View Diary: The Descent of Republicans (163 comments)

•  Hard sometimes to differentiate between the (0+ / 0-)

tide of national opinion moving away from liberalism and opportunistic politicians, but if I felt as you seem to that the Democrats are just Quislings I would look for another party.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a Republican. But I repeat myself. Harry Truman

by ratcityreprobate on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:23:16 AM PST

•  Someone, I can't remember who, said something (1+ / 0-)
      JerryNA

To the effect that maturity was coming to understand that life was not a matter of " good and bad " but rather -- often-- one of " bad and worse. "

I've found that to be fairly true when I look at political choices these days . . . Not always, of course, but not infrequently either.

"Let's see what fresh fuckwittery these dolts can contrive to torment themselves with this time." -- Iain Banks, The Hydrogen Sonata

by Rikon Snow on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:44:58 AM PST

•  Funny you should say that (3+ / 0-)
      Rikon Snow, tardis10, JerryNA

because whenever I even mention that we should be willing to support alternative Progressive parties such as the Greens in local races, I get jumped all over and have donuts thrown at me.

The thing to do when we are undercut by corporadems and the like is to do everything in our power to pressure the party to discourage and punish them, by either supporting the most Progressive Dems we can find in the primaries, and/or by supporting Greens in for local jobs such as school boards, town councils, etc.

Al Qeada is a faith-based initiative.

by drewfromct on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 08:02:14 AM PST

•  I was told that even mentioning the (1+ / 0-)
        drewfromct

Greens would get you banned.   Hope that's not true . . . Guess I'll find out.

by Rikon Snow on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 08:15:35 AM PST

•  Haven't been banned yet (1+ / 0-)
          Rikon Snow

but if I do get banned here for even mentioning that we should be supporting people whom I view as our natural allies, then I don't belong here anyway.

Al Qeada is a faith-based initiative.

by drewfromct on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 08:34:35 AM PST

•  I'm certainly not suggesting you should be banned. (0+ / 0-)

I just don't understand why you would hang out at a site dedicated to electing Democrats if "the Dems have cravenly, cowardly, and corruptedly (sic) moved with them and enabled them."  If I believed that I would be out of here in a minute.

by ratcityreprobate on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 09:15:33 AM PST

•  I only came here because I heard "better (3+ / 0-)
              tardis10, drewfromct, trevzb

democrats" as part of the formulation.  If it's really "only democrats," I'm probably not in the right place.  I'm happy to work for all sorts of democrats -- Warren, Baldwin, Grayson, Dean -- and fellow travelers -- Sanders.

In other cases . . . eh, well.

by Rikon Snow on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 09:56:10 AM PST

•  See the other reply to this (0+ / 0-)

I don't see all Democrats behaving reprehensibly. Just too many of them. I come here to participate in a healthy intellectual discussion and exchange of ideas. In case you haven't noticed, there's a lot more going on here that Democratic partisan politics. But as far as that goes, I come here to join in those who are working to wield whatever influence we can to elect "More and Better" Dems and to move the party--and our country--forward instead of backwards.

Al Qeada is a faith-based initiative.

by drewfromct on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 10:37:43 AM PST

•  That is a substantial modification of what you (0+ / 0-)

said in your original comment.  Where Dems were worse than Republicans and "the Dems", not some Dems were craven, corrupt and cowardly which is just bull shit.

by ratcityreprobate on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 11:43:36 AM PST

•  I draw a distinction... (3+ / 0-)
        drewfromct, tb92, JerryNA

...based on the area that is represented by a conservative Democrat.

Or, to put it another way, I wouldn't have minded Joe Lieberman as much if he were representing, say, Indiana instead of Connecticut.

And I used Indiana intentionally, because we're going to be constantly frustrated by our new Democratic senator from that state...and will need to remember that he's still far better than the Republican alternative.

Similarly, I would have been delighted if Paul Sadler had won the senate race here in Texas.  I'm sure he would vote well to the right of what I would prefer...but he still would have been worlds better than tea party nutcase Ted Cruz.

As for voting third party...I generally reserve that for instances where the Democratic party doesn't have a candidate in a race.  Here in Texas, that's a pretty common scenario...and given a choice between voting for a Republican, Libertarian, or Green, I'll take the Green.  For that matter, given a choice between the Republican and Libertarian, I'll vote Libertarian.  If the Republican is on the ballot alone, I simply don't vote in that race.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 08:42:49 AM PST

•  Yeah, I guess (1+ / 0-)
          JerryNA

the thing to do, especially at the higher levels, is to go with the lesser of two evils. But I still hate knowing that some of us are forced to vote for "Democrats" who enable the worst of the Rethuggery. Max Baucus, for instance, shouldn't just be kicked out of the party for sinking the Public Option--he needs to be kicked good and hard in the balls!

As for races where a Rethug runs unopposed, why not show up and write in a protest vote?  I've been toying for years with the idea of having my name legally changed to "None Of The Above" and then running a write-in campaign  :-)

Al Qeada is a faith-based initiative.

by drewfromct on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 09:12:05 AM PST

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (28)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Culture (25)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site