View Diary: Reading, writing, retribution, and playing games help aging brains stay healthy (34 comments)

•  Thanks, I'll check it out. My favorite computer (12+ / 0-)

game is Civilization 5 which I can play for days at a time.

I promised myself that I would get back to it after the election. It seemed self-indulgent to play so much when so much seemed at stake politically.

But, then writing here is sort of addictive.  And, now I'm just about 28 posts away from making it to page one of the most prolific list which is having a non-rational tug on my vanity -- especially seeing how I'm anonymous here.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:42:48 PM PST

•  Oh I Have Been Playing Civ Since The Early 90s (7+ / 0-)

maybe my favorite video game of all time. Although Golden Eye on the N64 is close. I am more of a puzzle kind of guy, not remotely into the first person shooter game. But last week picked up Ghoest Recon, Borderlands 2, and Batman Arkham Asylum. I've only spend a few minutes with each one, but my gosh they look like they will be hundreds of hours of fun.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:46:51 PM PST

•  Great. Mere "hundreds" of hours of fun? If it (5+ / 0-)
        webranding, elwior, kyril, George3, dclawyer06

were possible to add up all the hours I've spent playing Civilizations, my guess it would have to be 10,000s if not more.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:49:36 PM PST

•  I Don't Even Want To Ponder (2+ / 0-)
          HoundDog, kyril

how many hours I've spend with Civ. But I have to admit I don't play as much as I used to, cause this new game has taken over the past year or so. Little Big Planet 2. I don't even really know who to explain the game. I mean it is meant for kids and I am not a kid :).

The game comes with an editor so you can create our own levels. There are something like 2M + online. I will literally play the game for the rest of my life!

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:53:40 PM PST

•  I look forward to checking it out. I need (3+ / 0-)
            webranding, CroneWit, glitterscale

something new my life for excitement.  I fear I may have max-out and saturated on politics, especially, of Democratic political leaders are about to let us down on Medicare and Medicaid after we worked so hard to reelect them.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:05:08 PM PST

•  If You Have Any 10-12 Year Old Kids In Your Life (1+ / 0-)
              HoundDog

you will become the coolest adult around. You can do a quick search on YouTube and find tons of game play video to see if it is something you want. It is visually stunning. Straightforward game play. It is a game you can play for hours and hours or just sit down for like 15 minutes, relax, play a level, and go do something else.

What type of games outside of Civ do you enjoy? I am always looking for new games.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:10:09 PM PST

•  I'm not the only Civ addict? (1+ / 0-)
          HoundDog

Shaka of the Zulu reportin'...

•  By the by... (1+ / 0-)
            HoundDog

I hate starting a new game only to realize, early on, that one of my neighbors is Montezuma of the Aztecs...
            He's such a prick.

•  Yes, I hate it when that happens. Even though I (1+ / 0-)
              dclawyer06

usually try to avoid early wars since the return on investment is usually higher for settlement expansion sometimes I make an exception for Montezuma and launch an early surprise attack to prevent expansion of settlement which you know are going to be nothing but trouble later.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site