View Diary: Dear Mr. Romney (64 comments)

•  Don't really like the insinuation that if you (18+ / 0-)

have type 2 diabetes it must be "lifestyle related". It is far far more complicated than that, and I would point out that even Olympic athletes have developed it (while still in active competition).

hope springs eternal

by ahyums on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 05:44:20 AM PST

•  I think... (27+ / 0-)

the diarist realizes this, as do most/all rational thinking humans.

However, you'll note the diarist is writing Mitt Romney, so the "rational thinking human" part of the above statement does not apply.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:33:29 AM PST

•  ALL (0+ / 0-)

Missing point.

If you are diabetic you should die.  Wtf?  Health is for profit.  Not sure what you are missing there.

Second, we won't be getting those front page Mitt Romneyb diaries.  That was funny.

But again, we have no expectation of health food or housing.  So all you obama voters should take your food stamp cosy and go home.

He is the ultimate douche.  Fyi.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order." Ed Howdershelt

by Lava20 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 02:44:16 PM PST

•  Type 2 is life style related (2+ / 0-)
      Glinda, greengemini

As a Type 1 diabetic, I would like you to name the Olympic athletes who are Type 2s as I am only aware of 4 Type 1s at the 2012 Olympics, so I would like to be educated on this count.

Instead of sympathizing with the plight of PolitiSis with a Type 1 diabetic daughter who could not continue her insulin, why get uptight over a medically established fact that Type 2 is life style related, and hence proven to be preventable.  How is it "far more complicated?"

•  It is far more complicated - many who get type 2 (7+ / 0-)

Diabetes have had perfectly healthy lifestyles. Yes there is a link between inactivity and obesity and type 2 diabetes but it is far from the only factor, genetics plays a very large role as do other factors, further even if onset is more premature than it might otherwise be due to obesity and inactivity that is by no means in every case a lifestyle choice.

Re type 2 Olympians the first that comes to mind is Steve Redgrave who won a 5th gold medal in Sydney after having developed it.

Now as for the diarist's daughter of course I have every sympathy and it's a scandal that getting the medication and care she needs is as difficult as it is, but then I am a firm believer in universal healthcare and think that if things were as they should be money would never be a factor in medical desicions.

hope springs eternal

by ahyums on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 08:47:43 AM PST

•  Sometimes It Isn't That Straight Forward (10+ / 0-)

Take me for example. I'm Type 2. I wasn't too surprised at the diagnosis because of my lifestyle - after a physically active youth I had two decades of a horrible, sedentary work schedule (50 - 60 hours a week as an attorney). One reason I was recently laid off was for cutting my hours to work out, get regular sleep, and concentrate on a healthier diet that doesn't include a drive-thru. Nonetheless, I own my past and it's contribution to my health issues.

But none of the other attorneys at my prior firm who were just as heavy (read fat), more sedentary, and ate worse crap than me have diabetes. I was actually considered the health nut. What's different between me and them?

After I was diagnosed I found out that almost my entire family on my mom's side is Type 2. These are not obese, sedentary people with bad diets. Most of them barely break 100 lbs soaking wet. They were manual laborers.  They still walk everywhere in their small town. And they eat a mainly vegetarian diet that they grow themselves as they've done their entire lives. My skinny, physically fit, vegetable eating relatives weren't diagnosed until their late 50's or early 60's. I just got what was genetically coming to me earlier than I would have because of my lifestyle.

•  Not necessarily. (6+ / 0-)

Type 2 can be brought on by intense trauma, say a car accident, or war wounds.

Type 1 is the genetic type, passed on by parents, and some research indicates that there may be an environmental trigger, such as mumps or an as yet unidentified virus.

Unlike people with type 1 diabetes, people with type 2 diabetes produce insulin; however, either their pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body cannot use the insulin adequately. This is called insulin resistance. When there isn't enough insulin or the insulin is not used as it should be, glucose (sugar) can't get into the body's cells. When glucose builds up in the blood instead of going into cells, the body's cells are not able to function properly.
        Source.

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man." -- Thomas Paine

by sailmaker on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 10:54:01 AM PST

•  Type 2 can also be brought on by some drugs (3+ / 0-)
        Kitsap River, pollyusa, ahyums

I know someone well who exercised enthusiastically until she had a heart attack.  At that point no sign of diabetes and no obesity.  Two years on betablockers led to Type 2.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 01:28:16 PM PST

•  There are LOTS of things that cause Type 2 (3+ / 0-)
        emeraldmaiden, old wobbly, ahyums

For example, a Type 1 who has been cured of both Type 1 and kidney failure by a kidney/pancreas transplant can easily develop Type 2 due to the required long-term use of prednisone to keep the transplants going.

That's just a single example. There are many more.

What you are saying to every Type 2 is "you brought it on yourselves, you lazy fat pigs". Instead of seeking sympathy for PolitiSis' daughter by telling us Type 2 PWDs how much more virtuous than us she is and you are, why not approach this from a standpoint that doesn't start by condemning other PWDs?

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 02:47:20 PM PST

•  Thanks (0+ / 0-)

I came in the comments to make this point. You did it well

•  Type 1 and 2 diabetes (0+ / 0-)

Miss Blue is exactly correct. I am aware that Type 2 is not necessarily lifestyle/diet related, and usually has a genetic component as well. Moreover, like Type 1, Type 2 often also requires insulin or other medication. Unfortunately, the typical approach by those who are against the ACA is to claim diabetes in general is a lifestyle issue, and then conflate Type 1 and Type 2 to pretend that both can always be controlled through diet and exercise.  I was (somewhat sarcastically) stressing to Mr. Romney that diet and exercise will not keep my daughter alive without daily insulin injections.