View Diary: Behaving Like a Jew (187 comments)

•  Oh. An abstract "two state solution" at some (6+ / 0-)

future date that might happen in some fuzzy sort of way.

Palestinians have no right to self determination, but if every "Arab Country" will just establish diplomatic ties with Israel (occupied Golan Heights?  What occupied Golan Heights?) then maybe go ahead and say they will be allowed to have a state.  If they behave.

Not the actual recognition of two states.

See, the two are completely different things.

"the Agency continues to verify the non-diversion of declared material at these facilities and LOFs."

by JesseCW on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 01:35:28 AM PST

•  I think a "two-state solution" (4+ / 0-)

implies two actual states. Yes, that question was phrased in a conditional way. Nothing that says that a majority of Jews believe that "Palestinians have no right to self-determination". What do you think the percentage would be of non-Jewish Americans to the same question? (apart from the large percentage who would answer "don't care")

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 01:40:08 AM PST

•  There is a difference between paying (2+ / 0-)
        corvo, Smoh

lip service to supporting something at some fuzzy future date under some bizarre set of unrealistic conditions, and actually supporting something.

I don't suspect that there's any large difference between American Jews and Americans in general on this issue.  I'm not the one who brought the poll to the table.

A two state solution requires two states.  Those who claim one of those states only deserves recognition "if" don't actually support it at all.

by JesseCW on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 01:47:43 AM PST

•  I brought up the poll to show the (3+ / 0-)

evidence for the number that you questioned. I suspect that if they had framed the question to your satisfaction, the number would have been lower, as it has been in other surveys.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 01:56:02 AM PST

•  Setting aside all other issues - (3+ / 0-)
            sydneyluv, corvo, Smoh

You do understand the difference between "Do you support a two state solution"

and

"would you support a two state solution in this rather silly fantasy world we've concocted for purposes of this poll"

right?

I'm really not just talking semantics when I say that one cannot simultaneously argue that Palestinians are a people with a right to form a state in their own homeland....and argue that Israel and the US should deny them that right until they agree to a list of conditions.

My whole point was to point out the difference between supporting a Palestinian right to recognition of their State, and supporting efforts to extort Palestinians by denying them basic civil rights.

by JesseCW on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:03:31 AM PST

•  Supporting a Palestinian state (1+ / 0-)
              mithra

implies that the US and Israel should recognize that state when it is established. It doesn't necessarily imply that the Palestinians have the right to the recognition of their state before it is established. In order for it to be established, there has to be compromise, and there will be conditions.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:10:01 AM PST

•  It has been established. 2/3rds of the world (3+ / 0-)
                sb, corvo, Smoh

has recognized it.  It is currently occupied by Israel.

by JesseCW on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:12:52 AM PST

•  Recognition by (4+ / 0-)

a majority of countries is only part of what's necessary to establish an actual state. Israel has to end the occupation of the areas that will be part of the state, and there will need to be negotiation about at least some of the existing settlements, regardless of their legality, or lack thereof, in the first place.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:34:33 AM PST