View Diary: Let's Show a Little Solidarity for Workers, No Shopping on Thanksgiving! (208 comments)

•  See, I'm conflicted about Christmas and Sundays (4+ / 0-)

(someone above mentioned Sundays).  I live near places that have Blue Laws, so most stores are closed on Sundays.  But if you're not religious, like my husband and I, that takes away one of our 2 convenient shopping days - we both work late during the week so unless stores are open until 10 or later, it's tough for us to do shopping on weekdays.  I can understand some people wanting Sunday off, but on the other hand, if you're not religious or don't have kids, it seems like a waste of a day.

Christmas I get conflicted about as well.  My husband is atheist; I'm agnostic at best.  If it weren't for having Christian extended family that celebrates the holiday, we wouldn't at all.  Since it is mostly a Christian holiday, I can understand people of other religions (or non-religious) wanting services to be available.  It kind of sucks that you're forced to have a day where you can't do anything because everything is closed even though you're not celebrating anything.   Sort of like Easter - we don't celebrate Easter at all, yet if places are open it's on a reduced schedule usually.

But Thanksgiving I am unconflicted about - it's a national, secular holiday.  No reason anyone other than essential services (medical, etc.) need to be working.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
    I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 09:31:39 AM PST

•  Trust me, I'm not a christian (2+ / 0-)
      Avilyn, JayRaye

but I'm a hard worker who does deserve one day off during the holidays.   Ever woirked in a store Thanksgiving to Xmas?  It's long hours and hard work.  Two days off is all we are asking.

I can't buy hard liquor here on Sundays so I plan.  My job doesn't have banking hours.  So I plan.  Most of my banking is done online now.  Before the holidays I plan to gas up my car.  Buy extra butter and spices.  I plan ahead.

I don't expect others to cater to my needs - religious or otherwise.

I'm not sure where your conflict is?  You can't shop on certain days(?) I don't know of any town where all the stores are closed on Sunday.  Sounds like an area that doesn't allow dancing or drinking either :)

Americans see shopping as an "activity".  I just don't get it.  I like to go for walks, kayak, play games with my kids.

Hmmm My family volunteers a lot of their time instead of out bustin doors.

Hope you find something to do.  :)

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 09:38:48 AM PST

•  Well, (1+ / 0-)
        doc2

I'm not a big fan of shopping, unless it's online, or a
        bookstore.  :-)  And I do plan ahead as much as possible with groceries and such.  But I'm saying I understand why places like movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. would want to stay open on Christmas, since that's a Christian holiday.  I would be opposed to forcing anyone to work it who wants to celebrate with their family, but for the non-Christians who don't celebrate it, I don't see why we should be forced to sit at home with no options
        because everything is closed.  So I'm conflicted because on the one hand I don't think employees should be forced to work it, but on the other hand, I like having
        options and places open for my convenience.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
        I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 09:47:53 AM PST

•  forced to work (2+ / 0-)
          Avilyn, JayRaye

is much worse than sitting at home on Christmas.

You have numerous options.

Nature.  And it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and almost always is open.

I a sure you can get by without bowling, going to the gym, watching a movie on a widely accepted holiday such as Tday and xmas.

Or you could even volunteer at a soup kitchen.

I know of a great Thai diner that is open year round. :)

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 09:58:46 AM PST

•  The problem I have is that (1+ / 0-)
            Damnit Janet

it's a Christian holiday, and this is not a Christian
            nation. There is no national religion.  I don't see
            why one religion's holidays should be given
            preference over anothers.  What about
            everywhere closing for Yom Kippur, or Diwali?
            It doesn't seem fair to favor one particular
            religious holiday over others.  That said, I don't
            think anyone should be forced to work it - if
            it is a holiday they celebrate, they should be
            able to take off without reprecussion.

And I'm only talking about the religious holidays
            here (Xmas, Easter, etc) - not Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is a national, secular holiday and I
            agree no one should have to work it.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
            I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26:03 AM PST

•  Ahhh. I see. (3+ / 0-)
              Avilyn, nicolemm, ladybug53

I don't view xmas as a religious holiday.  :)  I can't connect the dots when it comes to christian holidays and their tradition.  Santa Claus? Easter Bunny?  Who are they kidding? LOL

I see Christmas as more of a surviving the winter.  Feasting and resting from hard work.  Celebrating the bounty and sharing it.

But we don't volunteer just this time of year.  We do it all year long.  My family is anti-war and anti-hunger.  Both could be ended today if we had the will to do it.

For many of us low income workers xmas and tday are just two breathers from a hard season.

America really doesn't do "holidays" religious or not.  It's all just about consuming.  A part of the machine that spits us all out.  Religious or otherwise.

Peace :)