View Diary: Radio Station Lays Off Entire Staff On The Day Before Thanksgiving (100 comments)

•  What's "right"? (5+ / 0-)

How would you have handled this?

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
    Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 03:38:26 PM PST

•  By firing them on Monday, for starters. (3+ / 0-)
      Joe Bob, JVolvo, PvtJarHead

Why not let them have a pleasant Thanksgiving weekend before axing their jobs at the most expensive time of year?

And, the problem is there is no "right" in the American business model anymore...which is very, very wrong.

Republicans...What a nice club...of liars, cheaters, adulterers, exaggerators, hypocrites and ignoramuses. Der Spiegel -6.62, -6.92

by CanyonWren on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 07:32:27 PM PST

•  News Flash: (4+ / 0-)

There never was "right" in the American business model. Apart from Frank Capra movies, twas ever thus.

And as for firing them on the following Monday "at the most expensive time of the year", what would the axed employees do about all the credit-card debt they'd racked up at the Black Friday sales? Our pay period ended Wednesday, and I'm betting Mid-West's pay period did the same, so it was "cleaner" to fire them when they did.

As Rip Torn said in Men in Black, "Sucks, huh?"

"If you're going to go down with the ship, make it a submarine." - Wayne Shorter

by Oliver Tiger on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 07:41:18 PM PST

•  Well, no shit. Why are you defending this? (3+ / 0-)
          Joe Bob, JVolvo, PvtJarHead

It's awful, heartless, and just a tad rude, even by American business standards.  End of story.

by CanyonWren on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 08:01:10 PM PST

•  And that would be true... (3+ / 0-)
            kurt, jakewaters, PvtJarHead

...if the communications industry worked within "normal" standards. It doesn't. Howard Hesseman said it in the pilot for WKRP, but it's true: "They all fire you sooner or later!" The romantic in me prefers Steve McQueen's line from Le Mans: "This is a professional blood sport, and it can happen to you. And then it can happen to you again!" It did for me: I got fired 3 times over 13 years, and twice I got fired with the rest of the staff, just like in this instance.

The thing is, if you're fired in radio, you're not seen as some horrible pariah, as you are in other "normal" industries -- you're just one of the gang! Everyone on this thread with industry experience is telling you this is SOP, the holiday aside, and I haven't seen any post from any of us that doesn't agree this sucks big-time. We're as shocked as you, but we're not surprised, and we're damn sure not defending it, so please don't ride your high horse over me.

by Oliver Tiger on Thu Nov 22, 2012 at 08:20:31 PM PST

•  Sad but its the cynical holiday music makes it all (2+ / 0-)
              PvtJarHead, Oliver Tiger

better approach that galls.'

Completely understandable- if they gave Sly and the newsroon 2 weeks notice that they would be dead meat on a stick the day before Thanksgiving that would not have brought them rave reviews either.

"I'll press your flesh, you dimwitted sumbitch! " -Pappy O'Daniel

by jakewaters on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 04:02:42 AM PST

•  Plus: (1+ / 0-)
                PvtJarHead

No matter what they threatened Sly with (up to and including holding his spouse, SO, or favorite pet at gunpoint), you know Sly would have said something about it on the air. No owner will let any employee do a Howard Beale, particularly in this age of Facebook and YouTube.

"Dead meat on a stick." I thought I was the only one who used that phrase. Recc'd! :)

by Oliver Tiger on Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 05:41:40 AM PST

•  For some poignant gallows humor about (1+ / 0-)
                  PvtJarHead

corporate de-jobbing read, "Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris who used DMOAS and dozens of other euphemisms to describe the wretched experience.

I am so thankful to have the job I have now- I had a prolonged stretch of underemployment (888 days to be exact but who was counting?) that ended on election day '04.  No, I didn't get elected and that was fine by me- got a FedEx'd job offer 3 hrs before the polls closed, made my last 50 GOTV calls all that much easier to do.

Nothing feels as shitty as having your world cut out from under you then again, nothing is as sweet as that first drive to work at the new job.

Corporate America has led a race to the bottom since the late 70's and any help we can give each other to raise folks up is all for the good.

My best part time gig during my underemployment was teaching math and Biology for a local Union's 'Training and Upgrading ' Fund.  My student's were all older black ladies who were going for CNA certification  and i was proud to do my part though i've never worked for a union for a day in my life.

"I'll press your flesh, you dimwitted sumbitch! " -Pappy O'Daniel