View Diary: Democratic Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. resigning from Congress (165 comments)

•   It won't confirm prejudices around here. (4+ / 0-)

We have two very white former governors sitting in jail right now.  In Illinois, crooked politician trumps ethnic group every time.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:33:30 PM PST

•  I'm not sure you understand that (3+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14, liberalej, JGibson

when your typical conservative thinks of a "corrupt" Chicago politician, they think of a black person. It is racist. Time for you to get that.

20, Dude, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus! (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:36:42 PM PST

•  I am a typical conservative and I don't think that (2+ / 0-)
        nimh, MichaelNY

Maybe you don't know typical conservatives as well as you think you do.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:41:36 PM PST

•  Are you a President Obama hating Republican? (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

There is a difference, if your a conservative Democrat. Although not necessarily all the time. So lets be honest and not deny that sentiment is out there and widely held.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:45:56 PM PST

•  I don't belong to either party. (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

I was a Democrat 30 years ago, but that Democratic party was a very different animal.

I know some Obama haters, but they are not typical of the conservatives I know.

Unless you simply assume that disagreement = hate, in which case Obama haters probably are typical.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 12:52:44 PM PST

•  i submit that you are (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

not as typical as you think you are.

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 09:54:02 PM PST

•  The fact that I am on DK certainly means that (0+ / 0-)

I'm not typical of modern Americans.  I will grant you that much, but it has nothing to do with my political beliefs and everything to do with my conviction that enlightenment does not happen in an echo chamber.

The first problem, however, is this notion of a typical conservative.  If you want to eliminate most conservatives and define typical to mean only the group that meets your particular idea of what conservatives must be like, then, yeah, by definition, you're right.

I can, of course, do the same thing and define the typical progressive as a freedom-hating, white-male-hating, anti-religious bigot who doesn't care how many people and families he or she destroys so long as he or she is able to move carbon emissions from the US to China and pretend that progress has been made.

But I would bet that my typical progressive wouldn't fit very many people who consider themselves to be progressive.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 04:15:44 AM PST

•  That seems like trolling (0+ / 0-)

And I know you better than to think that you'd troll, so I'd call it polemical.

The very fact that you are on Daily Kos clearly demonstrates that you are highly atypical of conservatives, does it not?

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 05:04:34 AM PST

•  Only in the sense that conservatives are Americans (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

too, and we don't seem to like conversing with the "other" side any more than you guys do.

But I don't know if there is a typical conservative any more than there is a typical progressive, and the "typical" people refer is usually a cartoon assemblage of the worst and most extreme.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 08:33:18 AM PST

•  alright, I'll just say that (0+ / 0-)

I've encountered, whether personally or in the media or online, significantly more conservatives who display racist views than those who display anti-racist views. This could be because the anti-racists are less vocal, or it could be that many have views that are neither racist nor anti-racist, but I'm left with the subjective impression that most conservatives are racist. There are also racist liberals, but i don't see it as commonly.

by AaronInSanDiego on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 11:12:45 AM PST

•  Point taken. n/t (1+ / 0-)
                  dinotrac