View Diary: My Generation Indicates the Liberal Future that Awaits Us (64 comments)

•  The same things were said back then. (5+ / 0-)

Didn't work out that way did it.

"The Global War on Terror is a justification for U.S. Imperialism. It must be stopped."

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 09:04:52 AM PST

•  Didn't it? (2+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt, johnel

that 60's generation when pretty heavily for Romney.  Baby boomers are hard to pin down.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 09:21:53 AM PST

•  Many of the hippie liberals were like many (5+ / 0-)

progressives today, they flow with the wind.  Antiwar one day, the next they support the drone wars.  Same thing only different.  The Native Americans used to call that a forked tongue.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 09:39:28 AM PST

•  time magazine (1+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt

turned hippiedom into a fad. it ran its course.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:32:08 AM PST

•  Excuse me? (1+ / 0-)
          Lawrence

Are you speaking about yourself or are you making an assumption about others?

•  I smoked joints rolled with giant Cheech and (3+ / 0-)
            allenjo, LaEscapee, poligirl

Chong rolling papers with some of them.  Then they cut their hair, got jobs with the man and started voting republican.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 01:28:21 PM PST

•  Ya know, I know a lot of hippies (0+ / 0-)

who are all grown up now. None of them are Republicans! Not a one. I think a ton of the hippies I know weren't that political in the first place, to be honest. I always say there were a few kinds of hippies: those in it for the politics, those in it for the free love, those in it for the music, those in it for the drugs, and those in it for the spiritual trip.

They overlap, obviously. But a lot of the old school hippies I know were honestly pretty apolitical to begin with other than saying they didn't like the war, etc.

So maybe the ones you're talking about, that I don't know, were just in it for the sex and music or something?

"Counsel woven into the fabric of real life is wisdom" - Walter Benjamin

by mahakali overdrive on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 05:39:43 PM PST

•  Yeah you never (2+ / 0-)
                poligirl, BigAlinWashSt

knew those still involved but I was raised by them so yeah I know a few. Denigrating the culture that re-introduced environmentalism peace and common sense into the conversation will never advance whatever cause you want to advance. Now don't get me wrong it will get the votes of those that "identify" as liberal but it won't progress the state of the nation at all.

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 08:03:34 PM PST

•  We don't usually talk but (0+ / 0-)

I am laughing when you say "you never knew those still involved."

You don't know who I am.

And right now, I'm glad given your confrontational allegation which is w-r-o-n-g.

Did I sleep in a tree for almost three years for nothing? Sigh... all of that millet. And the ashrams.

Well, what do I know? What could I know?! /snark

"Counsel woven into the fabric of real life is wisdom" - Walter Benjamin

by mahakali overdrive on Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 10:24:19 PM PST

•  Three years? (0+ / 0-)

Holy cow. That narrows it down to a pretty small crew.  My goodness...

by Mindful Nature on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 11:18:47 AM PST

•  Babyboomers (2+ / 0-)
        Deep Texan, Mindful Nature

Were and still are as divided as our Congress.  Take a look at Romney?  He is the 'poster boy' for the conservative babyboomer.  Then look at Bill Maher.  He is the 'poster boy' for the liberal babyboomer.  That is an accurate description of the babyboomer generation.

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (63)
  • Environment (42)
  • 2016 (42)
  • Republicans (37)
  • Elections (34)
  • Culture (34)
  • Bernie Sanders (33)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Media (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Education (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • GOP (22)
  • Science (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site