View Diary: People in creative professions have higher incidence of mental illness in family lines (121 comments)

•  Having a thyroid that's out of whack (8+ / 0-)

can definitely mimic the symptoms of depression. Not saying that's all it is. Just that you need to get the thyroid right before you'll know whether it's depression, too, or not.

Insist that the doctor check your reflexes and listen to you when you tell him or her how you feel, not just say your blood test results are within normal range and stop there in treating your thyroid.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 03:34:25 PM PST

•  I'm being treated for the thyroid. But, I'm (8+ / 0-)

susceptible to situational depression.  I currently don't really have a primary doctor as mine retired a year ago last October.  Hopefully, I'll have a real job with real benefits soon so that all of the tests can be updated, cause right now to get my meds renewed costs $500 for a fifteen minute consult with a 'doctor' and simple tsh blood test.

I do have a contract job, but it has no benefits with it... so I make way too much money for the free or sliding clinics and I don't think a consult should cost me $500.

•  You are paying too much. (4+ / 0-)

I see a University of Pennsylvania guy so eminent he's not listed in the Yellow Pages.  He looks like a Jewish Santa Claus. So cute you could just die.  Really good psychiatrist.
        I pay $100.00.  I do not do a blood test but how expensive could that be?

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 04:58:56 PM PST

•  We have a guy in our town who comes once (3+ / 0-)
        nchristine, HoundDog, Oh Mary Oh

a month and does blood draws at the local health food stores specifically for people with no insurance or lousy insurance. And he's much cheaper than regular labs. You should ask at the health food store. Maybe you've got one, too. He makes a circuit of three or four states, NC, SC, VA, I think.

And the doctor's fee seems really high, too. Have you looked for one who offers a discount for cash up front? Sometimes those work. No paperwork. No waiting. Everybody's better off.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 05:29:01 PM PST

•  My thyroid packed in 15 years ago (3+ / 0-)
        nchristine, kurt, Oh Mary Oh

and I have had to go from having my thyroid tested every three months to every year.  Even though my numbers and my dosage have remained the same since my first prescription.

I have found doctors extremely accommodating if you catch them outside a clinical situation.  They know the medication is lifesaving and lifelong.  I had my father's physician write me a scrip because I was out of town when my father was in the hospital.  My neighbor once wrote me a scrip.  And in spite of of that silly suggestion that you could trade chickens for medical care, I did actually trade a sheep for a year-long prescription that I am still on.  But I do know how finding doctors like that is next to impossible.

And they do need to know your lab numbers are recent.  So find out if your local lab needs a scrip for a tsh.  They may not.  You can see yourself by the numbers whether your prescription is good - because that's all the doctors will do, and I'm afraid that's not enough.  But at least if you have recent lab tests in hand, you can ask around if anyone has a doctor relative who can help.

In spite of my numbers always being perfect, my hair gets thinner every year while the rest of me gets fatter.  I've gone from 90lbs to 150lbs in little steps. I have the depression.  But no doctor will increase my dose.

•  Yeah. Nothing more fun than being an anxious, (3+ / 0-)
      nchristine, CherryTheTart, kurt

depressed eggplant. When do we get some serious medical attention to thyroid other than the simplistic TSH test- okay here's some Synthroid?

•  Yeah, I've had to argue for the T3 and T4 blood (3+ / 0-)
        CherryTheTart, DawnN, kurt

tests.  I also argued for cytomel which helps with T3 that converts to T4.  I've had to argue that what may be considered the 'normal' range wasn't 'normal' for me.  I'm also third generation documented with hypothyroidism, my mother and her mother.

•  Me, too. That's exactly what my doctor (2+ / 0-)
          nchristine, DawnN

recommends. Cytomel, armor thyroid, test the T3/T4. It took about five doctors for me to find a good one who did that.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 05:24:23 PM PST

•  Same here (2+ / 0-)
          nchristine, DawnN

they go by the numbers, in spite of what might be going on in the rest of your body.

•  I recently had a test of (0+ / 0-)

tsh and free t4. the free t4 was normal, but the tsh was a little high. Not sure what that means. I don't think hypothyroidism runs in my family. My dad takes synthroid (or used to, not sure if he takes something else now), but he has no thyroid due to cancer.

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 10:43:42 PM PST

•  It means you really need to have it monitored (0+ / 0-)

on a regular basis.  You are most likely in a transition.

•  This is the first time I've (0+ / 0-)

seen the actual numbers, I think. I would be upset to learn that, after more than thirty years of dealing with depression, numerous medications, tens of thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours of treatment, the problem turned out to be a result of thyroid problems after all, despite the doctors telling me the tests were negative. But if the treatment turned out to be more effective, then it would be a good thing.

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 07:06:18 AM PST

•  Can you recall what the numbers were?? (0+ / 0-)

If it was anything above a 4.5 you're hypo and need supplemental thyroid hormone.  I've read where some doctors think that anything above a 1.5 is in need of treatment.

Now, having a bad thyroid will make one more susceptible to illness such as depression.  They go hand in hand - often if you have thyroid issues, you most likely have depression issues, but it generally doesn't go the other way.

•  my level was higher than that, (0+ / 0-)

but my doctor didn't think it necessarily indicated hypothyroidism, given the normal free T4 level, and given other factors. I will have it checked again, though.

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 11:24:11 AM PST

•  Given that cancer of the thyroid is in the (0+ / 0-)

immediate family and your number was above 4.5 - definitely have it checked again.  If your GP won't do anything about an above 'normal' tsh, ask to be referred to and endocronologist (spelling is way off.....).  You, at least, need to be monitored at least yearly.  If for nothing else than family history.

•  the thyroid cancer was most likely due to (0+ / 0-)

radiation exposure. There's no indication that I'm at an increased risk genetically.

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 06:46:18 PM PST

•  My doctor hates synthroid. (3+ / 0-)
        nchristine, DawnN, Oh Mary Oh

There are good generics available for next to nothing. Levithroid. Levothyrene. And armor thyroid.
        If your doctor argues they're all supposed to be the same and wants to give you synthroid anyway, say, "If they're all the same, I'll take something other than synthroid."

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 05:25:40 PM PST

•  When my life/behavioral coach (1+ / 0-)
      Oh Mary Oh

had this happen to her, she said she finally understood better what many of her patients go through (she's also a psychiatric nurse).

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 10:34:27 PM PST