View Diary: Mitt Romney close to 47% of the vote (134 comments)

•  We are very large -- and yet we only have (12+ / 0-)

58 counties.  The largest, LA, is roughly the population of Michigan.  Mine, tied for 2nd largest, is roughly the population of Iowa.  Cut us some slack.

Plaintiffs' Employment Law Attorney (harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, wage & hour, &c.) in North Orange County, CA.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
    -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 03:19:59 PM PST

•  I don't think that should matter, though... (2+ / 0-)
      Rich in PA, Eyesbright

...state conglomerates the size of California have their votes counted and certified, yes? And the counting is still done precinct-level, right? It's not a big deal, but thank goodness California isn't a swing state or Florida would pale in comparison, it looks like.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 03:22:55 PM PST

•  My admiration for election clerks has gone up (8+ / 0-)

after observing an election in my state. It is really a lot of detailed work and organizing all pushed into a short amount of time. The sheer numbers of votes are astounding, really.

•  Huge turnout in my California county (1+ / 0-)
      Seneca Doane

There are 1100 precincts in my county in California, with 810,836 registered voters.
      We had 74.3% turnout (602,479 votes).

Voted by mail: 41.12% (333,449)
      Voted at the polls:  33.18% (269,030)

Lots of people, including me, turn in our "vote by mail" ballot at the poll on the day of the election.  Those had to be counted after the polls closed.  That makes me feel a little guilty but I want to hear every last bit of news and campaigning before I vote.  Like many of us, I signed up long ago to be "permanent vote by mail."  It means I can go over everything on the ballot thoroughly.  With so many ballot initiatives, state and local, that's important.

Incidentally, Obama rec'd 78.69%
      Romney rec'd 18.12%
      Assorted third party and write-ins totalled 3.19%.

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. -Abraham Lincoln

by Eyesbright on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 04:31:26 PM PST

•  Voting permanent absentee is a blessing (1+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright

for parties trying to turn out voters on election day -- we know that we don't have to call you!

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 05:59:51 PM PST

•  Hey Seneca Doane--Congratulations on (2+ / 0-)
      Seneca Doane, Orlaine

getting almost 45%  in your State Senate race. That was quite a bit better than I expected.  OC is not as red as its reputation would lead one to believe. Your county gave us the two-thirds in the Assembly with the victory of Sharon Quirk-Silva in AD-65.  Yay Orange County!

Diehard Swingnut, disgruntled Democrat, age 54, new CA-30

by Zack from the SFV on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 05:08:22 PM PST

•  I expected maybe 41.5%; 45% was the max (2+ / 0-)
        Zack from the SFV, Orlaine

The important thing was: I got my message out and I helped to mobilize voters for candidates including Sharon and (it looks likely) the deciding candidate for Fullerton City Council.  That was some satisfying activism!

We now have most of the vote in the area between the 5 and 405 freeways, plus up into Fullerton and north Anaheim and down to Laguna Beach and Aliso Viejo.  As we develop our "farm team," we'll do better and better.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 06:04:42 PM PST

•  Just saying (0+ / 0-)

Germany has about twice the population of California and at least since the late 80s all votes are usually counted 3-4 hours after the polls close

The certified results take about 2-3 days and the difference to the first count is in the range of 0.1% or 0.2% for each party.

The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who never viewed the world - Alexander von Humboldt

by germanliberal on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 01:33:56 AM PST

•  Well, that's just German efficiency (0+ / 0-)

Haven't you heard that we're laid back?

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:32:38 PM PST

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
          Seneca Doane

I actually pretty much despise our "efficiancy" and really envy you for your laid back lifestyle. I just find it strange that the (supposedly) most advanced nation in the world needs weeks to count its election votes while all other developed countries easily manage it to do it in a few days. And some of those  (Australia, New Zealand, the Skandinavian countries) are even as laid baick as California.

by germanliberal on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 11:49:03 PM PST