View Diary: "Revenge of the Reality-Based Community": must-read article by ex-GOP partisan Bruce Bartlett (157 comments)

•  I don't share your animosity, against converts. (21+ / 0-)

I'd like to convert all conservatives to liberals. (Or nearly all -- some debate is always a good thing; ideological purity and the party-line will lead anyone into trouble.) That means welcoming those who see the light, and forgiving them their past sins. I doubt he's all the way there, yet, but I'd like to encourage him and others.

Doesn't break my heart in the least, in case I wasn't clear. I just understand why his article is somewhat self-congratulatory.

Reagan won 525 out of 538 Electoral College votes, winning 49 states. I'd like to see a progressive Democrat do that. Hate and profanities don't win converts. I think of "hate-speech" as a right-wing trait, but I guess it exists in all parties and groups.

•  what you said (8+ / 0-)

A lot of "progressives" still haven't learned the lesson of the "Reagan Democrats".

All things in the sky are pure to those who have no telescopes. – Charles Fort

by subtropolis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 12:46:29 AM PST

•   Yes! "Hate and profanities don't win converts." (3+ / 0-)
      Sharon Wraight, beemerr90s, elwior

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 01:44:09 AM PST

•  He's no "convert", for chrissake! (1+ / 0-)
      WheninRome

Read for comprehension, please. He spends soooo much time in that article burnishing about his "conservative" credentials & bleating that he's "not a Democrat."

At best Bartlett is the sort of rightie we could make temporary tactical alliances with. But since he has no following & no clout, why bother? Screw him, I say again.

It's not a "fiscal cliff," it's a Fiscal Bluff--so why don't we call them on it?

by Uncle Cosmo on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:34:39 AM PST

•  Please read for comprehension. (5+ / 0-)
        bewild, nancelot, J M F, KenBee, elwior

I wrote:

I doubt he's all the way there, yet, but I'd like to encourage him and others.
        About Bush, Bartlett wrote:
        my utter disdain for Bush grew, as I recalled forgotten screw-ups and researched topics that hadn’t crossed my radar screen. I grew to totally despise the man for his stupidity, cockiness, arrogance, ignorance, and general cluelessness.
        That's a good step forward, one that I'd like to see everyone make who voted for Bush.

As Nina Katarina comments below:

Conversion narratives are important for us to read and understand. Any time a doctrinaire conservative turns away from the Dark Side, he or she brings us clues for how to bring along other people.
        I'd like to win a Democratic majority in the House in the 2014 midterm elections (no easy feat); how about you? To do so, we need to 'reach' and convert those who previously voted Republican, as well as motivating non-voters and the Dem base.
      •  You don't know what you're talking about... (3+ / 0-)

I've heard Bruce Bartlett speak no less than a dozen times on Pete Dominick's show on POTUS. About the third or fourth time, I heard his GOP pedigree, had to stop a moment, and ask, "This guy is a Republican?"

This article isn't like a "I've seen the light" admission from him.

Your short-sighted, outright dismissal of him is no better than what a lot of righties do to anyone on the left.

Why has gov't been instituted at all? Because the passions of man will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint. --A. Hamilton

by bobcatgrad on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 08:07:07 AM PST

•  This guy isn't a convert. (0+ / 0-)

It's not like he's now a liberal.   Get real.

When the going gets rough, the average go conservative. --Henry Rollins

by Beelzebud on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 09:58:49 AM PST

•  Kevin Phillips interview on Democracy Now today (2+ / 0-)
      Sharon Wraight, elwior

now there is a convert for you...convert to what since he is also critical of the party structures and politics as well...he is scathing about the current repubs.....his opinion seems to be PBO would not have won if the repubs had not been captured by the crazies and the religious loons...implications/interpretations (mine) that they are now dems almost if not in fact is scary...

someone(s) should diary it...

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 01:31:36 PM PST

•  In "The Emerging Republican Majority" (1969) (2+ / 0-)
        KenBee, Sharon Wraight

Phillips invented the GOP's infamous Southern Strategy, but my take is that he honestly wanted it to become the party of the common man. When instead it morphed into the party of the least common denominator, he bailed. It's hard to believe someone who started out like this would be on our side now, but anyone who's read later books like The Politics of Rich & Poor, Boiling Point, or American Theocracy would have little doubt.

by Uncle Cosmo on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:41:07 PM PST