View Diary: BREAKING: Mitt Romney crashes back to Earth (345 comments)

•  He's ashamed ... (27+ / 0-)

and I mean that in psychological terms. He feels shamed by the public. He didn't measure up. He wasn't good enough.

All through the election I saw that aspect of his personality. A person with deep, internalized shame (from childhood) who projects that out onto others through humiliation, one-ups-manship, mean comments disguised as humor.

Romney is man who has spent a lifetime feeling judged then projecting those judgements onto others. It explains his hyper-achievement (need to overcome the internalized shame) and utter disdain for those who haven't achieved what he has (projection).

He must be hell to live with now. For Romney it will be too painful to do the deep work necessary to change. Those most dependent on him are going to get the brunt of this because they are the only ones safe enough to dump on.

"Let us not look back to the past with anger, nor towards the future with fear, but look around with awareness." James Thurber

by annan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 06:34:32 AM PST

•  "How will I ever show my face in church again?" (4+ / 0-)
      annan, happymisanthropy, ColoTim, Orlaine

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 07:12:11 AM PST

•  especially when he has never lost before (12+ / 0-)

Miss Ann said "This man does not fail."

Except this time he did.

It is probably the first time in his life that he wanted something he could not get.  He could not buy it, he could not persuade people to give it to him, his powerful friends could not wangle it for him.

Maybe he will get rid of the house in Lake Winnepesaukee, NH and the house in Belmont, Massachusetts since he no longer needs to be associated with any New England states anymore!

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."
      Four More Years! How sweet it is!!!

by TrueBlueMajority on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 07:13:02 AM PST

•  You just described my boss. Thanks. (3+ / 0-)
    •  Well said. (1+ / 0-)
      annan

Are you familiar with the Enneagram?  What you're describing sounds similar to the description of Enneagram Type 3, the "Achiever" or "Performer."

•  Positive Intelligence (0+ / 0-)

Yes, I am familiar with the Enneagram and I agree.

However, Romney also demonstrates the PQ (Positive Intelligence) traits of the Hyper-Achieving Sabateur who beats up on self and others when active. PQ is based upon Positive Psychology and the assessments on the linked websites are free. It's fascinating.

by annan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 11:39:57 AM PST

•  All just psychobabble (EOM) (0+ / 0-)
        •  Thank you for the link. (1+ / 0-)
          annan

I took the brief test and noticed that the 9 Saboteurs under the Judge corresponded perfectly with the 9 Enneagram Types.  The Hyper-Achieving Saboteur sounded like a profile of an unhealthy Enneagram Type 3, which would fit with your assessment of Romney.  I think your analysis is insightful and correct.  My partner and I have wondered for some time whether Romney was Type 7 or Type 3.  The Type 3 angle is more convincing now I believe.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts and may you have a good morning.

•  You're welcome! (0+ / 0-)

Glad you made that connection to the Enneagram.

In his book the author states that the PQ is a blend of several well researched personality typing systems. I'm familiar with most of them and the PQ is clearly the most accessible for the average person.

The PQ gives you insight and tools to overcome what's holding you back. Most of the other systems take years of study, require an academic understanding of personality and are expensive because the assessments are proprietary.

Chamine has been coaching business executives for years and his book Positive Intelligence came out in 2012. I love to tell people about it!

by annan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:53:44 AM PST

•  Keep spreading the word. (1+ / 0-)
              annan

I was first introduced to personality tests in an Interviewing & Counseling class where one session was dedicated to MBTI.  A few years later, a friend of mine recommended the Enneagram.

I'm partial to the Enneagram now as I find it more holistic and have been amazed to see the connections between one's inborn type and the way it manifests in body language and even anatomy.  I can't help but notice the similarities between the design of the feeling triad and "left-wing" ideology while the right-wing worldview aligns so naturally with the descriptions of Enneagram Type 6 and Type 8.  I'd love to study the connections in greater depth one day.  Have you noticed anything similar?

•  I had to save that (1+ / 0-)
      annan

what you wrote just there. Because it perfectly describes my insane (and of course rabidly GOP) mother-in-law.

Thank you. Er... I think? ;)

Energy, Budget Tax cuts, Lift American Spirits