View Diary: What's Happenin'? Cliffs of Insanity Week 11.25.12 (46 comments)

•  Digby (12+ / 0-)

Your daily stupid.

So we had this old Cary Grant classic Room for One More on in the background this afternoon and I just heard Robert Osborne explain that after an earlier broadcast the network had been inundated by angry viewers demanding to know why they cut the word God from the pledge of allegiance in the movie. Apparently, these bozos didn't know that the movie was made two years before a bunch of McCarthyite Birchers insisted that the word be added in the 1950s. But hey, when people are angry about something stupid, I suppose there's no reason to assume they aren't dumb in a dozen different ways.

In order to allay another ignorant outburst, the channel went to great lengths this time to explain --- twice --- that they were just showing the movie as it was made and gently educate the fools out there that the word God in the Pledge of Allegiance isn't one of the Ten Commandments or written into the Bill of Rights. And then they begged people not to write in again. I guess it must have really caused a stir.

Pathetic.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street, pointing their plastic finger at me..

by BOHICA on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:05:30 AM PST

•  I'm glad she's coming around (5+ / 0-)

but she's off my daily reading list -- has been for months.  Enjoy the excerpts though.  Then I don't have to bother going to the site myself.

We'll see what she and her co-writer do when a deal is reached.  Will they find a way to apologize for it?

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:19:17 AM PST

•  Imagine there's no religion (7+ / 0-)

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:27:22 AM PST

•  Yo, it was 47 inside our slide in truck camper (6+ / 0-)

this morning so with you, propane would be great gift. Chaps my @ss that vets don't get more support.

We have winter clothes on and and I turned the truck to get passive solar and ran the on board heater.  Heating water for coffee also helps.

The heater fan drains the batteries down more rapidly than the solar panel can recharge them so have to use it sparingly.

Last year we were paddling and riding our bikes here at Wahweap campground on Lake Powell in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area near Page, AZ and we just gutted it, slept and dealt with the cold and both ended up under the weather after 9 days of it by the time we got back to Santa Fe.

The rest of the story is that part of the problem is using the on board batteries to charge phones and laptops.  This summer we took out the hot water heater and put in two high amp hour 6 volt batteries, charge controller, inverter and a roll up solar panel so that part is handled. Still need to install a switch and wiring so that those big batteries can supplement the on-board batteries so we could run the heater a little more.

Sad that we even thought our used old Craiglist special fiberglass camper has sandwiched foam insulation, it still only kept the inside temp at 47 when the outside was 38. Last year we actually had frost on the inside one morning. Ack.

IMO this is our challenge as a culture, retrofit,   insulate and site our dwellings better so that we can live less with fossil fuels.

by divineorder on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:50:43 AM PST

•  Yes, (5+ / 0-)

strongly agree about the challenge to retrofit, find ways to conserve and innovate.

You are so much closer to it all because of your wonderful adventures and chosen lifestyle.

I do what I can in keeping the thermostat down, reminding the kids to be aware, spending half my life turning off lights they leave on (it seems). But I'm nowhere near doing enough.

When the power goes out, our lives are turned upside down.  It scares me how dependent we are.  I would love to be doing more with solar but financially this is not possible right now.

BTW, I heard that the price of LED lightbulbs are coming down considerably but I haven't been to the store to check it out myself.  Has anybody noticed this or tried them out?  Last time I researched it, the bulbs were still about $25-30 each.  I am ready to switch to LED if possible.  CFLs are problematic in some cases.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:08:10 AM PST

•  ^ Oops comment was in reply to Bohica's below (4+ / 0-)

on Vets and Propane.

(Had not finished the longish tangential comment, was trying to upload a pic to photobucket and all of a sudden the free wi fi connection (which is hinky here in the campground) or  something caused my computer to shut down and restart!  But firefox reopened and lo and behold it had saved the longish comment and my cursing was for naught.  Still, the comment ended up in the wrong place, sorry.)

by divineorder on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 08:16:58 AM PST

•  Wow (2+ / 0-)
          joe shikspack, divineorder

that it impressive that the comment was still there!

If you're using Windows, that forced shutdown thing is brutal.  I don't even know on what intervals it happens -- seems random -- but it just takes control of  everything.  Not fond of it.

"Justice is a commodity"