View Diary: Get over it, we won (258 comments)

•  A recent convert's perspective (4.00)
    ...I'm a former GOP moderate who "Migrated" during the Schiavo outrage. Allow me to offer my perspective.

I always considered myself a "Libertarian" Republican/ Constitutional Fundamentalist, rather than a theocrat. I don't think that my viewpoint was unique, particularly among the more educated/secular Republicans (the poor, South is NOT the "traditional" Republican base (as you well know- I'm not trying to talk down to you)).  Schiavo terrified me because it demonstrated how seperate the "Libertarian-Friendly" Republican rhetoric is from the reality of their practical politics. The "Nuclear Option" is another example of the lengths that the party will go to in order to promote its own adgenda over the traditional rule of law and the protections instilled for minorities (a concern to those of us in the "My Rights Stop at the End of My Fist Camp).

I think that the "deal" upsets the Theocrats too because, rather than viewing themselves as "Republicans" I think Dobson et. als. smugly believe that they have "bought" the Republican party, and that the Republican Party ought to be able to get them everything they want and deliver it with a smile. Like pouting toddlers, they are going to be FURIOUS that they didn't get this lollipop and looking for someone to blame.

As others have pointed out, this leave NO ONE in the GOP happy.

The Republicans who "crossed party lines" will upset their Theocrat base (if they have one- I've only skimmed the list, but it looked more likely to break "Libertarian" than "Theocrat" to me) but they've also taken a lot of ammo away from potential Dem challengers in the future. It's the Republicans who weren't part of the deal who are going to bleed.

•  welcome over (4.00)
      from one ex-moderate/libertarian republican to another. the republican party has betrayed the ideal of civil and individual liberties, and i hope my party, the democratic party, will continue to stand firm for these fundamental constitutional principles. i would be very happy to see the libertarian wing of the repiublican party win this civil war; i am not confident that they will, but i hope they do. it would be great to get back to having honest political debates again without the threat of theocracy or unrestrained autocracy.

crimson gates reek with meat and wine/while on the streets, bones of the frozen dead -du fu (712-770)

by wu ming on Mon May 23, 2005 at 07:17:44 PM PDT

•  Welcome (4.00)
      and thanks for your perspective. This really is a win for the United States of America. I hope you see it that way, too.

Snowe & Collins are enabling the right wing junta

by Alna Dem on Mon May 23, 2005 at 07:18:07 PM PDT

•  ANOTHER moderate convert? Awww, man. (4.00)
      Oh, okayyy.

You can play.

But you have to bring the pie for a week.

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Mon May 23, 2005 at 07:31:18 PM PDT

•  Welcome (4.00)
      and make yourself comfortable. We believe in individual rights here.

As long as I count the votes, what are you going to do about it? - William Marcy Tweed

by sidnora on Mon May 23, 2005 at 07:44:46 PM PDT

•  Hididy Ho Convertireno (none)
      Glad to see the libertrain Republicans are waking up to what's going on. Hope to see you around :-)

Come see the house that Tom Delay built.

by Goldfish on Mon May 23, 2005 at 10:23:57 PM PDT

•  Good Observation (none)

Upon hearing the news of the agreement, my first thought was, now I have to pay attention to Mike DeWine and his challenger(s) in the future. If the Ohio Dems can't muster a decent candidate, I'll have to seriously consider whether DeWine deserves support - if a Republican has to hold the seat, I'd rather it be him than any of these other raving theocrats that are taking over Ohio.

Very astute observation, lexlawgirl. Welcome to the neighborhood.

•  A Dem in Texas (none)
        I face the same problem in Texas, where the Rethugs are going to win every race for the foreseeable future.  I'm thinking of changing registration simply so I can vote for the lesser of two evils.

A good case in point is the coming Governor's race here.  Many establishment Rethugs are putting enormous pressure on Kay Bailey Hutchinson not to challenge Rick Perry for the spot.  Perry's approval ratings are in the 40's and Hutchinson's are high.  Perry has done an abysmal job but that doesn't matter to the establishment.  Just give Perry a pass, screw the people of Texas -- who will elect a dead armadillo if it has (R) by its name.

I don't like Hutchinson, but I'm hopeful that she at least would be competent.

Boulanger

•  Welcome aboard (none)
      We hope to get some sanity back in the branches soon, and then to have some sane, balanced discussions between mutually respecting outlooks, on how to make things work for all our citizens.

"Think. It ain't illegal yet." - George Clinton