View Diary: Victims Do Not Survive (23 comments)

•  I think it means... (1+ / 0-)
    mahakali overdrive

...that, like most other commenters on  here, the diarist has a particular perspective, which she is setting aside in favor of the universal.

If this comes to an end before there are too many more victims, it will be because people who have far, far more pronounced perspectives than the diarist's manage to sit down and talk.

We should do so well.

...j'ai découvert que tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos dans une chambre.

by jessical on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 06:56:42 PM PST

•  Your interpretation is generous . (1+ / 0-)
      misslegalbeagle

Who are the "blind supporters" ?
      Why do they "salivate like Pavlov's dogs" ?

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:07:37 PM PST

•  For me (6+ / 0-)

The diary was defined by the letter, as mediation on war.

It isn't anything that you can't hear all over the world.  You can even hear it in the comment threads of diaries next door to this one.  I really liked the letter and the sharing of it, it carried the cold complicated jolt of history in it.

I also want to say that over six years on DK, a lot of people have stood up for me and been nice to me and put up with the bumps in my essays and perspectives.   And yes, this is the wild wild west and only the mindful and rhetorically aware survive and all that.  But the sense I've gotten from this diary and the few others I've read by this diarist is that there is some real care and effort here, and it doesn't feel like polemic.  I get that there are some views that are very different than my own.  I also get that part of what we do here is learn how to have alliances with people whose stories and perspectives are very different from my own.

Mileage varies.

by jessical on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:24:23 PM PST

•  You didn't answer my question , you danced . (0+ / 0-)

If you have to dance , maybe you should have another look .

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:28:46 PM PST

•  Well (2+ / 0-)
            Mentatmark, gramofsam1

There's a logic to me in seeing images of civilians in war, thinking immediately of the ways one's family has experienced war, and sharing that.  That held up for me, no dancing required.

I think the bias you cite could be fairly addressed.   In the place it occurred and per the words used.  And heck, it's DK, maybe it's all polemic and you're all really squirrels and I will never know.  But I took it at face value, good and bad.

by jessical on Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 07:54:12 PM PST

•  Once agin ... (1+ / 0-)
              misslegalbeagle
              ...and the blind supporters who salivate like Pavlov's dogs when the dinner bell about Israel rings for thier treat

Who are the blind supporters ?
              What are they salivating about ?
              What is the dinner bell ?
              What is the treat ?