View Diary: In 400 Days the Health Insurance Cliff will Kick In. For Real. (97 comments)

•  I don't have affordable health care NOW. It (15+ / 0-)

cost me close to $500 just to have my prescriptions renewed this past June.  This calendar year, that is the only doctor visit that I've had and that was for 15 minutes.  I have a job that basically doesn't provide medical insurance.  But, I'm paid the going rate for my profession.  I get cash and no benefits for my work.  And yes, of course, I'm still looking for a 'permanent' position that has benefits.

What am I to do if I get 'accidental' exposure to poinsettia in the next month???  I pretty much loose my voice for a week with only 4 hours exposure to the plant.  I'll notice something's off and leave the area, but still.... who's to say that the next exposure won't have worse consequences??

•  Should you choose to purchase insurance (8+ / 0-)

starting in 2014, based on what you're implying about your wages, you will likely find that the subsidies I'm talking about in this diary will pay for nearly all of the cost of your health insurance.

There's not much I or anyone here can help you with until then in terms of obtaining medical care.  There are federal health centers which might prove to be of some benefit to you.

•  No, I won't qualify for any subsidies according (4+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, annecros, Lujane, boudi08

to the chart you have up there in the body of the diary.  Unless you're talking about taxable income levels, then maybe.  My gross this year will be 70k +/-.

I don't mind paying a 'reasonable' price for medical care, but 15 minutes and a tsh blood test for $500 doesn't count as 'reasonable' in my way of thinking.  If I had been presented a bill of $150, I wouldn't have blinked twice at that.  But, then again, I'm the type of person who saves money, waits to find the right item at the right price - as in a kitchen table that'll last me the next 30 years.

•  If that's the case then your original statement (12+ / 0-)
          I'm 47 and basically have no hope of
          affordable medical care in my lifetime any longer.
          seems a bit hyperbolic.  In 2014 you will be able to purchase health insurance at no greater cost than anyone else your age.

Everyone agrees that the cost is still too high; we pay far more than other industrialized countries for our health care and it is reflected in our insurance premiums.  But still you should be able to purchase insurance for somewhere around $5000-$6000 / yr.

•  Actually, one option could be to pay (3+ / 0-)
          greengemini, jpmassar, RUNDOWN

routine costs out of pocket just the way you do for your car, but only use health insurance for catastrophic coverage. For some people, that's going to be a reasonable alternative. So, an unintended consequence of the ACA may be to push certain people into more limited coverage. And that may not be such a bad thing. The incurring of out of pocket expenses might do more to remind people of the costs of not taking care of their health better. Smokers, for example, are sick more often than non-smokers and incur more healthcare costs. If they bore more of that expense, it might induce them to quit. All this to say that our current efforts to reform a terrible system may leave us with a merely crappy one.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 10:43:44 AM PST

•  If we go there ... (1+ / 0-)
            jpmassar

don't forget alcohol, fast food, coffee, snack food, too much sun exposure, chronic speeding drivers  ..... you name it.

Not defending smokers, just pointing out the multitude of things that need to be "covered".

Single payer - with additional taxation on certain unhealthy items and activities, seems the best to me as well.

If not us ... who? If not here ... where? If not now ... when?

by RUNDOWN on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 12:02:51 PM PST

•  I am not. (1+ / 0-)
              jpmassar

Although a number of studies have shown caffeine to be an unalloyed good. Nevertheless, the point was that making individuals pay the cost of day-to-day maintenance of good health might make them a little more circumspect about puffing on tobacco or indulging in that extra donut.

by Anne Elk on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 12:20:53 PM PST

•  This is where a health care savings account might (2+ / 0-)
            jpmassar, HeyMikey

be a good alternative.

I don't have one so I don't know which plans are actually beneficial.  The idea of an account that disappears if you don't use it gives me hives.  But I would look into it if I were in your position.

Newt 2012. Sociopath, adulterer, hypocrite, Republican.

by tikkun on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 05:36:55 PM PST

•  My family reads like a Merck's Manual (3+ / 0-)
            jpmassar, splashy, madhaus

Lots of different types of cancer, lots of heart disease, including rheumatic fever.  Other diseases and disorders as well.  Yes, I am responsible for my behaviors.  I do not accept blame for my family's genetic dartboard.

I take hundreds of dollars worth of medication each month for crap I inherited.  Thank goodness I have insurance that pays for most of it.  If I did not have insurance (and that has been the case many times in my life), the "out of pocket costs" wouldn't change my behavior other than to go without medication, which would not be good.

•  Exactly (0+ / 0-)

Making people pay out of pocket is a losing proposition. How on earth are they supposed to know what is important?

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:02:21 AM PST

•  When people have to pay out of pocket (0+ / 0-)

They don't get the health care they need. That's been proven over and over again.

Just as with birth control, making them pay makes them put things off when they are easier to fix.

With birth control, if it's all free many women will opt for things like IUDs or implants, which work better since they don't have to think about them. Better birth control = fewer unwanted pregnancies = fewer abortions and better health because they aren't pregnant as often.

Going to the doctor whenever you suspect something = healthier people. Trying to figure out if this thing is something that needs to be tended to, and worrying about the cost, should not be done by people that have no idea what they are doing.

by splashy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:01:07 AM PST

•  the chart is adjusted gross income if you have (4+ / 0-)
          nchristine, jpmassar, gramofsam1, HeyMikey

deductions  you can make more.

If you meant that your gross sales are 70,000 you might qualify.

Brand new favorite RSS feed of Daily Kos Radio Podcasts http://kagrox.libsyn.com/rss
          Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

by We Won on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 11:08:30 AM PST

•  not sure what "basically doesn't provide" means (6+ / 0-)

most places do or they don't. I go to a community clinic for poor people. I have to pay full price but it's much better than the regular doctors I used to go to. They always tell me how to get things cheap. My drugs are the $4 a month kind at Walmart. Clinic was heavily subsidized via the ACA (thank you Senator Sanders) Doctors visit for prescription renewal is $80.

After ACA you won't need to look for work with bennies. Same price for insurance. If employer pays it only saves you the cash but you'd get lower pay. My state has already set up lots of the ACA. Same price for self employed or group plans. Insurance companies hate it.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 10:03:29 AM PST

•  I go to walmart/hyvee for the drugs and that's (2+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM, jpmassar

pretty cheap, for the most part.  The inhalers were $30 co-pay on the formulary.  Not sure what the full price is.

Volt technically offers a 'limited' benefit policy that allows for 9 doctor visits and 3 lab workups a year.  It allows for reimbursement of no more than $75 per visit (lab or doctor).  But, the clinics and hospitals do not recognize that as insurance and bill at non-insurance rates.  (You do realize that medical places charge different rates for different insurance providers/plans and don't have to honor any particular 'insurance' and bill 'accordingly'.)  The 'plan' allows for a payout of not more than 3k for emergency/catastrophic incidents.  Yes, I know that's supposed to change, maybe.