View Diary: Like white on Rice: Republican critics say there's nothing racist in their digs (135 comments)

•  Yeah, exactly, but the attacks came (3+ / 0-)
    erush1345, SueDe, FiredUpInCA

full force.

Thus, the point being that the attacks against B. Obama, S. Rice, etc being racist in origin ring hollow - yeah, that might be an angle to rile up the neanderthal base (no offense to neanderthals, since we all share 8% of their DNA or whatever) but it's not the root problem.

•  They don't ring hollow to me. (6+ / 0-)

What, you expect a southern white man who is attacking a black woman to admit he's being racist?

"It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing made by men, and by God that's something we can change." John Steinbeck

by Snarky McAngus on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 02:26:41 PM PST

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
        FiredUpInCA

Any critique by a southern white is defacto racist? Talk about soft bigotry.

•  Not all criticism is racist. (8+ / 0-)

But most of the criticism of Rice made no sense whatsoever and one must wonder if racism is a factor.

•  Why? (1+ / 0-)
            FiredUpInCA

I think there is a lot to be known about Benghazi myself. And  they are partisan and using this as an issue of course.

However calling it racist just dilutes the legit definition.

•  It made me wonder because McCain used terms... (3+ / 0-)
              Neon Mama, PrahaPartizan, Patate

...historically employed to demean Blacks.  An apparent legacy admission to the USNA with his graduation rank calling a PhD-holding Rhodes scholar 'not bright'?  The president, the attorney general and now, Ambassador Rice, three of the highest ranking Americans of African descent, have all been attacked with the slimmest of justifications.

Failure to acknowledge racism where its exists can enable its aggressiveness and growth.

•  Sorry dude (0+ / 0-)

Calling someone Not bright isn't racism. No matter how much you want it to be. Silly? Sure. But I get ticked when people hurl that serious charge when it isn't warranted.

Seriously...

•  I empathize with your experience. (3+ / 0-)
                  Patate, sethtriggs, Snarky McAngus

I would imagine having come face to face with racism can make one especially sensitive to false claims just as a female victim of sexual assault might despise that person who makes a false claim of rape.  Nevertheless, the racial threads that were woven into the fabric of this administration and this election were and are such that the usage of historically demeaning terms when describing its principals should be closely examined and, where appropriate, called out.  We've got to call a spade by its actual name.

Why invest in education for Blacks?  From Plessy to Brown we were not bright enough to merit reasonable funding. Before then we were not bright enough to learn involved agricultural tasks and even now we are not bright enough to quarterback in the NFL.

Though the phrase 'not bright' can be and mostly is used in non-racial instances, it undoubtedly is occasionally used with negative racial connotations.  In this case I think it was.

•  I have never ever in my life (0+ / 0-)

heard hat phrase used in racial connotation. Ever. Sorry but I'll bet 90% of people haven't either. My point is that with nothing but "my opinion" these politicians made a serious charge on the character of three people without any evidence. Just their "opinions". Its demeaning. And lets not forget they ARE politicians.

•  Sorry, (0+ / 0-)

but I don't think your individual experience is any more representative of 90% of the people any more than someone's generalization does.

by Snarky McAngus on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 09:47:53 AM PST

•  As I requested (0+ / 0-)

Of the diarist. How about a list of innocuous words that are actually racist. It's bs. And we all know it.

•  Words are neither racist nor nonracist (0+ / 0-)

without context.

"Chicken" is not a racist word, nor is it a nonracist word.  But if I use "chicken" to establish a negative stereotype, it must be within a context.

Another that comes to mind is "watermelon."  Or "lips" or "yellow."

Still sticking with your argument?

by Snarky McAngus on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 09:31:26 AM PST

•  yes (0+ / 0-)

what is the racist context of "incompetent"? "Not too bright"?

much worse has been said about many minority politicians but hue and cry resulted from those demogoging at this moment.

C'mon.

Look we can play this game all month but the bottom line is a few of politicians are trying to short-circuit criticism of Ambassador Rice by crying foul on the motives of her critics- ONLY because they say so. No other evidence or "context". Just because... I'll have none of it. Have been on both sides of that type of fight.

•  I pity the fool (0+ / 0-)

who calls a Rhodes Scholar and one of the most competent and qualified people in the country for the job they're talking about "not too bright."

by Snarky McAngus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 05:57:31 AM PST

•  I never said (0+ / 0-)

It was accurate. But it isn't racist.

•  In your opinion. (0+ / 0-)

by Snarky McAngus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 10:03:56 AM PST

•  By any sane rational :-) (0+ / 0-)

logic the term 'not too bright" has no racial connotation. Now, on the other hand if you could provide me with some actual examples of people saying that in a clearly racists manner I'll reconsider. But lacking that evidence I'll stick with what words actually mean rather than what (partisan) politicians say what they they think they mean.

And As Ive noted elsewhere if the ones hurling these racists accusations (here and in congress and the media) had actually defended another Rice when she was SoS and subject to actual racist slurs they would have a lot more weight with me. Alas they do not.

Cheers

•  That's not what I said (0+ / 0-)

I said "a southern white man who is attacking a black woman" which distinguishes between a particular and a generalization.

by Snarky McAngus on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 09:45:53 AM PST

•  They IMPEACHED Clinton fer Chrissakes! (3+ / 0-)

This tactic of the Republicans, constant racial dog whistles, never overt, is doing them no good.  Speculation about just how racist the Republican is or isn't just garners them negative attention.

But most of all, Republicans have been after Democrats since 1980 when Reagan was elected.  It makes no difference how "bipartisan" the Democrats have been (are you old enough to remember how the Democratic congress worked hand in glove with the Reagan administration?), the GOP has practiced vicious politics since the '80s.  It has become exponentially worse since 1994 when the GOP took over the House and elected Gingrich speaker.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 05:10:58 PM PST