View Diary: Top Comments: President Museveni's outrageous hypocrisy Edition (91 comments)

•  After reading your reply I figured that as well. (8+ / 0-)

My first pass, especially since I didn't know the secret behind Top Mojo, was that no one sent it to TC.  I never realized people cared so much about be listed in Top Mojo.

I know I believe every one of my comments should be submitted as a Top Comment, but Top Mojo is a popularity contest I could care less about winning. ;) /snarkiness

I must end each and every day with a dose of a regularly scheduled Top Comments. A regularly scheduled Top Comments diary is a must for developing the calmness I need to get the required eight hours of sleep. - cohenzee

by cohenzee on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:27:17 PM PST

•  And, if you notice, the reply to my reply, tonight (7+ / 0-)

indicates the comment was intended as snark to begin with. In fairness to myself, I suspected as much, thus the over-emphasized politeness. You can never go wrong OVER-respecting someone. ::wink::

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's CREATION." _ Jonathan Larson, RENT -9.25, -8.82

by BeninSC on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:33:11 PM PST

•  It was badly done snark (6+ / 0-)

Anything that says it's snark that has ad hominem references in it almost disqualifies itself, and yes, I read the entire thread. Incidentally, what happens to him happens to me a lot, because some of my most responded to comments happen at 10 Eastern and accumulate over two days. I used to worry about that but I did it using kosmail, not public snark, and jotter was very patient in explaining it.

Sorry, but that's my read on it.

-7.75, -8.10; All it takes is security in your own civil rights to make you complacent.

by Dave in Northridge on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:41:03 PM PST

•  Dave, that's how I read it originally (5+ / 0-)

which is why I really wanted to reply to it.  I am glad I didn't because I didn't know he was referring to Top Mojo.  I would have major egg on my face rebutting something that was not being argued.

by cohenzee on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:54:05 PM PST

•  I missed the reply to your reply. (6+ / 0-)

Just read it now.  Glad to see no hard feeling on either side :)

I am still getting used to all the nuances here at DKos.

by cohenzee on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:44:46 PM PST

•  Can never go wrong OVER-respecting? (7+ / 0-)

I had that go wrong a couple weeks ago. Someone took LOUD exception to something in one of my Daily Bucket diaries (srsly???) and made a disparaging remark about all us being... I don't remember the nasty phrase. Apparently they thought they were being funny.

I responded by saying politely I hoped they were joking, and if they were not, to please not come back.

And the person jumped all over me for not having a sense of humor. And this time they were not trying to be funny. They were serious.

I LOVE that, the old "it's your fault you're offended because you have no sense of humor" defense.

UGH

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. ~ Mother Teresa

by Melanie in IA on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:53:36 PM PST

•  Much like the always inapropriate (4+ / 0-)

I am sorry your were offended by my comment nonpology. :P

by cohenzee on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:10:04 PM PST

•  You can rarely go wrong over-respecting ... (3+ / 0-)

Happy to edit! ::smile::

by BeninSC on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 09:33:28 PM PST

•  Well, actually, (1+ / 0-)
            BeninSC

you were probably right in the first place. I think my response was good. But the return was not -- to the commentor, my very earnestness was proof of my lack of sense of humor. Well, sure. Cuz I didn't think it was funny.

Still it would have been wrong to knock them around, so still respect was the right thing.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. ~ Mother Teresa

by Melanie in IA on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 05:03:19 AM PST

•  I can respect that perspective. (1+ / 0-)
              Melanie in IA

I do find myself wishing that more people realized that respect begins with SELF-respect. Ends there, too, really.

I've said this before, but many years ago now I read a posting which said:

An argument with an idiot always involves two idiots.
              Not the slightest clue who originated that, but I always resolved to not be one of the idiots.

I had to laugh. My sister has a dog that is very bad about barking at everything. I got frustrated at the unending ruckus one day and yelled at the dog to shut up! But, of course, though it may be possible to bully a dog into being quiet, one can't 'win' an argument with a dog. and it doesn't reflect well on us to even try. (I was being an idiot. ::wink:: ) But after reflecting on it and laughing about it, I've done much better, since. ::smile::

Respect, for me, is a path. One I'm still exploring, and not casually. One where I'm still learning. And I have many teachers! You are one of those, and I thank you for that. (There are many, for me, in this TC community. A major reason I'm here.)

by BeninSC on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:06:59 PM PST

•  Oh dear Ben... (1+ / 0-)
                BeninSC

It is late, and I get tired and sometimes weepy, and this isn't good... Thank you for your unending teaching. Know that I am always always glad to see you here.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. ~ Mother Teresa