View Diary: My Thanksgiving Menu. (96 comments)

•  Grilling the 'gus is delicious. (8+ / 0-)

I like to grill Brussels Sprouts, cut in half, in a similar way.

•  OOOoo, I Can Taste It Now! nt (5+ / 0-)

by Gooserock on Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 07:19:03 PM PST

•  I knew I forgot something (6+ / 0-)

I like to cut them in half and saute with bacon and garlic and lemon juice.  Not doing them this year because I forgot to get them at the store yesterday.  When I say Brussels Sprouts are my favorite vegetable I get dirty looks most of the time.

•  tips for baby brussels? (4+ / 0-)

Just got some - will not make for today, but Friday is a food day too.

•  Any such veggie (1+ / 0-)
          FightingRegistrar

I quick steam and try to feature their natural flavor.
          Add just a tiny bit of butter... a light dusting of a lemon-pepper or something to tingle a little sparkle.

Enagaged activism wins elections. 100 million words on liberal/progressive websites gets beat by one new GOP voter casting their vote.

by Nebraska68847Dem on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 01:39:22 PM PST

•  I like to roast them in the oven until browned (0+ / 0-)

and caramelized with bacon, golden raisins or dried cranberries, toasted walnuts or pecans, and tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette.  The recipe:

Toss cleaned, halved (if regular size), and dried brussels sprouts in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, just to coat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in a preheated 400 F oven for about 30 minutes, shaking the pan and turning over sprouts a couple of times while roasting to ensure even caramelization.  Cut up a few pieces of bacon into 1/4 inch pieces, cook until crisp, drain, and set aside.  Toast some walnuts or pecans in the oven at 350 F for about 10 minutes, chop coarsely.  Measure out some golden raisins or dried cranberries.  Prepare vinaigrette; mix 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 measuring tsp. dijon mustard, 2 measuring tsp. honey, 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (depends on how vinegary you like your vinaigrette), salt and pepper to taste.  When brussels sprouts are done, toss everything except vinaigrette together in a bowl and then toss with the vinaigrette to your taste; dress as you would a salad.  Don't drown it in the vinaigrette.  Leftover vinaigrette may be refrigerated for up to six weeks and used on salad, to cook fish or chicken.  This is delicious and has turned haters into lovers.  Happy holidays.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy -7.8., -6.6

by helpImdrowning on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 07:49:36 PM PST

•  The amounts in the above recipe depend upon how (0+ / 0-)

much you like each ingredient.  I use 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, 3 pieces of bacon, 1/3 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans and 1/3 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries.

by helpImdrowning on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 07:55:35 PM PST

•  Brussel sprouts don't get any respect. (3+ / 0-)

It's a shame, that.

I can see Canada from my house. No, really, I can.

by DuzT on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 05:25:21 AM PST

•  ooo - never thought of using bacon (3+ / 0-)
        thea lake, Portlaw, FightingRegistrar

altho I don't know why...love it

I usually cut my brussel sprouts in half, and then blanch them in boiling water for about 3 minutes, drain, and saute in a pan with butter and toasted pecans until they are starting to carmelize.

yummmmm

but bacon - I'm gonna try that next time

•  Weight Watchers Recipe: (2+ / 0-)
        Portlaw, FightingRegistrar

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
        (12 servings, 1 pt for 1/2 c from WW mag)
        4 t olive oil
        30 oz Brussels sprouts (trimmed and quartered)
        1 onion, chopped
        6 cloves garlic, sliced
        3/4 t salt
        1/4 t pepper
        1/2 c water
        2 t grated lemon zest

Heat oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, 5-6 minutes.  Reduce the heat and add onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.  Add salt, pepper and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes longer.  Drain and discard any remaining liquid.  Stir in lemon zest and serve at once.  [my kids are reluctant about Brussels sprouts but they BOTH loved these.

...Son, those Elephants always look out for themselves. If you happen to get a crumb or two from their policies, it's a complete coincidence. -Malharden's Dad

by slowbutsure on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 12:46:08 PM PST