OMG, tonight (4+ / 0-)

I am going to have pizza (which is exciting when you're gluten free and can only eat pizza in a few places), and Risotteria uses real, fresh mozzarella and doesn't sugar up their tomato sauce and tonight I'm having the pizza with prosciutto on it, which is a revelation, I'm telling you.

•  Or make your own (7+ / 0-)

If you love pizza and you don't have an independently owned pizza place in your neighborhood, learn to make your own. You will take chain pizza places off your speed dial forever.

It's easier than you think, but there is a learning curve. The crust is key. Invest in a pizza stone and buy good cheese. For the best American Pie, consult pizza guru Peter Reinhart.

Remember, we can always opt out and create alternatives to corporate-controlled goods and services. Patronizing co-ops and locally-owned/employee-owned businesses, learning how to do things ourselves, and investing in a communtiy-based economy can be more effective than confronting these bad faith players. It also helps our community's bottomline a heck of lot more.

What those guys do not understand is that we are citizens first, not consumers. Who really needs a Papa John's, an Applebees, or a Denny's?

In that spirit, I hope you join me on Thanksgiving and Black Friday and celebrate "Buy Nothing Days" (isn't it sad that we have to include the holiday now) and then give your local economy a boost by observing Small Business Saturday. I bet there is an independent eatery somewhere near you.

If money is speech, then speech is money and I should be able to pay my bills with witty social commentary, astute political analysis or good old blarney

by heiderose1 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 11:06:26 AM PST

•  And if you're good, (0+ / 0-)

learn to do gluten-free.  It will pull in people who can never go to a chain.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:34:50 PM PST

•  Home - made pizza rocks. (1+ / 0-)
        cactusflinthead

We got out of the habit when our old DAK bread maker croaked, but...

wow!

We used to make crust with garlic and a dash of cayenne pepper, make our own sauce (with more cayenne for good measure) and then make either a vegetarian pizza with tomatoes, onions, spinach, and pinapples or swap out the spinach for Canadian bacon.

Pop that in a hot oven on an equally hot pizza stone ---
        yum.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:57:41 PM PST

•  Local chains are also pretty good (0+ / 0-)

We've got Pizza Chicago here -- small chain (stores in San Jose, Santa Clara, Palo Alto and maybe a couple other places) doing good Chicago-style deep dish.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:25:44 PM PST

•  Exactly. (1+ / 0-)
      blue aardvark

Whenever possible, buy local.

I have 4 local pizza places within a 10 block radius of my place, and a Pizza Hut.  I will never go to the PH.

It is hard to imagine a town too small to have a local pizza place.  If it is big enough to support a chain, it is big enough to support home grown, and the latter will probably be better and get better business.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:32:52 PM PST