View Diary: We got the good news today: our insurance premiums are going up because of Obamacare (287 comments)

•  Mine has gone up every year and the deductible (8+ / 0-)

has also gone up every year I have been with my company.

Last year mine went up $15/wk, the lowest it had gone up.  The previous year it went up 150% and the family deductible went up from $3000 to $4000/yr.

Currently I am paying $280/wk for medical, $30/wk dental, $50/wk for life/std/ltd.

"Death is the winner in any war." - Nightwish/Imaginareum/Song of myself.

by doingbusinessas on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 10:56:23 AM PST

•  $280...a...week...*gasp*...holy crap! (5+ / 0-)

We pay, if I recall, $240-something per biweekly paycheck for our 50% of premiums. Please tell me at least that this is the price of an INDIVIDUAL market not 50% of your premiums...

•  Yours is closer (4+ / 0-)

with what I was paying too. It was about $200+/week on a 42 week salary. Now retired. Still need the family plan to cover my wife. Insurance just jumped 10%. Looking forward to what everything in ACA kicks in and, hopefully, every stabilizers. But in all honesty, have never had any trouble with insurance as our kids grew up or now. Compared to some of the horror stories we heard when this was all debated - I'm lucky.

•  A lot if those stories were a one-sided (0+ / 0-)

irate take on something without all the facts. They were designed and selected to have that effect and to stoke the wrath of conspiracy theorists.

Much of that was done by a fairly effective lobbying group which believed in what they were selling which coincidentally protected and aided their own interests.

Most people with private insurance were happy with their insurance — aside form costs. It helped them feel secure. That's why you could not switch immediately to a single payer system. Change to something unknown scares most people and this was aided by the tremendous money interests who would be impacted. Those money interests were not limited to insurers.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 06:37:46 PM PST

•  I pay about $220 a month for family care/Kaiser. (8+ / 0-)

I switched from Blue Cross to Kaiser to save the money and Kaiser offered my employer a really good deal to entice more of us to switch. We get the choice of Kaiser and BCBS in DC/MD. I didn't want to switch but it cut my premiums in half so I decided I had to give it a shot. So far I am very happy with Kaiser. Too bad they aren't in more places. My employer covers about about half of our premiums too but we have over 200 people covered so I guess that's why the premiums are cheaper.

•  Kaiser is a good plan (1+ / 0-)
          lighttheway

they should go national.

•  Kaiser has its own hospitals, outpatient clinics, (0+ / 0-)

etc. So 'going national' is not exactly feasible. They can't immediately scale up and build facilities nationwide. That said, they do provide, effectively, a single payer model of care: non-profit, managed & w/salaried employees. And it is very cost-effective.

I grew up on Kaiser in Hawaii, and it worked pretty well for our family.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:45:55 PM PST

•  I think the Hospital and Clinics are only in (0+ / 0-)

Hawaii and the West Coast.  I worked for Kaiser for several years but left in 2005.  At that time, the insurance portion was still on the east coast.  So many people have Kaiser insurance, but get there care at non-Kaiser facilities.  That portion of the Kaiser umbrella acts much like BCBS, providing insurance but not the actual care.

I like the Kaiser model in California and Hawaii (I worked in both locations), and I thought the care was very good, as a prescriber and as a patient of the system.

Expose the lies. Fight for the truth. Push progressive politics. Save our planet. Health care is a right, not a privilege.

by lighttheway on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 06:00:01 AM PST

•  I love Kaiser.... (2+ / 0-)
          maryru, lighttheway

it is what my son has through Oregon's Healthy Kids Connect program. $23 a month!

Love his doc and how efficient they are.

FORWARD! Obama/Biden 2012

by Esjaydee on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:33:06 PM PST

•  wholesale is cheaper than retail (0+ / 0-)

Kaiser can be cheaper because it usually employs its medical staff and has an interest in not over treating.

by samddobermann on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 06:40:57 PM PST

•  I did the math. (3+ / 0-)

That totals $18,720 a year, or 37.3 percent of the median family income of $50,054. Holy crap, even at double that income that is unsustainable. No wonder we are going into an economic death spiral.

Trickle Down Economics 101: They get the golden parachute, we get the golden shower.

by NoMoreLies on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:28:18 AM PST

•  in Australia (0+ / 0-)

I pay nothing for basic care.  I have supplemental insurance to cover extras like more teeth, more eyes, physio, etc; and that costs me $67 per month.

Oh, the benefits of universal health care!

Also, I don't fret when I need care in another state as to which clinics are "in my plan" -- they are ALL in my plan.