View Diary: President Obama to engage grassroots supporters to pressure Congress (228 comments)

•  Given the amazing campaign in 2008, I was (22+ / 0-)

shocked that they seemed so inept at mobilizing support for their legislative agenda.  We still have to fight the president's quest for a Grand Bargain.  "Don't listen to The Villagers, Mr. President!!"

Rmoney & The Republicans - We've should've killed GM, not bin Laden.

by filby on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 09:41:03 AM PST

•  Maybe they thought after being trained as (24+ / 0-)

community organizers, after working on the campaign, after understanding this was going to be very hard work and take all of us, maybe just maybe we would step up on our own. Didn't happen. We need to be applying pressure to Congress now and not let up. President knows what he needs to do and he needs us to have his back.

The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die. ~ Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:17:29 AM PST

•  ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ /nt (9+ / 0-)

Handmade holiday gifts from Jan4insight on Zibbet. Get 10%off everytime with coupon code KOSSACK.

by jan4insight on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:18:58 AM PST

•  Then they didn't do a (3+ / 0-)

very good job of organizing their community, did they? The "all of us" did our part--by voting for Dems in '08--but the Dems did not do theirs convincingly enough to keep that coalition voting in '10. This is a sign that they recognize their error from back then.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:47:01 AM PST

•  I only know from my own experience with OFA (8+ / 0-)

the problems on this site with bashing OFA and the President. I think more than anything it is because people really believed their vote was the end of their responsibility. So many people didn't hear the hard work part, or the all of us working together part. This time people have started waking up to the undeniable fact democracy takes involvement to work.

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:55:03 AM PST

•  Expecting more than that from people (1+ / 0-)
            slinkerwink

working full-time jobs+ is unrealistic. Sure, some are able to volunteer, but nowhere near enough to do this job. Blaming the rest of us for being lazy (which is what your language appears to do) is wrongheaded and tone deaf, to put it mildly. If Dem leaders will only work on our behalf--their jobs, in other words--if they see extraordinary efforts from those who aren't being paid, then they are the ones being lazy.

by bryduck on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 11:03:33 AM PST

•  I just recently retired and I made time to be (0+ / 0-)

active. It doesn't take much time to send an email or send a fax. It takes even less time to not pile on the President when things don't go exactly as you want. It is our country, we are the ones with the vested interest not just the leaders of the Dem party. We get the government we are willing to work for. When I think of all the energy that was wasted right here bitching and moaning and bashing that should have been channeled productively I could just cry. And BTW, we are paid in so much as we get the benefits of the government we fight for.

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 11:54:21 AM PST

•  Let's see: (0+ / 0-)

am I supposed to take time away from my job, my commute, or my 3 year old son to "be active"? That you were able to do it is great, and I thank you. Assuming we all are similarly able and concluding that if we aren't we deserve to lose our rights and our basic democracy? Condescending and/or just plain ignorant.
                And if you think "things" came anywhere close to what I want, let alone "exactly", you don't have a clue what I want for us all.

by bryduck on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 02:20:01 PM PST

•  Like I said an email takes virtually no time (0+ / 0-)

Time to be on KOS and reply to me so it isn't a matter of time it is a matter of priories.

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 03:51:24 PM PST

•  That's assuming two things: (0+ / 0-)

1) I didn't send emails (I did, and I bet nearly everyone you are bitching about did, too.)
                    2) Emails are useful, and I doubt that they are. It's just as easy to delete emails as send them, and far easier than writing them. It's better than nothing, I would imagine, but little more than that, especially if they are form emails, which is what you are talking about.

by bryduck on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:56:18 AM PST

•  Only (2+ / 0-)
            Words In Action, chuckvw
            Only OFA believed that.

It's been a hundred years, isn't it time we stopped blaming Captain Smith for sinking the Titanic?

by happymisanthropy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:03:30 PM PST

•  I see the OFA bashing hasn't stopped (0+ / 0-)

This country belongs to US, you and me, it is OUR responsibility

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:23:03 PM PST

•  I tried to fill out OFA's survey (1+ / 0-)
                Words In Action

they wouldn't let me answer without giving them my birth date.  Fuck 'em.

by happymisanthropy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:28:17 PM PST

•  Gosh, that is terrible! How could they? Suppose (0+ / 0-)

the demographics are useful to them? So you cut off your nose to spite your face? Whatever

by cherie clark on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 12:40:49 PM PST

•  what makes them think (0+ / 0-)

they're entitled to useful demographic information?  This bullshit is just like fucking Tom Harkin sending around an impeachment petition just to build his mailing list.

If they want demographic information they can ask for my approximate age, not my precise date of birth.

If they want my support, they can ask for it.  As long as they're phishing for personal data under the fig leaf of giving a shit what I think, they can pound sand up their asses.

So you cut off your nose to spite your face?
                    Because everything is a binary decision to you.  I knocked on doors for them before the election, but if I'm criticizing their nest-feathering and duplicity I immediately become the enemy.

Cut off my nose?  Seriously?  I made the decision that Obama was the lesser evil, and I voted accordingly.  That's not cutting off my nose.

So you cut off your nose to spite your face?
                    You're such a perfect face for OFA.
                    Do things our way, we don't give a shit what your opinions are, we'll mock your objections and call you "fucking retarded," and when things don't work out we'll blame everything on your obstinance and stupidity.

by happymisanthropy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 01:29:47 PM PST

•  Like anybody else has been better! (2+ / 0-)
      Deep Texan, spooks51

Come on! Who in the last 50 years has actually tried to mobilize public support for a legislative agenda?

Not voting is NOT an option this time around.

by AreDeutz on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:19:41 AM PST

•  I know a good number of Obama supporters (15+ / 0-)

had the wind taken out of their sails as soon as Obama started naming his cabinet...Geithner in particular rankled and worried lots of the grassroots folks I knew.

His lack of enthusiasm for using his position and Democratic  majorities to move for real change in policy (environmental, economic, and health care) caused many more to lose enthusiasm.

I worked with Move On to push for a robust public option, if he would not even stand up for single payer...I know many supporters wanted to support the President, but not at the cost of not supporting the causes they truly believed in....and hoped to see take effect. I knew he was hardly a progressive when I voted for him but his lack of real forceful use of his bully pulpit really was deflating...plus all the Blue Dogs undermining so much. I know he had a difficult position but still, I also saw the energy drain from so many dedicated supporters.

The constant call of "Bipartisanship" with the GOP seemed naive and wasted if well-intentioned energy at best. We were screaming from the grassroots that they will NEVER work with you ... it was frustrating to watch things unfold. And then the mid-term elections. :-(

I hope that the energy we felt at the convention, with the Democrats sounding like REAL democrats....with backbones!!!!...will energize not only Obama, but those of us on the ground to move for real reform.

AND SAVE SOCIAL SECURITY, MEDICARE AND MEDICAID.

"one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress" -- John Adams

by blue armadillo on Tue Nov 20, 2012 at 10:41:22 AM PST

•  There is a certain thinking (0+ / 0-)

amongst some on the left that there really was no genuine quest for a Grand Bargain, that it was mostly rhetorical to up his moderate bona fides for reelection and that now that he doesnt have to worry about that, the grand bargain talk with fade into the sunset.