View Diary: Why TeacherKen and Kristoff both Mis-Argued Their Point (38 comments)

•  Yes, it is useful (6+ / 0-)

but not in the context of teacherken's Diary, which had nothing to do with power generation except as a metaphor.

That is why I fail to understand this Diarist's approach.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 07:45:44 AM PST

•  my point, which was argumentative ... (1+ / 0-)
      debedb

(but that's a style here!) was simply that it is not a good metaphor and it clouds a really important point about the really complex nature of infrastructure renewal.  clouding the point with misleading metaphors is a problem.

Dirigiste vs Free Mkt -6.25/ Libertarian vs Authoritarian -4.72

by bob in ny on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 07:57:58 AM PST

•  We are going to disagree (5+ / 0-)

I thought the points raised by teacherken and Kristof argued well how wealthy folk respond to failing infrastructure, when the response we need is to repair the infrastructure.

In fact .... they both could have gone much further and discussed the growing band of "Preppers", which themselves describe the climate of fear and the lack of responsible governance.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 08:07:37 AM PST

•  I looked at some of the "Prepper" sites (1+ / 0-)
          twigg

That's really a different response than these generators, a wealthy family's toy, which is how I view the popularity of home generators in certain communities, the ones I think the authors were referring to.  The Prepper stuff is on the verge of being scary, like a bad movie.

Thank you for your comments.

Dirigiste vs Free Mkt -6.25/ Libertarian vs Authoritarian -4.72

by bob in ny on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 08:27:57 AM PST

•  Just extend the metaphor (0+ / 0-)

and not very far.

You quickly get from buying a generator to make up for the lack of infrastructure, to "prepping" for catastrophe when the infrastructure fails completely.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 09:40:40 AM PST

•  I think they were talking about the psychology of (3+ / 0-)
        misterwade, twigg, suesue

wealth more than they were the practicals of energy distribution.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 08:23:17 AM PST