View Diary: Vanishing Waters..Scott is a monster and yet another reason for him to go ! (39 comments)

•  I was a land use planner (11+ / 0-)

In Charlotte county 96 then moved to Pasco county and was a planner for Regional impacts, back in 97.

I was reviewing a huge planned community and golf course development.

One moving during the earth digging stage all of a sudden within four hours we had 760 sinkholes appear. One was so large it swallowed a huge bull dozer.

Know what I was told to do by Pasco County Planning and Zoning? I was told to somehow 'cover it up from the "media'.

Right "LIE" to the media this didn't happen when helicopters were flying over taking pictures.

I didn't do anything the 'boss' told me to do. Instead I did my job, reviewed plans, got appropriate agencies involved to stop development in those areas. I could never have lived with myself had I "LIED" let the 'retirement' golf community get built,

I further went over boss's head discussed everything with the developer, who then redesigned the development with safety for future resident in mind.

I reported with happened to state government in Tallahassee, sold my house, packed up my car and drove home to Kentucky.

As I drove out of the state of Florida I felt like I was 'escaping" . I've never been sorry I know the developers were so thankful to me for helping them out, even though that 'boss' was not one bit impressed. I could care less, he was a hateful, uncaring nothing to me.

After I came back to Kentucky I've been a substitute teacher. After that experience I didn't want to do land use planning again. I also will say I've been quite happy as a substitute teacher :)

•  Wow! Good for you! nt (4+ / 0-)
      Vetwife, FloridaSNMOM, Wary, War on Error

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 07:22:32 PM PST

•  What a story !!!! (2+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, Wary

There is so much we don't know !

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 12:14:14 AM PST

•  Maybe you can help me with a couple of (2+ / 0-)
      Wary, Vetwife

stories about what I think are criminal land uses here in Salt Lake county.

Check out this 4 square mile, maybe 100 high sand/gravel excavating operation at the entrance to Salt Lake County, home of 500,000 people.  We have the worst particulate count in our air in the country.

Houses are being built adjacent to this behemoth IN THE MIDDLE OF HOUSING TRACTS.

Clearing the air: That air you're breathing may be slowly killing you

From our asshat Governor (another ALEC, Scott-like heartless duffass clone)

The Governor proposed an array of ideas to help reduce air pollution along the Wasatch Front that were, by and large, directed at individual citizens.

Arrgh.  10% of Utah population has asthma.  Oh, could it be the 4 square mile silica, sand excavation on the south end of Salt Lake County, and the humongus Rio Tinto Copper mine to the west, the fact that most parents have to drive their kids to and from school, the unrestrained diesel fuel emissions and generally lacking, affordable public transportation?

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 02:40:18 PM PST

•  Thank you for posting those articles (2+ / 0-)
        Vetwife, War on Error

I had no idea what so ever Utah is in such a bad environmental bind! Utah is where most bad states were in the 70's 80's and have since cleaned.

Being surrounded by mountain ranges traps all of those adverse effects.

Indeed public transportation can help. It appears there are  proposals for some type of mitigation projects.

What is really needed is a 20 year growth, environmental comprehensive plan.

Utah needs many studies by teams of professionals to make the best recommendations on how to turn around the states bad practices before it gets worse. There are so many areas that should be and can be changed.

Good luck to you and Utah. However as climate change continues and accelerates time is very short to attempt to make needed changes.

•  I had no idea either but state government IMO (1+ / 0-)
          War on Error

cannot override federal government.   Peitition the
          state and then get the Health and Human services involved and send the petiition to the EPA in DC.  Keep at it until a lawsuit prevails on endangering your health.

by Vetwife on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 05:18:46 PM PST

•  I forgot to include the picture of this (1+ / 0-)
            Vetwife

sand/gravel excavation w/a cement plant on site.  The huge trucks are lined up 24/7 to haul this stuff away.  Diesel trucks, no less.

Here's the picture of this behemoth.  I measured it on Google Earth.  It is approximately 2 miles x 2 miles or 4 square miles

Notice the new housing that has been built adjacent to this polluter

4 Sq Mile Sand Pit, Salt Lake City, Utah

And the Governor is pretending pollution particulates are the result of residents activities, ignoring the two elephants in the room:  This behemoth excavation and the copper mine.

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 06:51:16 PM PST

•  I forgot to include a picture of this (0+ / 0-)

sand/gravel excavation w/a cement plant on site.

Notice the new housing that has been built adjacent to this polluter

4 Sq Mile Sand Pit, Salt Lake City, Utah

It's difficult to be happy knowing so many suffer. We must unite.

by War on Error on Sun Dec 02, 2012 at 06:48:58 PM PST