View Diary: Open thread for night owls: So long to the neoconservatives? (197 comments)

•  Hi Grover, it was the post office who... (2+ / 0-)
    grover, JeffW

supposedly delivered the package.  The time of delivery doesn't make sense though, as the mailperson never arrives on Mondays before 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and this says it was delivered late morning.  I'm going to talk to the mailperson later today and see what's up.  Thanks.

"Really nice, but also very serious about his job." Jackie Evancho on President Obama 6/7/12

by BarackStarObama on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:12:44 AM PST

•  Around the holidays, the post office often (3+ / 0-)
      DeadHead, BarackStarObama, JeffW

sends out vans full of packages -- not your usual mail carrier, but other postal workers, sometimes temp workers, whose job is simply to move packages.

It keeps our regular postal carriers from getting totally weighed down and working until midnight every night. That's the upside.

The downside is that these folks don't know the best places to leave packages; the buildings where it's not safe to leave packages out; where they should leave packages with neighbors (although that takes time), etc.

So it's kind of chaotic at best and unreliable at worst.  Shippers who use USPS at the holidays know full well that this is a risk. The UPS guy and the Fed Ex woman rarely t leave stuff in building lobbies. They try to deliver things to doors, or if not doors, then neighbors.  So most businesses that use USPS understand that there is going to be some loss as a result.

I'd talk to my neighbors if I bump into them and with my mail carrier; then I'd call the company and tell them I never got it. They may request that you file a claim with USPS, especially if it was shipped insured. But since it's the holidays, they'll probably just write it off and send you another.

If they don't remedy it immediately though, file for a charge-back on your credit card. Then put in a claim with the post office in case it shows up. If it does and if you still want it, you can always call the retailer and pay for the item again. But my guess is that if it's been delivered and if hen you chat with your neighbors, they don't know anything about it, it's gone forever.

Maybe someone saw it and realized that it wasn't safe sitting in the lobby and snagged it for you. Hopefully.

Good luck!

© grover

by grover on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:24:55 AM PST

•  Thanks again Grover, you opened up... (2+ / 0-)
        JeffW, DeadHead

a couple logical possibilities, all of which are far better than someone stealing it.  I'm going to push really hard in a few hours.

by BarackStarObama on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 03:23:32 AM PST

•  I've been told that USPS delivered a package to my (3+ / 0-)
          JeffW, DeadHead, BarackStarObama

House, but never received it.

Then two days later, someone from 3 blocks away dropped it by. Postal workers scan off that they delivered it. But there is no way to confirm it was delivered properly to the correct address.  Our usual postal workers know us and our neighborhoods.

But these temporary folks -- who range from management working in the field to cover the crush to actual temp workers --  don't know our neighborhoods -and us  --like our regular workers do.  Normally your regular carrier sorts her own mail, and knows pretty much everyone  on it. But with these extra deliveries, it's  not like that.

So more errors get made.

I've learned to not waste too much time on lost packages. I shop online for most stuff, including non-perishable groceries. My family lives out of state. Shipping is how I do almost everything. And sometimes things get misdirected.

Around the holidays, especially, it's kind of a miracle as many get delivered seamlessly and on time  as they do.

© grover

by grover on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:52:32 AM PST

•  It was a sub helping deliver stuff... (1+ / 0-)
            grover

for the regular postman Grover, I'm hoping he delivered it to the wrong place or something.  Thanks again.

by BarackStarObama on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:11:55 PM PST

•  My package has arrived Grover!!... (0+ / 0-)

it was delivered to the wrong condo building by a sub, but I have it now.  :)  I learned a lot from your responses my friend, thank you.

by BarackStarObama on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:59:43 PM PST