View Diary: Chuck Schumer: Republicans want to 'divorce' Grover Norquist (76 comments)

•  This gets back to something I've feared (2+ / 0-)

about the "Great Recession". It sounds terrible but in reality it seems that it wasn't bad enough to cause a real change in the nation's politics. Of course had it been as horrible as the 30's there's no guarantee we'd have ended up with another FDR. Remember, there were quite a few fascist states created in the wake of that world wide economic meltdown. We're even seeing some of it on the rise in places like Greece right now. Who's to say we wouldn't have a similar outcome here?

To me progress is not so much a goal as it is a process and I believe it will not follow a straight course. Remember, the drops of water that form the river may not take the shortest path but they will still reach the ocean.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 02:02:03 PM PST

•  we may find out in the next few years (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

since we are about to hit a rather rough patch.

Europe is in recession and given the austerity mania there, any crash will be far worse than the one in 2008. China's economy is slowing down too.

There will probably be no global commitment to economic stimulus as there was after the 2008 crash--indeed, austerity and neo-Hooverism will probably be the chosen medicine for much of the world in response to the next crisis.

Two thirds of the entire United States was in a drought state in 2012, including 80% of all agricultural land. As a result, food prices are projected to go up next year.

So we're in for some tough times, I think.

"In America, the law is king." --Thomas Paine

by limpidglass on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 02:10:27 PM PST

•  Had we had McShame win in 08, (1+ / 0-)
      Nick Lento

we probably would be in a fascist spiral by now.
      As well as still in Iraq, escalating Afghanistan and fighting a new war in Iran. No stimulus, no unemployment extension, McCainvilles in major cities.....
      And to distract from the Admin's problems, open hunting season on "illegals".
      That was before Ol' Johny's ticker went and Palin took office.
      Then, all h3ll broke loose.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 02:44:00 PM PST

•  Wasn't bad enough? (0+ / 0-)

That depends mightily on who you are, and whether you lost your house or saw your family descend into poverty as you tried to remember what it was like to get up in the morning and go to work.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 02:52:11 PM PST

•  Yes, it's relative, I get that (2+ / 0-)

But we haven't seen the political or social changes that were the response to the Great Depression. OWS is a pale shadow of the labor movements of the 30's. And we didn't have 80% Democratic majorities in Congress for even 2 years let alone 6. People are clinging to the hope that if they don't rock the boat they'll be able to make it. Eventually. If you want to know how bad that delusion is take a look at how many long term unemployed voted for Romney a few weeks ago. I personally know of a couple in my little town. They've swallowed the "job creator" myth hook, line, and sinker.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 02:57:35 PM PST

•  In fairness, there don't seem to be any leaders. (0+ / 0-)

If you've been out of work a couple of years (I was out for 15 months at one point, and that was bad enough), it's real hard to feel very good about the guys in charge, especially when their priorities seem to be everywhere but with you.

But who's stepping up these days?

And where do you find out about them?
          Newspapers are dying.
          Television is fractured in a million directions.
          The internet is damned near nano-demographic.

The Tea Party and OWS were, in my humble opinion, different manifestations of the same frustration, and both have faded badly.

Maybe part of the problem is that few see them as different sides of the same coin -- energy that might build is divided.

I don't know.  I know that I'm frustrated at hell with the way things are.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:00:24 PM PST