View Diary: God Damn It, This is Serious, Y'all! (217 comments)

•  It's not a relaxant if one is allergic to it. (4+ / 0-)

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and hence clamorous to be led to safety, by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken, 1925

by cv lurking gf on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 04:29:27 PM PST

•  Or (4+ / 0-)

if it makes you paranoid (to the point where you want to lock yourself in the shower stall, whimpering) and then nauseated.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:12:23 PM PST

•  Yes! That's it. (2+ / 0-)
        Crashing Vor, kyril

by cv lurking gf on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:37:44 PM PST

•  Did you know cannabis can elevate your heartbeat (5+ / 0-)

rate by as much as 20% to 50%, temporarily, and quite soon after inhaling it as smoke or vapor?

Know what your body associates a sudden increase in heart rate with? Danger.

The Fight or Flight mode can kick in. Which makes you look around for whatever is dangerous... and because you don't know why you're doing it, you interpret this sort of atavistic behavior as "paranoia".

The nausea that comes after is a common feeling in anyone who has a surge in blood pressure, followed by a concurrent drop back to normal. Diabetics know this feeling from a steep and sudden drop in blood sugar. In both cases, one's endocrine system takes a jolt and the aftermath contains some physical effects.

"I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization" -- me

by Angie in WA State on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 08:14:52 PM PST

•  Migraine headache and bronchitis for three days (3+ / 0-)
      kyril, cv lurking gf, Crashing Vor

That's what my first and only taste of marijuana gave me.  My friends told me I needed to "keep at it" to get the effect, but I decided it simply wasn't worth the effort.  I became the person who reliably had munchies in their room throughout college (I did all my own cooking, getting off the meal plan as fast as possible), and otherwise, left it alone.

Felt the same way about beer until I discovered Guinness.

"There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do." — Terry Pratchett (A Hat Full of Sky)

by stormicats on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 08:30:01 PM PST

•  Odd. I felt the same about beer too, (2+ / 0-)
        Crashing Vor, entrelac

until Guinness. What a strange coincidence.

by cv lurking gf on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 05:26:06 AM PST