View Diary: Jump in Sea Level Slams U.S. East Coast (108 comments)

•  Yes, we really need leaders, even when people (22+ / 0-)

agree on a problem.  Without active leadership, issues which are relatively slow-acting get neglected.

Instead of worrying so much about the economy, use other issues to FIX the economy:  Use climate change to create a new economy, new jobs, new solutions, new life patterns.

But that requires a leader along the lines of Franklin Roosevelt, Teddy Roosevelt, Jack, Bobbie or Ted Kennedy, Truman, Lincoln, even (ugh) Reagan (not that I liked anything he did, but he did cause dramatic change in the attitude of the nation).

Someone who is transformational has to lead.

I know the "fiscal molehill" is getting all the press and attention currently, but next year, we need comprehensive change in addressing this vital issue.

by YucatanMan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 02:48:24 PM PST

•  Gore was -- and still is -- widely ridiculed. (7+ / 0-)

Just spend 10 seconds on Google and you find crap like this put out by the "Science & Public Policy Institute".

And the wider public doesn't get it all yet. With the relentless barrage of Koch-funded faux-science garbage being parroted by the Right at every opportunity, climate change denial has only gotten worse, not better, in recent years. At least until very recently, the majority of the American public believed it's a hoax. Now, maybe, after Sandy, that's starting to change.

We do, desperately, need transformational leadership. Maybe PBO will evolve into that kind of leader in his second term. So far, not much coming out of Qatar to give us a lot of hope. We can only hope, and keep pushing. Before it's too late.

"But there is so much more to do." - Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

by flitedocnm on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 05:06:07 PM PST

•  Actually, I think the majority of Americans (4+ / 0-)

accepted the science around a dozen years ago or so.  But sustained campaigns of propaganda decreased the percentage.

At one point, it was 80%.  Although it bumps up and down, as recently as October,it was 74%.

By the science, Gore is a strong and reasonable leader.  By public perception -- and it is probably a very vocal 20% against him / 20% undecided / 60% for -- Gore is a target as you mention.  (numbers are just my guess)

We need a public perception turning point, exploited by a strong leader.

by YucatanMan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 05:31:48 PM PST

•  Many are aware (16+ / 0-)

but think it's just hopeless as the grip of grease is so entrenched. Two environmental biologists live on my block and both are very pessimistic about any meaningful action by our legislators and one of their major owner's, dirty energy. Money and a global economy that runs on grease.

One works for the state doing studies on dredging the mouth of the Columbia, and the effects on the sea/freshwater life. The other works for a environmental group that's doing fish studies and the degradation of the wetlands. They sadly seem resigned to the futility of their work. Sometimes they have some effect for the better but what these brave scientists are up against is immense... and no one in power is about to do what's necessary.

One of my son's is conservative and he drives a big honking, earth destroying GMC SUV. He's not a denier he just says nothing I can do that will change the world,  besides my company pays for my car and gas. Heath insurance is another matter and as it comes out of his pocket (his policy was declared a Cadillac). He's now a true believer of universal single payer healhcare for all.

Seems to me they use the lure of cheap domestic dirty energy to pacify the short term needs and comfort level of people. Keep that oil flowing. Amoral, shortsighted and living in Axelrod's ' the world as we find it.'

Leadership? Not even Bernie is willing to go against a car culture, a national infrastructure, business/economy and domestic built for grease. If it cost people more, reflected the real price of dirty energy then perhaps these people would not be so removed and so able to shrug off climate change/global warming as 'inevitable' as it's our 'lifestyle', and how can we survive without the spice. We do have feet.

How can the people, the majority, regardless of their political persuasion, get behind stopping what they see occurring to their world in real time? They are stuck in traffic or stuck working for their survival at the mercy of the by-partisan new world order. The one that refuses to look at anything other then the cries they conjure up to make some more profit. These crises like the faked cliffs of mass deception and the GNP and the mine shaft gap, suck all the air out of the reality that we are destroying our home, the earth.

My rant

•  Righteous Rant (12+ / 0-)

Often I feel like I am shouting into the wind. I got so pessimistic I had to get away from it all and move to Hawaii.

I got my health and well being back and I'm trying to make a difference, but it's hard when the destroyers have billions to burn.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 07:27:30 PM PST

•  Yeah, I try to be optimistic, but I cannot say (2+ / 0-)
            shaharazade, flitedocnm

that I disagree with what you've said at all.

I've driven a compact, gas-saving car of some type for over 30 years.   In the late 1970s, we used to think it would help save the world.  Even in the early 1990s, we thought we could make a difference.

I actually like driving smaller cars, as it's more convenient, easier to get around, easier to park, etc.   But it seems I've done that in vain -- saving a bit of money perhaps, but not the world.

Individual action can't make an impact in something this big.  It requires concerted effort and mandated, organized responses.  And that takes government action and government interaction.  And that does not appear to be in sight, perhaps outside Germany and a few other places too small to put a big enough dent in emissions.

by YucatanMan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 10:38:15 PM PST

•  Numbers are less for "anthropogenic" GW -- (1+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan

and of course the percentages vary widely by political affiliation, with the wide majority of Republicans drinking the Koch Kool-Aid.

From earlier this year, Gallup:

A slight majority of Americans, 53%, say global warming is caused by pollution resulting from human activities. Forty-one percent believe it stems from natural changes in the environment.

"But there is so much more to do." - Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

by flitedocnm on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 08:40:05 AM PST

•  Yes, an important distinction. (1+ / 0-)
            flitedocnm

The "can we do anything about it" numbers are lower by a lot.

An individual sees the earth as a tiny speck in a vast place, so they do not believe they affect the whole world.  The human mind is not built to comprehend the entire planet and the effects of billions of people without doing some work.  So, the default is, "There's no way I'm changing the planet."

Sadly, it is hard to reach some of these people.  They're huddled around their photos of temperature gauges in asphalt parking lots and think it's all baloney.  Their kids will suffer for their obstinance, but I don't want my family to suffer for their stupidity.

by YucatanMan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 09:23:04 AM PST