View Diary: SCOTUS to decide on DNA collection in rape case. (89 comments)

•  When you're looking for flaws, (3+ / 0-)

nth degree analysis is useful -- don't apologize. But your DNA isn't going to change while you wait for a warrant. It could be that SCOTUS is hearing this in order to suggest some legal architecture to handle it.

It seems that cost will mediate ridiculous DNA sampling. Also -- collecting and analyzing are two different things. Most of the swabs will probably sit in a storage area, frankly.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Forget this, and attaining enlightenment will be the least of your problems.

by rb137 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:55:34 PM PST

•  Oh, I realize it is a powerful tool (3+ / 0-)
      rb137, Marjmar, Cassandra Waites

But that just gets back to the Stan Lee line, "With great power comes great responsibility". And if you haven't read up on chimeras you could be in for a shock -- their DNA could "change" while they're sitting there. Depending on where the sample is taken it could be completely different each time. Science fact is often stranger then science fiction.

To me progress is not so much a goal as it is a process and I believe it will not follow a straight course. Remember, the drops of water that form the river may not take the shortest path but they will still reach the ocean.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 06:59:57 PM PST

•  IMHO This Is More Of The Issue (3+ / 0-)
      rb137, ontheleftcoast, 207wickedgood

correct and accurate testing. When I watch something like Dateline I am blown away by how many people, often on "Death Row," we have in prison that if they'd just run a DNA test they'd find are innocent.

Clearly I would never want to be raped. Much less murdered. But my gosh, the government taking away my freedom for something I didn't do might be worse (at least for me).

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 07:00:33 PM PST

•  How do you mean -- improper testing? (0+ / 0-)

Do you think there is something they can do to change your DNA in situ?

by rb137 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 07:03:22 PM PST

•  ... (1+ / 0-)
          Cinnamon

I meant in vivo.

by rb137 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 07:04:24 PM PST

•  ugh. Vitro. (1+ / 0-)
            Cinnamon

My fingers are just not doing Latin tonight.

by rb137 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 07:05:20 PM PST

•  No, you can't reboot DNA (1+ / 0-)
              rb137

not in vitro, not yet at least. you can correct select physical deformities and problems to some degree, but DNA is in every nucleus of every cell of your body, no matter what that cell ends up being. To fix it you'd have to start with the egg just at the point between fertilization and splitting... and I mean, like, before there were 2 cells, not just one. Mommy and Daddy are barely done with their afterglow cigarettes or Gatorades, before the crazy Geneticists Minority Report Team  come crashing in to save the day. Ahem.  But once there is a human involved, done is done. You play the hand God dealt you from that point forward.

I know far too much about this than I ever hoped to know, and for all the worst reasons.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. ~ Yoda Political Compass: -8.50, -6.46

by Cinnamon on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 08:15:53 PM PST

•  I Seem To Be Confusing Two Issues (4+ / 0-)

cause I wasn't clear.

The first is I don't think you should be able to get my DNA without a court order.

The second issue is what I wasn't clear about. There are so many folks in jail that either didn't have their DNA run cause it was so long ago, or for costs it just wasn't run.

But a simple DNA test would show they are in jail for something they didn't do. That should be fixed yesterday.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 07:08:29 PM PST

• Jeb Bush (30)
  • Iraq (30)
  • Barack Obama (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Climate Change (29)
  • Culture (28)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (21)
  • LGBT (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site